Gameplay Pc Editor - Level Sequences.

Discussion in 'PC Editor Discussion' started by greggryan2, Oct 6, 2023.

1. greggryan2

greggryan2 Active Member

Hi,

Just wanting to ask when it comes to level sequences. Should we be anchoring assets we place on Scenario Tiles to anything. Reason I ask is I have a level sequence which plays on reaching Retford however when it plays it appears the keyframes for the XYZ is not as they were when playing the Level Sequence in the viewport not in PIE.

I have another level sequence that plays at start of scenario and that one works fine but I'm not sure if this is because the tiles already loaded as I place myself at scenario start location before I begin a PIE session.

2. greggryan2

greggryan2 Active Member

Here is two videos one showing what is happening in the PIE session on finishing my instruction at Retford. And another video showing what should be happening which is played in editor on sequencer without a PIE session.

3. josh_the_tech

josh_the_tech Active Member

Reviving a bit of an old thread. Did you get a solution to this greggryan2 as I have the same issue with my scenario when I don't have the tiles already loaded in the editor, or when I start the scenario in game after using the cooking and packing mod.

4. greggryan2

greggryan2 Active Member

So I ended up using a spline l.

So attach the actor to spline and animated the position the actor is on the spline.

The spline is placed in route and the level sequence attaches actor to the spline and stuff

5. josh_the_tech

Thanks greggryan2. I'll be honest I didn't understand about 78% of that lol. But I'll do some research on Splines and Actors in the context of Level Sequences. Fingers crossed!

Just thought I should clarify. I don't have any assets in my Level Sequence, I just have a camera path, which seemingly lines up to the Player actor when the tiles aren't loaded.

This is how it displays if I'm already in the area the Level Sequence is, in PIE (timestamp 10:09)

And this is what it looks like if I start PIE from the route origin (different set of tiles) or in game once cooked:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  6. josh_the_tech

Sorry to ping greggryan2 but wondered if you had any thoughts on my follow up post on what the cause could be?

7. greggryan2

greggryan2 Active Member

so what you could do is have a spline actor that is placed in the right place and the spline is created how it's needed.

Then at the point where you need it you can have your level sequence attach a camera to the spline that's in the level and you simple then can animate the camera along the spline how you need.

8. josh_the_tech

Thanks. I’ll have a go at the weekend as I’ll need to research how splines work and then how to anim a camera along said spline.

9. greggryan2

greggryan2 Active Member

so for the spline, make just a blueprint actor and add spline component.

For the animation along the spline, you add the spline actor to your level sequence and create a camera from within the level sequence. You then attach the camera in level sequence to the spline actor and you should be able to attach it to the spline component within the spline actor.

You should then have a 0 - 1 value you can change on the camera for where it is on the spline.

10. josh_the_tech

Well... that didn't go so well. I managed to get some kind of movement but let's put it this way, it span... a lot... Haha. Would certainly cause some motion sickness.

It's really frustrating that on worlds where it's streamed the level sequencer behaves so stupidly. You'd hope it would work as you'd expect it to...

Getting quite frustrated with this now.

DTG Michael I wonder if you had these kind of issues with the camera level sequences on the route intro for Spirit of Steam and if so, what did you do to make them work?

11. greggryan2

greggryan2 Active Member

what you mean it span a lot ?

You should be able to do the spline as needed. You can add a fade to the level sequence if you prefer to fade the camera in and out at points.

I think the issue is with the way it streams stuff in. If the actor is in the level from the off it's fine. If however it is brought in and your translate it with level sequence you then get a mis match on XYZ between the component location and the world location. Mostly causing random offset.

The way DTG Liam did there's was to use a spline for the car to move along and a camera parented to the car.This was for one of the 323 scenarios on manchester line.

12. josh_the_tech

I'd have to record it to show what I mean. One thing I wasn't sure on was how much of these "move objects along a spline" tutorial I actually needed to follow for the use case.

I'll try again as I would like it working, as well as getting the nice easing you get with a level sequence on the spline so it looks more realistic, rather than just a constant speed and a sudden stop.

Worst case I've rendered the level sequence out as a video and I'd just play it as a pre-rendered cut scene if I really have to.

13. greggryan2

greggryan2 Active Member

arr okay so you might go down a garden path. So all you need is the below -
    - Actor with a spline component inside. (Placed in the level in right place and spline drawn out).
    - In your level sequence you would create a camera.
    - Your add your actor to the level sequence and then within the right click options of the camera you can attach it to the actor and the spline component specifically.
    - You can then add a variable as to where on the spline the camera is and in level sequence you then keyframe the position of camera along spline.
    - You can also animate the camera itself if needed and it'll remain relative to the position on the spline you set.

Be careful following tutorials as they will have you do a lot of BP code which in your case isn't needed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. josh_the_tech

This is useful as I wasn't sure if the BP was needed, as it didn't really make sense, but then it's Unreal and I don't have experience with it.

I'll try it again once I've finished up the first scenario as I've just got my timetable working well and need to finish up some other objectives. Maybe in a couple of weekends time.

15. josh_the_tech

Good news greggryan2, this worked! I also used the Camera Rail Rig to do my spline using the tutorial linked below:

matinakbary could you add this video tutorial to the section with my video about making cinematics?

• Like Like x 1
  16. greggryan2

greggryan2 Active Member

Yeah I forgot there is a camera rig in UE haha.