Peak Forest Railway: Ambergate – Chinley & Buxton Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dtg_jan, May 9, 2023.

1. johncoaltrain

johncoaltrain Member

I’d second this, but really enjoying the route so far and agree with all the positive feedback on the thread.

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  2. nate48773

nate48773 Active Member

Banking services appear to be spawned the wrong way round, e.g. brake van behind 8F, no brake van in front of 4F. Other than that, solid route! Sounds good, looks good and good services.

3. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I don’t see why. Other routes aren’t as pale as this. Why can’t this route have similar lighting to them?

4. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

Only had chance to do a couple of drives but very glad I picked this up. The route looks great, signalling is superb and I love the 4F, apart from the loud safety valves. The whistle is wonderful. If only it had more to do besides shunting and banking. Crying out for some local services. Well done to all those involved.

• Like Like x 5
  5. praxidike.meng

praxidike.meng Well-Known Member

I've done some runs with the Jubilee and I can say: What a great route, just a joy to ride! It's got quite a different feel to it than SoS, much more rural I would say. Stations and lineside clutter are very detailed and distant scenery seems solidly done also. Have yet to take on 4F, but first impressions of this are really good. Well done!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

Is it possible to turn off those "driver assistance " messages? Getting reminded about cylinder drains gets old pretty quick.

• Like Like x 10
  7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Absolutely, IMHO the lighting is awful and making it look like an Unity game. Even in cloudy conditions over exposed and over bright. It's a shame as you can see the work that has gone into creating the route itself and the little scenic touches. Niddertalbahn does not look at all like this so I presume it's an environmental setting that is applied on a route basis.

This could be so great but DTG Matt the lighting needs to get sorted, even more of a priority than putting something together for the missing services at this stage.

• Like Like x 7
  8. opswintercourse

opswintercourse Member

Got about an hour in so far, bit of playing about rather than getting too serious:

Buck-eye couplings on mk1 coaches should be down by default not up (BR sectional appendix refers)
    Is there more to the banking scenarios than just tying the 4F to the back of the train
    If a loco is solely confined to a location shunting (as per several 4F scenarios) it should show a light either end and a white light either end as per the 08 - be great if the game mentioned that
    If you are struggling to stop loaded unfitted wagons pin some of the handbrakes down so you are pulling against the wagon brakes - grey wagons are unfitted, bauxite wagons are fitted
    When propelling into Buxton you are using the wrong trailing crossover, it should be the one closest to the shed not the one furthest away - this is why the signalling is set up the way it is

Liking the addition of the High Peak stuff, haven't looked to see if the wrecked wagon is in the catch pit or not, from memory it would have been there by this point. [removed - JD - hilarious but inappropriate]

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 6
  9. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

That's my main gripe with Peak Forest. It almost looks like there's some filter in place that is washing out all the colors and making the lighting look overexposed. DTG need to consult TSG on what they did with Niddertalbahn because that route actually has authentic colors and exposure levels.

• Like Like x 5
  10. opswintercourse

opswintercourse Member

I agree, forgot to mention that above, when it suddenly started raining the route looked far better than the brilliant white sun

• Like Like x 2
  11. TripleJ814

TripleJ814 Well-Known Member

I don’t own the route so I can’t comment on that (but tbf from what I’ve seen in the TSC Discord it seems alright)

What I will say is that I wish the 4F from this route had a layer for LiverpoolCrewe (and maybe West Somerset?). I think that would benefit all as Peak Forest would have more value to it, and LiverpoolCrewe would have a much more interesting timetable.

• Like Like x 2
  12. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

Seems like an another miss opportunity. Not really into steam but would think it would had been a big selling point. Wondering how many total services are in the route?. Also can’t wait to the NYT timetable. Almost can’t believe is actually happening……..

• Like Like x 1
  13. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I am very tempted to get this route but still managing to hold back so far.

I have just watched one of the streams where they went through all the services. For the Jubilee there are no services starting for around three hours in the morning so it does seem to have large gaps.

I think the 4F could do with some passenger services just to mix it up a bit more. The 8F has some nice looking services.

I have just had a wonderful run on SOS but it still feels so empty so a layer for the 4F on there would be great too.

I watched the Dadrail stream earlier where he drives the 101 on the route. It really would be great to get it on Peak Forest it would add something slightly different to the steam engines as giving you a different view of the route or part of it at least.

• Like Like x 5
  14. TripleJ814

TripleJ814 Well-Known Member

Ah yes, that’s the other thing I forgot to mention as well

Some sort of future “diesel expansion pack” for Peak Forest would be wonderful too. That, and the 4F layering back into LiverpoolCrewe would really make me purchase this route in a heartbeat.

• Like Like x 6
  15. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Yes same here, the missing diesels and corresponding DMU services are the only things holding me back, otherwise I am very tempted especially after the initial positive feedback.

• Like Like x 4
  16. OldVern

Well the Jubilee is still a bit flawed, the sound just isn't right compared to the TSC version. All sorts of weird scuffing and scraping sounds, white noise and what sounded like chuffs even with the regulator shut.

A Jubilee would never have been wasted hauling a four coach local from Buxton. At this point it would have been a DMU (104) to Manchester or maybe a 24 or 25 hauling the train.

There's a nasty speed limit trap at Chinley North, too. If you're signalled to cross over you go from 70 MPH to 15 MPH with 400 yards notice. Another example why we need better warning of advance speed limits.

Anyhow now gone off the rails with a Class 45 + 9 (maximum load allowed it seems) from Chinley down to Ambergate. Far more satisfactory and IMHO this route needs a proper diesel layer ASAP and chuck the steam out. After that probably do a Class 101 stopping service, then a pair of 20's on a through freight.

• Like Like x 7
  17. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That's just UK railroading. Route knowledge!

• Like Like x 3
  18. Kim1087

Kim1087 Well-Known Member

The Peak forest shows up on the wrong filter, It should be under 'United Kingdom' but it shows up under 'Other'

PC/Steam

19. ducatiant

ducatiant Member

I travel down the A6 between Belper and Cromford, next to the line on a regular basis and pretty much everywhere looks spot on - very recogniseable - I know I'm in the area! Love the High Peak Junction area, if it had a good representation of Leawood pumping station, it'd be perfect. Well done guys.

20. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Thanks for the feedback, so far folks. Glad a lot of you are enjoying it!

• Like Like x 3
  21. toms87

toms87 Well-Known Member

I´ve bought this route, even though I spend 99% of my time in TSC classic route boulding or driving electric and diesel. So I´m no expert on steam or TSW 3.
    The tutorials are done really well. For someone like me, who has never dealt with steam in TS Classic or TSW, it really helped me get a basic grip of how to use these three locos.
    Then i jumped in to the introduction and the signaling tutorial, which also found to be well done. Afterwards I played a passanger service from Buxton. What can I say? This route is a real challange. No simple A to be B driving. You really have to work these machines and get a hang of speed changes, step gradients and so on. From what I´ve seen, there are also banking operations, shunting, making use of turntables etc... that´s great! Really gives you lots to do. The scenery also looks great and gives a authentic "oldern days" vibe.
    Added to that, there is the hiking path, old people added to passangers and many more things to explore. The only thing I don´t like is the lighting, as pointed out by others.

In closing: after the Niddatalbahn, this route also seems reach the standards, of what I always had hoped TSW was going to be. Well done DTG. This is the way to go.

• Like Like x 3
  22. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  23. phillip.good

phillip.good Well-Known Member

Really enjoying but noticed something odd. Regardless of the firing type you choose (manual or assisted) you cannot get control over the fireman, they keep going at the shovelling like a loon! This can’t be a steam physics update issue as I went back to SOS and it’s still the same as it was last Friday

Btw, should say this is just jubilee and 8F.

Also, there seems to be a glitch with the jubilee animation as the fireman keeps forgetting the shovel and uses his empty hands to coax coal into the firebox!

Last edited: May 10, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  24. opswintercourse

opswintercourse Member

I've also had a couple of random Service Failure messages ending the game on timetable mode but I've not done anything wrong?

25. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

By any chance are you using manual firing? Your fire burning out will trigger a service failure.

• Like Like x 1
  26. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

Have they made the AI trains have chuffs and sound when moving?

27. BlackSkyuk

BlackSkyuk Active Member

Peak Forest Railway Passenger Timtable (PDF).

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  28. phillip.good

phillip.good Well-Known Member

What he said!

• Like Like x 1
  29. graham.haddon

graham.haddon Well-Known Member

Fantastic route. I am really enjoying it so far. Only gripes I have so far are the slight superelevation that should be present at Matlock station is just flat track in a 50mph speed limit section and also the curves out of Buxton in the 40mph and the first part of the 50mph section aren't superelevated. Probably missed because it should only be a very slight cant.

30. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Nope.

31. toms87

toms87 Well-Known Member

I second this ... I am pleasantly suprised how fun and entertaining this DLC is. Played the first scenario and it was fire.Interacting with station staff, filling up the water on the loco, using the turntable, switching points by hand. Great stuff! I hope they expand the timetable and throw some DMU´s in the mix. It´s a great map!

32. graham.haddon

graham.haddon Well-Known Member

I think the developers have probably known for some time why it happens but is going to be a pain to fix so it hasn't been as yet.

33. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

My personal theory is that the simplified model for the AI trains is too simple to figure out when it should chuff.

• Like Like x 1
  34. R3DWolf91

R3DWolf91 Well-Known Member

Here's some I came across this evening, Matt. I submitted a support ticket as well. The 4F works fine, but both the Jubilee (head-out camera is all over) and the 8F (head out camera is below the window sill, at an odd angle) have issues. These clips were recorded on a Series X.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. richardwwoodward

richardwwoodward Active Member

I held off buying MML and I am extremely happy that I did. I bought the Peak Forest DLC today with trepidation, but I am so glad I bought it. It looks absolutely beautiful, and I have replayed the twilight setting for the London St. Pancras to Manchester Central scenario three times now. It has gorgeous lightning and the stations at dusk look stunning! It’s a beautiful route and so enjoyable. DTG have done themselves proud with this one. It’s like getting in a Time Machine and being transported back to a bygone age.

One criticism; the Fowler 4F safety valve. Please, either seriously turn down the volume, or disable it entirely.
    IMG_5913.jpeg

Last edited: May 10, 2023
    • Like Like x 8
  36. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Thoroughly enjoying it up to now, lots of atmosphere! As others have said, a green diesel DLC pack with a peak and a class 104 I'm sure would sell well and really be the icing on the cake.

• Like Like x 8
  37. bartolomaeusz

bartolomaeusz Well-Known Member

It's awesome, the echo on the 4F whistle is amazing, as well as the scenery. For improvements I would say, cut the volume on that safety valve like in SoS; and for all steam locos - add a bit of grey / black smoke so it looks more like a real loco. Thanks for another excellent Route.

• Like Like x 2
  38. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Feels so much more real compared to the 8F and Jubilee.

• Like Like x 1
  39. OldVern

I suspect under semaphore signalling you would or should get a clear on approach for this type of speed drop. However this is after all a game for entertainment and as previously suggested, DTG need to look at a method of alerting players to a following speed restriction if it’s less than the braking distance from the next one displayed.

Good to see that people are enjoying the route and I must give the 4F a try once I’ve purged my diesel cravings.

However and I will repeat it again, the lighting is letting everything down at present. More so when you do a SP run where you cannot choose other than bright sunshine. At certain angles, it’s like someone has sprayed eggshell varnish over everything, particularly the ground. In fact, it looks worse than Unity. If this style is a particular indulgence of one of the route builders or artists at DTG, then high time the EP called them in for a serious talking to (tea and biscuits optional) and in no uncertain terms instructed to apply more conventional and realistic techniques.

And while I’ve got my soapbox out, this route again illustrates why we need a better scenario planner. As SP2 seems to have gone the same way as the once promised renameable station signs for TSC, at the least give us: 1. A consist builder, 2. Access to the spawn and takeout portals in the route and 3. As an absolute minimum, more start and finish points. At the moment it looks as if starting from Chinley, the maximum length train you can choose is 9 coaches (with the Class 45). I want to try my hand at running 12 or 13 coaches across the route.

• Like Like x 7
  40. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

In the timetable service I was playing I got a warning. I got a clear signal on the shorter semaphore pole, which means diverging route. then it is down to route knowledge to know the speed restriction required for the diverging route.

• Like Like x 3
  41. OldVern

Fair enough, but then my earlier point refers. Real drivers would have spent several weeks learning this route, travelling over before being allowed to drive under instruction. We get to play it straight off and then (perhaps) might not return to it for several weeks. Some compromises need to be available, the best solution either being the tape display of TSC or the little Track Monitor in MSTS/OR.

42. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

I agree with this, there should be a way how "simulate" this route knowledge via UI, i.e. having another number next to the closest speed restriction, showing the most restricting speed in i.e. 1mile...

Workaround right now is to pause the game, and in the speed chart you can see all upcoming speed restrictions.

43. BeastyBill88

BeastyBill88 Well-Known Member

Loving the new route, only done the training modules and a shunting timetable with the 4F but so far so good, however the safety values on the 4F go from being really loud to very quiet every few seconds when the needle is around the red pressure limit marker (I'm playing on PC - Steam), any chance of getting a hotfix patch for this so it's the same as the 8F and Jubilee?

• Like Like x 1
  44. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

Even I purchased this route, thanks to watching a couple of streams!

This route went from never purchase in a million years, to a pre-order purchase (last minute!) That’s not a reflection on the route in the slightest. Steam just isn’t my thing at all, I prefer modern routes/modern DMU’s/EMU’s.

It’s not a purchase I regret in the slightest, it’s an area I know very well. Driving Steam is a brand new challenge and still getting the hang of it, it’s not that hard to be honest.

The route just screams Derbyshire and the Peak District, despite being set 60 years ago, there’s locations I recognise, the Peak Forest area looks incredible, scenery is stunning and for me it’s really is something different.

Playing in clear settings, it does look “washed out” which is a shame in places. On the other hand, playing at night is well a bit pointless, I appreciate what little lighting there would be but I may as well have just stared at a black screen! The only lighting the occasional station, signal and glow from the firebox!

Overall, it’s an incredible route and massive well done to DTG, because it’s a route I wouldn’t have bought in a million years, I will say I bought it more for the location than the Steam itself but they’ve got this one spot on, but thanks to the preview streams and other videos on YouTube I jumped in and bought it. I’ve enjoyed so much, so you do have a new Steam customer. Just look at it, wow!

upload_2023-5-10_9-45-47.jpeg
    upload_2023-5-10_9-46-10.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  45. theorganist

Thanks for that, I was wavering but looking at the paucity of that timetable I will continue to hold off. It actually is worse the SOS's passenger timetable. Some stations don't have any services between 9am and 5pm and it looks like Rowsley doesn't have any at all in one direction!

Considering service mode is supposed to be one of the biggest selling points of the sim why are we getting such poor timetables as this!

The route does look fantastic however.

• Like Like x 6
  46. deeuu#6908

deeuu#6908 Well-Known Member

I don't think passenger services are the main focus for this route, at least as it stands at release, the 4F is a shunter and a banker, I'd say that considering that those things are currently unique to TSW, that is the main focus, and passenger services have taken a back seat.

47. theorganist

Well a 4F would have been more than a banker and shunter to be honest.

I understand that freight is a large focus of this route but in the real railway freight was not operated at the expense of passenger services. The passenger timetable is much reduced from what it would have been, in fact it is a shadow. Not forgetting SOS still has the Crewe to Liverpool stopping services missing a year later.

I enjoy freight too and the freight movements look very interesting but I want a route to be as realistic as possible.

Look at the fuss made of the MML and NYT timetables, something SHG and DTG are doing something about. I hope DTG do improve the passenger timetable for this route as they have sort of alluded to.

• Like Like x 1
  48. farLander#3643

farLander#3643 Member

I can concur with others and say the the 4F safety valve is painfully loud compared to that of the 8F and Jubilee. The ramp up in safety valve volume is cool (if it's prototypical. I don't know that for certain) but it's very tiresome in a loop of ramping up, max volume, silence, then ramping up again every 20 seconds.

Considering the difference it might already be fixed but somehow didn't get implemented yet. I'm fairly confident this will be resolved in the next week or so

• Like Like x 4
  49. bogallan1

bogallan1 Member

Yes, I agree with most of the comments on the feed. The route is most enjoyable to drive, the scenery and stations are very well detailed in my opinion, the only downside for me is the “washed out” lighting in some cases. To me, at times not just this route, but others too are overexposed. Worth buying it for sure though.

• Like Like x 4
  50. OldVern

What we need now from DTG is to follow in the footsteps of SHG on MML, with an open and honest list of fixes and improvements they will be working on, including but not limited to:
    4F safety valve sound.
    Lighting.
    Timetable gaps.
    A diesel layer, whether complimentary or additional payware add on (the latter to include a new Class 104 DMU).
    Safe working - shunt moves from the sidings at Buxton need the section signal ahead of the stop marker to be clear.
    More spawning points for scenario planner so we can run longer and more trains in scenario, including access to the portals.

Or will this route now it’s released, shuffle off to the dustbin with the other forgotten DLC?

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 1