Nwc Crewe To Holyhead - Bangor Run Round

Discussion in 'Creation Centre' started by Limeyfox, Dec 30, 2022.

1. Limeyfox

Limeyfox Well-Known Member

Hello all
    I’m hoping for a little technical assistance with writing a scenario for the above route, set in the mid-90s when the majority of fast services along the NWC were loco hauled. My scenario is essentially a Bangor-Crewe service but it commences on board a terminating down train in Bangor down platform, and the first part of the scenario will involve the (in)famous ‘run round’ move, the sequence of which is as-follows:
    1. Loco detaches from down train, runs forward into Belmont Tunnel (down main)
    2. Loco reverses back through Bangor station via down main line (up direction) into Bangor Tunnel (down main)
    3. Loco runs forward into Bangor down platform, recouples to coaching stock. Driver changes cabs.
    4. Loco propels stock into Belmont Tunnel (down main)
    5. Loco draws stock forward into Bangor Up platform. Load passengers and depart for Crewe.

My difficulty is trying to get the dispatcher to set the route for movement 2. I.e. the reversing move through the down main line in the Up direction. All lines are set for moves in either direction, but the points refuse to change and the signal (B31) remains at red and will not TAB to clear. Even SPADing the signal doesn’t work as the points won’t change.

Edit: Just to add, the scenario editor seems to accept the sequence of routes but the simulator dispatcher just won’t set them in practice (for now I’m using the pre-set markers Belmont Tunnel Down Main and Bangor Tunnel Down Main as stopping points, in the final version I’d like to try and create custom markers just inside each tunnel portal so you don’t have to run so far into each tunnel, as-per real life.)

Any ideas? It would be a shame to give up as it’s a really interesting manoeuvre involving propelling stock into a tunnel which was pretty unusual even for the mid 1990s. Sadly TS always seems to have these sorts of difficulties as soon as you want to do anything ‘interesting’ even when all the lines appear to be signalled and set up for it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  2. Limeyfox

For reference, the run round sequence in real life can be seen on this video here, from the 02:50 mark

3. Johnno124

Johnno124 Active Member

Make sure the loco is stopping past the signal link so that the signal is actually able to clear. if the loco is stopping short of the link it won't be able to reset the signalling. Also check that the signal allows for the move you are wanting to do. Press space a few times in the Scenario Editor to see where the Signal links are.

4. Limeyfox

Thanks, checked the loco stops in the right place. Not knowing how signal links work (and not wanting to mess with them) I’ve got round the problem by converting the loop entry-exit points to manual vice auto.