Northern City Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by samuelbrookes1, Apr 6, 2021.

1. samuelbrookes1

samuelbrookes1 Active Member

Northern City Line
    This suggestion is for the Northern City Line, from Moorgate to Stevenage (via Welwyn Garden City and Hertford North), with branches to London King's Cross and London St Pancras International. The line is 78 miles (127km) in total.

Rolling Stock:
    Class 700
    [​IMG]
    Class 717
    [​IMG]
    Class 800/801
    [​IMG]

Stations
    This line has 34 stations:
    London St Pancras International, London King's Cross, Moorgate, Old Street, Essex Road, Highbury & Islington, Drayton Park, Finsbury Park, Harringay, Hornsey, Alexandra Palace, New Southgate, Oakleigh Park, New Barnet, Hadley Wood, Potters Bar, Brookmans Park, Welham Green, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City, Welwyn North, Knebworth, Stevenage, Bowes Park, Palmers Green, Winchmore Hill, Grange Park, Enfield Chase, Gordon Hill, Crews Hill, Cuffley, Bayford, Hertford North and Watton-at-Stone.

Services
    Stations in brackets are where the service would continue to if the route was extended further.
    Stations in italics are where services would continue to if the player owns East Coastway.
    The rolling stock is indicated in red.
    The frequency, in trains per hour (tph) is shown in blue.
    The time taken (h:m) is shown in green.

Great Northern

• Moorgate to Welwyn Garden City 717 4tph 00:48.
    • Moorgate to Hertford North 717 2tph 00:53.
    • Moorgate to Stevenage 717 2tph 01:05.
    Thameslink
    • London King's Cross to Stevenage (Cambridge) 700 2tph 00:34.
    • London St Pancras International (Brighton) to Stevenage (Cambridge) 700 2tph 00:31.
    • London St Pancras International (Horsham) to Stevenage (Peterborough) 700 2tph 00:31.
    London North Eastern Railway
    • London King's Cross to Stevenage (Harrogate/Bradford Forster Square) 801 1tph 00:22.
    • London King's Cross to Stevenage (Lincoln/York) 800 1tph 00:22.
    All other LNER services don't call at any stations on the route apart from London King's Cross.

Map
    upload_2021-4-6_10-23-24.png
    This map shows the stations in this route.

• Like Like x 4
  2. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I like this but the Thameslink (and I would imagine Great Northern too) licenses are hard to get. I think this would be more likely (and I'd prefer it) with First Capital Connect running the lot, with whatever traction that would Involve.

3. samuelbrookes1

samuelbrookes1 Active Member

I believe that under FCC, the Thameslink services were run with class 319s/377s, and the Great Northern services were run with class 313s.

• Like Like x 1
  4. trainsimplayer

That wouldn't be too hard to make then either, 377s and 313s are already a thing for East Coastway (well, the 377 anyway) and then they would only have to make the 319.

5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

If they took it back to FCC days then you'd be talking 43s, 91s (along with DVT), possibly 180s, Mk3 Coaches...

6. seandouglas

seandouglas Active Member

I'm confused why this is, isn't it the same parent company as Southern?

Love the suggestion! I hope that one day we get ECML and the Hertford loop is a great addition to add variety :D. Hope an ECML extension to Peterborough or further is on the cards too!

• Like Like x 1
  7. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

We've had this discussion before

Just because they share parent companies doesn't mean that an agreement with one "daughter company" means you have complete access to another "daughter company"
    Just because you have an agreement to use a certain logo, livery or asset doesn't mean you have the same for all logos, liveries or assets held by that company or group
    Just because you have an agreement to use those logos liveries and assets doesn't mean the other daughter company will be willing to sign up for their logos, liveries and assets
    There could be issues we don't know of between DTG and GTR since the release of SCW that mean they're not talking
    Or DTG may just not have asked (yet)
    Or a hundred other reasons...

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  8. trainsimplayer

That's what I thought at first. I presume the management of the individual sectors (like southern) have different views on the matter.

9. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

Southern, Thameslink and Great Northern are all sub brands of Govia Thameslink Rail and are run as a single franchise. Where the problem may rise is the Thameslink/Great Northern branding was not their creation. Instead it came from Whitehall and even before the end of the FCC franchise some 365s were painted in the Thameslink livery - similarly the 700s were DfT procured and some were testing at Wildenwath in the Thameslink colours before it was announced that Govia had won the contract.

That probably complicates things compared with Southern which originated with Govia.

• Helpful Helpful x 3