Old Retired Engineer - But Not The Railroad Kind.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by capt.al.brown, Sep 9, 2020.

1. capt.al.brown

capt.al.brown New Member

Hi - I am a 70+ year old newbie and just downloaded TSW 2020 & TSW 2 for Windows 10 from Steam.

My father was a fireman / engineer for the Milwaukee Road. We lived in Milwaukee. Around the age of 5 or so, I remember the thrill of riding with him in an old small steam locomotive providing yard movements at night I watched the sparks fly around from the firebox. He would comfort me moving me toward the rear of the cab where I would be safe. We would often walk through the yard together visiting various maintenance and support buildings. I would watch as he prepped his employee locker for the next trip and picked up his paycheck on the way out. One day, I had the thrill of riding up in the cab of an F7A diesel rotating on the yard turntable. That was a big thrill! Many years later, I had the privilege of riding in the cab with him as he drove the famous Cannonball Express – a daily small commuter that ran between Milwaukee and Watertown Wi.

Later in life I myself worked for both the Milwaukee Road (CMSP &P) and Northwestern Railroad (C&NW). I was an engineering student interning by working summers between semesters in the engineering offices. Later, after being married a number of years and becoming an office bound type electrical engineer, I started HO model railroading. The hobby took over half of our basement where I designed my own layouts and built unique model locomotives and cars using photographs of the real thing as a guide. Switching in the yards was my favorite activity. Now I have the opportunity to relive my younger years on a computer requiring far less money build time and frustration.

I started playing both games now for a few days learning the many keyboard commands, procedures, locomotives and routs. For now, I am still working my way through the Training scenarios.

I do have a question: How are new updates downloaded and installed? Do I download them from Dovetail? If so, where on their website are they located (URL please)? If Steam provides these updates and installs them on my computer automatically, how do I confirm I have the latest update?

2. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

3. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Welcome capt.al.brown, an amazing history of railways! Always something special about riding in the cab that you will never forget!