PlayStation Ps4 Discounts (march 2020)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Factor41, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Looks like the PSN sale has hit TSW with a few discounts. Doesn't look like PSN Plus get any extra savings this time...
    Screenshot 2020-03-19 at 14.42.17.png
    The Class 33 is £5.74 (Save 50%). Not sure why that's the only one claiming to be unavailable when not logged in. Predictably, no discount on the Baby Bullet yet. Not sure 25% is enough to sway me to ECW yet.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

I am personally unlikely to be buying anything in this PS4 sale.... as I am probably switching over to TS2020 on PC, and maybe TSW on PC (which I haven't properly evaluated yet).... But for those on PS4, I would strongly suggest avoiding all of the German DLC, at any price, until someone can be bothered to make the DB BR 155 work on RSN on PS4.

I can heartily recommend TVL plus the Class 31 at the discounted price, even on PS4. What surprises me though... is that DTG still have not managed to convince their supplier, Sony, to link up the Baby Bullet to the PlayStation Store page for TSW:

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/grid/EP2866-CUSA10019_00-TRAINSIMWORLD20S/1

I am starting to suspect that the problem is that the Baby Bullet is a fully functioning*** DLC, so they don't want to sell it, and then raise expectations for people thinking about buying the broken DB BR 155.

------
    ***NB: Of course - I am only talking about "fully functioning" in very loose terms here. I recently completed the Bay Area Breakdown scenario (after yesterday's patch) and I note that the last required action in the cabcar is wrong - you can't end the scenario by putting the brake into Full Service (as it asks) - you must put the brake into "Handle Off". If only someone could have been bothered to test the scenario, then they would have found this very obvious problem.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Factor41

I might finally add this to the collection since i'm going to be spending more time at home, even though NTP is probably my least played DLC so far (after the 155, obviously).

Is the Heavy Freight pack worth adding to NTP? Does that give you any extras on TVL if you have both?

• Like Like x 1
  4. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Yes, well worth it. Adds much more variety.
    No, not that I know of.

I hadn't yet spotted these Factor41, thanks. I might have a little spend on TVL an the 31 myself. As you say more time indoors. :|

Ooh I see the 155 is on offer too. I've seen that recommended quite a lot recently. :love:

• Like Like x 3
  5. synthetic.angel

If NTP wasn't really your thing, then TVL might not be either... And I am kind of biased, because I do particularly like 37s, 31s and 08s..., and in TSW, the 101 has become something I really like (just because of TSW). But TVL does have something more to offer than NTP, including:

- probably the best simulation that I have seen in TSW (noting that I haven't tried CSX:HH on PC yet)
    - a decent variety of steel wagons with loads, with gradients, and interesting scenery
    - Class 31 hauling a dead 101 DMU set, and some very nicely modelled cement wagons

If you are mostly into passenger stuff, but dislike the 101, then you should avoid TVL. And you should then certainly avoid the freight pack for NTP. If you want to get NTP+, then get TVL before you get the NTP Heavy Freight pack (which would then give you the Class 40, TEA wagons and some dubious short vans, for the first time, on NTP). The rolling stock on NTP and TVL are not transferable, like with the German routes, so you would be buying the 101 twice, and the 08 twice, if you buy both packs.

Whatever you do, don't buy the Heavy Freight pack so that you can run the Class 47 with the TEA tankers.... unless you are sado-masochist like me... this is something that I might like to do.... but the vast majority of people that try this really get annoyed by it...., and they all swear that the Class 47 must be broken, whereas I believe that the Class 45, by contrast, is the one that is a bit too punchy with the TEAs - these are really very very heavy bogied tankers for a single 1950s diesel loco to handle....... ;-)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. synthetic.angel

When the DB BR 155 works... it is the best thing on TSW, in my opinion. Maybe even better than the Class 37, when I take my Class 37 Railfreight-tinted sunglasses off....

If you like the 101, and/or you want something a bit different... than an East German tap-changer loco is quite good fun. And it has a stunning soundscape - except in tunnels, on RSN, on PS4. (That's why I want the 155 fixed - because secretly... I think it is potentially quite superb....).

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

I might agree with you if the Class 40 wasn't quite so handy with them too.

Actually now you've gone over to the dark side you could perhaps try a direct comparison with the PC and PS4 versions of the class 47 noting the power and amp difference. Might prove interesting. I've watched videos and the PC seems to use less throttle but produce more amps.

• Like Like x 3
  8. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I’ve decided to pick up TVL and the Class 31, not played much but already enjoying it more than NTP.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Factor41

Tempted to go TVL for 12 quid.

What's everyone's opinions of ECW? Is it like a fresher version of the 166 on GWE (which I quite like, but would enjoy more if they turned the sound up)? Is it worth £18 do we think?

10. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I like the East Coastway but then I’m a fan of most third rail locos. There is a good variety of services given we’ve got 4 end points in Brighton, Lewis, Eastbourne and Seaford. Freight is (in my opinion) a waste of time. The Special Service is a nice touch, especially if you’ve got NTP as the locos transfer over (not Class 101).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. synthetic.angel

Aaaah - this is a good idea....! And it gives me a good excuse to actually do some running on TSW on PC (as I haven't done any yet, at all). I have pretty much already worked out that TS2020 on PC is far superior to TSW on PS4, including in terms of graphics...., and perhaps surprisingly... especially in terms of graphics... (but I might have very strangely unusual preferences on this......). In terms of immersion, TS2020 beats TSW (on PS4) as currently deployed, hands down.... and that's despite the slightly clunky controller interface, which I'll nail down (hopefully) with a very particular Logitech keyboard - or preferably, if I can work out how to map the XBox controller "B" button to the RMB.... Nearly there.... If Mr P can get a toy guitar to work... then there is hope that DTG's specified controller will eventually work how I want it to.....

But I don't yet know how TS2020, and TSW on PS4, each compare to TSW on PC... and that will be interesting to see. I will report back on the Class 47....with a truly independent view.... ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  12. synthetic.angel

For reference - this is what I got for £17.96, in the 750V 3rd rail Southern rail genre, on TS2020:

- South London Network (£6.24), including eleven end to end routes on the network.
    - London to Brighton (£5.24)
    - Chatham Mainline London - Gillingham (two routes) (£5.24)
    - LNER Black A3 Steam Loco (£1.24)

The three routes (maybe about 200 miles in total) came with the 456 & 375, 377 (and AI 450), and the 465 and three more versions of the 375.

Interesting, don't you think......?

13. Factor41

It is indeed, but I have a Mac and a PS4 so my choices are somewhat limited (and I'm not putting dirty Windows on my work Mac). They've got me right where they want me!

Edit to add: I very nearly threw caution to the wind and bought ECW, but I watched a video on YouTube of some guy playing it and that view out is really small. Feels even more boxed in than the M7 on LIRR. Any chance of them adding a train which doesn't have the door-through front, or is the crusty old 313 the only other thing that runs on that route? Anyway, as a result, I've bought nothing yet...

14. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It most definitely is broken, and it does annoy us, it’s just we don’t mention it in every other post we write on every single thread we comment on.

15. synthetic.angel

Well.... the results are very interesting....

Firstly to the Class 47..... I ran this on TSW on NTP on the PC with a licensed XBox controller. And although it did not have the power problem (and could easily achieve linespeed), it was almost completely undriveable at slower speeds - like truly disgustingly horrible to drive. I think that there are two issues with the Class 47:

1. On PS4 and on XBox, there is a power problem (as admitted by the designer himself)
    2. And there is a problem with the L1/L2 buttons on the console controllers, and it is far far worse on XBox

I can personally live with the Class 47 on NTP and WSR, on PS4 with a DS4 (but only just - it's sort of like having a Class 20....), but with the XBox controller it is utterly horrific. There is clearly a problem with the way the L1 has been mapped, with respect to latency, and with L2 with respect to deadzone - and both of these issues are far worse on the XBox controller than with the DS4. And that is on top of the power problem on console.

Now to TSW on PC..... This really surprised me... I ran TSW on a PC with a £400 8Gb DDR6 GPU, with an eight-core CPU.... wholly installed on a SSD, as the second application after the OS. And the results are that the UI is fast. I think that on a PC all of the UI components (including the map and menus) are always held in memory, and that switching is super fast. But other than that, the PS4 whips the heck out of a fairly decently specified brand new PC when running TSW.... And I think this is because of memory management, and nothing to do with raw power. More power would achieve nothing, in my opinion.

The graphics are basically identical (although with the PC you can mouse-zoom), but the performance on the PC was terrible compared to a three year old PS4 Pro. I think that you can set the graphics on the PC to a setting much lower than you would get on PS4, which is good if you don't have a PS4. On the PC, every single UE map tile boundary caused a screen freeze... - a very rare occurence on PS4. And many significant bits of lineside content stuttered terribly, or popped in very very late. The general pop-in on NTP was horrible... the worst that I have ever seen - including trees - worse than the (very few) worst bits of RSN on PS4. Just comparing performance on NTP.... the PS4 Pro was way ahead of the brand new PC.

So - if you have TSW on PS4 Pro - count yourself lucky, because TSW is really terrible on PC. Maybe it might work okay on PC if you spend £4000 on your PC... but I doubt it... and anyway... seriously.... my GPU cost more than my PS4...

Good news for me - I will not buy any TSW DLC on PC - none at all. I have a good collection on PS4 which will last until the PS4 is retired. And then I am switching permanently to TS2020, where you can actually read the lineside signs, you get actual light sources, and you get buildings in areas that are built-up IRL, and you actually get a decent amount of railways traffic...almost all of the time... which maintains a decent LoD and a realistic sound at distance - you can actually hear trains on distant lines/spurs..... and they all form part of the immersion... in TS2020. But not in TSW, even on PS4.

Unless I can transfer PS4 content to PS5, I think the PS4 will only be dragged out for TSW for a few runs on TVL... This was my first run on TSW on PC, and will be my last for GWE/LIRR/NTP - but I will have a look at CSX:HH, even though I suspect that my recent US DLC on TS2020 will be much much better....

To add insult to injury, I managed to get a whole bunch of Steam achievements from one run on NTP from Manchester to Leeds, including achievements for travelling 100, 470, 1000 and 10,000 miles, and exceeding 75 mph - none of which I actually did in that one run... LOL....! Oh dear.... It's so Facebooked.....!

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. synthetic.angel

I quite like the claustrophia.... I absolutely loved this view from the NEC Amtrak cabcar...

Cab Car Comfort Zone.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  17. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

Saw the sales on my PS4. There are only two pieces of DLC that I don't already own,: the BR52 loco and the BR33 loco. I'm temped, but I'd like to know first: are these two only usable on WSR? Or can you also use them on TVL or NTP ?

• Like Like x 1
  18. synthetic.angel

Summarising my TSW and Class 47 testing post above... I would say that if you fancy content*** for TSW (in the PS4 sale).... then you should go for it - and forget about TSW on PC - don't let TSW get anywhere near your Mac.... (seriously). TSW on PC is properly wrecked, compared to on PS4 Pro. I am not sure if PC users of TSW realise just how bad it is - but I now understand why they have a "higher res" option for screenshots....

I don't think that TSW on PS4 will ever perform as well as TS2020 on PC. TSW does have better res textures than TS2020's older routes (where they are over seven years old...), and obviously TSW has some UE environment features that can look quite stunning... but you pay for that through massive reduction in everything else that matters - mostly the content itself. TSW on PS4 is like going to a banquet at a fine restaurant, where the crockery and cutlery are fabulous, but the cook isn't really qualified as a cook, but is good at mixing paints. With TSW on PC, it's the restaurant again, with the hapless cook... but the plates are cracked and the cutlery is bent. But TS2020 is like having a Christmas/Thanksgiving dinner at home, with fabulous home-cooking, with food you'll enjoy, and crockery you can use again and again.

If you like LIRR, and TS2020 on PC is a non-runner for you, then you might like East Coastway on PS4. That DLC is not now for me.... personally, because I am covered by the extensive amount of stuff on TS2020 - but if I didn't have TS2020, then I'd probably get ECR eventually.

-----------------------------------
    ***Except, of course, all German DLC - which should be avoided like the plague, until the DB BR 155 is fixed.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. synthetic.angel

The 33 and 52 are locked down to WSR - although there is a single service on ECR where they can be "substituted" for the 66. They do not work on NTP or TVL or GWE.

However - there is a rumour that GWE will be "upgraded" to allow for more locos..., and I'd expect the 52 and 33 to be good candidates to run out of Paddington. But DTG might not ever do this... the 52 itself looks (to me) like it would need a heavy amount of rework.

• Like Like x 1
  20. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

OK, I'll pass then. WSR is the one route in this game I don't like. Chugging along at 25 mph gets sooo boring :)

• Like Like x 1
  21. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

I know what you mean and it's such a good-looking route too.

It would be nice if Dovetail could look at doing a 1980s west country route - Exeter, Bristol etc and putting 33 and 52 on there, the 33 especially is absolutely gorgeous.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

Great idea, but it might have to be a 1970s route, the 52s were withdrawn by 1977. It could still run as preserved example of course, on a railtour.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Factor41

Just updated image in the original post to include the Caltrain switcher which is now live on the store, and the bundles so all pricing is there.

Obviously no discount on the switcher. Baby Bullet still not properly associated with the game.

24. synthetic.angel

I wanted to do some more PS4 vs PC comparisons on TSW to check on graphics issues, so I ran the 47 again on NTP... and I can now confirm that:

- if you run TSW on PC without the XBox controller, and just use the keyboard***, then you do not get the L1/L2 latency/deadzone controller issue which causes drag on the Brake Pipe, which makes the Class 47 perfectly driveable at slow speeds..... and since it is on PC, it is unaffected by the power loss at higher speeds, and drives, I suspect, as designed
    - I also did a direct comparison of the power loss, and in the 40mph to 50mph speed range, the 47 on PS4 provides between 800 and 1200 less Amps compared to running on PC, seriously impacting on the tractive effort. On NTP, this curtails your top speed on PS4 by 15 to 20 mph (assuming you try to run at linespeed) on your way out of Stalybridge bound for Leeds.

Both of these issues still need to be fixed on console. I can personally work-around the brake issue on PS4, but it isn't straightforward... or known about. I can't do my work-around on the XBox controller - it's way too fuzzy. The Class 47, with XBox controller, is completely mental to drive with passenger coaching stock - so I can't imagine what it's like with the TEA tankers... (and I won't be finding out, because I will not be buying that DLC twice...).

Anyway - I hope that fully answers your question..... And I think I will be leaving this subject well alone from now on... unless the DB BR 155 gets fixed, of course..... ;-D

------------
    ***NB: I suspect that this was the testing condition

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. synthetic.angel

I thought maybe, in these dark times, a picture of a beautiful pair of lads (or ladies, if you prefer...), would lift the spirits and bring loving warmth to people's souls.... although not as much warmth as the blast furnaces in the steelworks on TVL (currently on sale), cos that might be dangerous....:

37s RF Metals Double Vision.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  26. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Purchased yesterday evening along with the on sale class 31. It looks good, although I've not had a chance to properly try it yet.

27. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I was going to buy HRR when it comes out but as the sale popped up I bought RRO instead, not driven anything yet though. I’d been waiting for a sale to buy the 33 for WSR, and I’ve had a drive of that and already love it. To cap this purchasing frenzy I got the switcher for PC for the full price and along with the recently purchased Baby Bullet, that route is probably going to remain the one I drive on the most for a while.

I watched the RSN live stream to see if I wanted that and was not tempted even though it’s less than a tenner. So for now, HRR, Oakville, the class 52 and anything else can wait for future sales. I’m not made of money. Until a new British route comes out and then I’ll pounce on that on release day.

TSW has pretty much taken over my life now.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Factor41

I suspect the two are fairly similar so makes sense to buy the cheaper option! I'm tempted to pick up the MP15 because I'm also enjoying PC at the moment. Still undecided about TVL too - I might have a blast on NTP later and see how I feel about it. Wouldn't want to encourage DTG to give us more old BR content when I'm really waiting for more modern stuff. :)

RSN is nice enough, but I don't think it adds much if you've already got MSB (which feels fresher and better made).

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

TVL is different to NTP in many ways. If you also get the Class 31 you can do full length passenger runs without having to drive the 101 but even the 101 is easier to drive on TVL because the gradients in NTP make a tricky train much trickier. Plus the 31 increases the freight enough to make it interesting without doing any passenger runs.

If you do get TVL you must also get the 31. And my advice is to do it. The variety of scenery is good, there are loads of speed limit changes to keep each run interesting. In my opinion it’s one of the best routes. The live streams of TVL and the 31 give a true representation of all you can do in it, if you have the time to watch them.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Factor41

Okay, screw it, you've convinced me! If I'm going to have plenty of time on my hands, twenty quid seems like a decent price for these two. Downloading now...

• Like Like x 3
  31. Factor41

Just done the first Scenario with the Class 31/1. I don't think I'd appreciated just how crusty it is! It looks quite nice in the pics with a bit of distressing, but it's basically made entirely out of rust inside and out. The rattles, squeaks and clanks in the cab make it feel quite fragile, like driving a huge milk float. It seems to work well though, so it's sort of charming!

• Like Like x 2
  32. synthetic.angel

It's hard to not be enthusiastic about the Class 31 - not when you've seen the original marketing material:

DTG have a lot to learn about marketing, methinks. ;-P

Oh - and check out the commentary at minute 7:00....... LOL.... ;-)

The corona virus won't get me if I die from laughing first......

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  33. Factor41

Quality video. Nice seeing what they looked nice new too - half an hour in the game cab's grubby driver's seat and I felt like I needed a shower!

34. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

With this current virus outbreak it sounds like just the locomotive to drive then. After a short while operating the controls It makes you want to wash your hands!

• Like Like x 1
  35. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

Isn't it incredible that Britain could design and manufacture her own locos.

• Like Like x 3
  36. Jamira87

Jamira87 New Member

Between MSB and RRO wath is the best DLC?
    I already have RSN DLC and Br 155 ( no sound on the tunels) and 182 locos!
    Thanks

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  37. Factor41

They're both nice, well made routes, but quite different, so it depends what you like:

MSB is the more rural of the two, with more gradients, and is longer. It has more freight operations, including tough uphill sections with banking operations. There are also passenger services with widely spaced stops. This is probably closest to RSN in terrain, but with more modern trains.

RRO is much more compact, more urban and is more passenger focused with S8 services which stop every couple of minutes along the shorter route (service time isn't much different because of the frequency of stops). Freight is available, but the route is shorter, so it's a quicker, simpler process. The other locos sub in to provide RE services with less stops.

If you already have RSN and want more variety, maybe try RRO?

• Like Like x 1
  38. Jamira87

Jamira87 New Member

Yes,maybe ill try RRO ! Because MSB is very similiar to RSN !!! Now im doing freight operations in RSN journey,its very intresting !

• Like Like x 1
  39. synthetic.angel

No no no.... MSB and RSN are not comparable... in terms of quality. RSN is the WSR of German routes - it's their first attempt in TSW - and quite flawed in terms of performance. If you are given a choice between RSN and MSB - then I would recommend MSB - the route builders started to understand the optimisation required with MSB - and so they were able to put things like other trains into the scenarios.

But... I can't give you a full answer, because I don't have RRO. And... I am now very not keen to buy any German routes or locos at all on console, even on sale, because some of the developers have already said that they actively hate PS4 - and can't bear using the console - so the chances that a German route or German loco will be tested on console and actually work properly are close to zero. The German stuff on PC, however, might work well, in both TSW and TS2020, because PC users are actually supported.

• Like Like x 1
  40. Jamira87

Jamira87 New Member

I like the german stuff because of the trains! The trains are similar tonthe trains gere um Portugal!!! I dont know wath to buy

41. Factor41

Does it help that MSB is half the price of RRO? If you like the German trains, why not get both - you'll get plenty of play out of the pair and have tons of trains to use between them! :)

• Like Like x 1
  42. Jamira87

Jamira87 New Member

Yes, MSB is cheaper:cool::cool::cool:
    Thats a good point! I Remenber to buy LIRR and NTP for 10€ each more or less,that was a good deal, two DLC for the price of One ! I already bought two locos and i dont want to.spend to much money:|

43. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

Tees Valley for £12.49?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  44. Jamira87

Jamira87 New Member

Thats a good choice too! The clássic British trains are great fun

45. Factor41

I just bought that, along with the 31. Early opinion (a few services in) is that it's a nicer, better built NTP. The 101 is nicer to drive than the NTP version and the 37 is better than the 45. The 31 is a good add-on if you like your trains really rusty!

• Like Like x 2
  46. Jamira87

Jamira87 New Member

Yes 101 is the most dificult train but once you handle it right its great fun except for the braking

47. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

I'm all for more weathering, especially if they are pulling tankers.

• Like Like x 1