Ntp Class 47 Brakes

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by thomastl59374, May 22, 2021.

1. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I've done something wrong but when driving the Br 47 from NTP, I always here a hissing sound you get when applying the brakes. This doesn't stop and eventually starts to show about 4.1 on the brake cylinder gauge. Does anyone know why this happens?

2. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Sounds to me as if you're using the vaccuum brake rather than the air brakes...

3. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

No I checked the brake selector and it says it is on air passenger. Both of the vaccuum gauges read 0. I then changed to vaccum breaks so that the gauges read around the max value for the vaccuum brakes but over time these slowly decreased and I had the same issue

4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It is a bug, where an actual feature of the brakes is happening when it shouldn’t be. Overcharging the brake pipe. It has been like this for a long time.

You have to be very careful never to go into the “release” position on the brake lever and only ever go to the “running” position to release the brakes, otherwise you overcharge the brakes and this causes the brakes to later leak on again. The hissing is the brake pipe slowly returning to normal pressure after being overcharged.

It is a feature of the brake system but it is far too sensitive in the game (a bug) and you can even get it without ever going into “release” but if you do, even for a fraction of a second, you are guaranteed to get the issue. There is a procedure to rectify it when it happens but it rarely works due to the bug.

That procedure is to hold the brake lever in “release” for 30 seconds or more. Return it to “running” and then don’t use the brake again until the brake pipe returns to the normal pressure, which takes several minutes. Unfortunately, doing this hardly ever works on the Class 47 in the game.

The Class 45 has the same feature but it works correctly on that train.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1