PlayStation Ps4 Horn Sounds

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Stephen Crofts, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

I know horns aren't the be all and end all, but has anyone noticed on ps4 they often sound like the tone repeats over a very short duration with a jittery click embedded at the end? It differs depending on loco, some are better than others.

I just picked up on this after watching a railfan tv stream for tsw2 running on PC where one of the locos I have sounded much better on the stream and without any annoying repeat for a reasonable length of time.
    Is this a limitation embedded into console versions? or a problem with my own installation?

I originally assumed it was such a low priority the recordings were like that almost as an afterthought.

• Like Like x 4
  2. NW 1218

NW 1218 Member

It seems like if the frame rates are high, the horn loop is smoother, although I'd assert that the horn loops used aren't very smooth in the first place and can be heard no matter what. When the frames slow down, the loop seams the get worse. From my days with Microsoft Train Simulator, creating sounds, I found that you have to use "static blown" recordings for the absolute best quality recording, meaning the source shouldn't be moving. In the case of say, the Peninsula Corridor, the sounds were definitely recorded from the actual equipment. It may have just not been stationary when they were taken.

3. Stephen Crofts

If it's connected to frame rate, that would explain a lot. I wonder if that might have a connection with some of the missing sounds issues that have been cropping up as well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bob12212

Bob12212 Well-Known Member

Same on xbox. Varies with loco. 377 horn sounds really good. The 40 sounds shocking and loops and stutters all over the place

5. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Thanks for the feedback on this, we are looking into it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

On stream you probably heard a loco that had more attention with the horn sound. There are genuinely good ones then there are synthesised sounds. This is the same for all platforms.
    ECW 66 synthetic, 377 genuine
    TVL 101,37 synthetic borderline ok.
    31,08,20 pretty good
    RSN 143, 185.2, 155 synthetic
    HRR 422, 425 synthetic borderline ok
    NTP 47,40 synthetic borderline ok
    45,08 pretty good
    WSR 47 ok 09,52 (shocking) synthetic
    33 pretty good
    GWE 43HST ,66,166 synthetic
    MSB 146,185,182 synthetic
    North American routes horn pretty good in general
    TSW 2
    Koln Aachen 406,442 synthetic borderline ok. Cuts out at times on the 406
    Bakerloo. Dont know. Sounds ok to me for Underground.
    Sandpatch grade. Sounds synthetic in the way the horn fades out.
    This aspect always made me wonder with so much effort into engine running revving stopping sounds, was so little attention given to many if the horns.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  7. Stephen Crofts

Just to add to this topic one more observation. For some locos the clipping of the horn sound seems variable. I've one route where a loco clips a lot, and the tees Vally class 101 which clipped a lot the other day, today was very smooth. Does seem to be related to what else the game might be doing in the background.

8. diamondderp

diamondderp Guest

Realized the bad looping is not only on the horn, just take a look on the SIFA beep or Zwangsbremsung beep.

9. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

I have found that sometimes the horn seems to get stuck and it stays in once place even though the train has moved on... then it just pops up in random places along the line as I drive through rendering it useless.

10. bschumacher#2597

bschumacher#2597 New Member

I've experienced the same thing as well