Powerless Sections

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by geloxo, Mar 31, 2019.

1. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Another important feature missing in electrified routes are the powerless sections or borders between two power sub-stations. I´m not sure if this is really properly included, as in the german routes there are some signals related to electric traction at the sidings, for instance, but none at the main line. In NEC we have a substation building indeed.

What is missing is the player interaction and the effect in case there´s no action, I think. Currently nothing happens unless there is a bug and we have a missing catenary wire, as in some parts of NEC route, and then you temporarily loose traction. You should need to open the main switch to cross the section to avoid the voltage gap and close it afterwards. Normally if you don´t do that the train itself would do it automatically as soon as it´s detected, but you at least would need to close it afterwards. In some cases you are even requested to lower the pantos. The minimum requirement would be to cut traction to pass an insulator or a junction from one electrified track to another.

Sparks with sound could be an option to add. Also randomly caused by the pantograph dynamics on the wires themselves, they could be added in case of powerless sections mishbehaving. And definitely while in those sections you would not have traction at all for some seconds.

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

You can still simulate it. I do put the throttle in neutral and open the MCB in the dead sections.

3. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Yeap, this is what I do. But we miss the trackside signals or the substation buildings to locate them, and the physical loose of traction as well. In LIRR we have traction gaps in the switches areas that you can clearly notice.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  4. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Yes.