Ntp Inappropriate Routing, Signals And Speed Limits

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by Trim, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Trim

Trim Active Member

I have just taken the 11:41 Leeds to Huddersfield DMU into Huddersfield, slowing down as expected for the 40 and then the 15 mph speed limits, when I was rather taken aback to be sent over the northernmost crossover to the down line, the one that's intended to give access to the down station sidings [edit: and Hillhouse Sidings, of course], while I was doing about 40 mph. Clearly this is much too fast for this crossover, so I walked up to the location to have a closer look at what was going on.

The crossover appears to be a 1 in 10. Ths similar adjacent crossover from the shunting line to the down main is given a 15 mph speed limit, which seems okay to me.

In the up direction (the direction I was travelling in), there is no speed limit marker at all, nor is there a shunting signal by the points, so I walked back down the line till I came to signal HL644, which does incorporate a shunt signal, presumably for this crossover. All well and good, but I was sure I came through on a straight yellow, so I replayed the scenario.

I was right, and when I came to the crossover, I discover that the speed limit is still 70 mph at that point. Oh!
    upload_2020-1-26_9-20-31.jpeg

upload_2020-1-26_9-20-56.jpeg

Clearly this crossover should never be used to send passenger trains into the bay platforms; it is only needed for access to sidings, and trains using it probably need to be stopped at HL644 before the shunt aspect can be cleared. For passenger trains, the crossover beyond signal HU77 allows access to all platforms, and this should be used instead.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

Yes, I've spilled my tea a few times there as well.

• Like Like x 1