Public Beta Build 76.5a

Discussion in 'Public Beta' started by TrainSim-Steve, Feb 22, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hello everyone, we'll shortly be pushing out the next Public Beta build for your attention. Please post your feedback relating only to the build version 76.5a here. If you wish to discuss things not relating to this beta, please use the other forums.

What's Included/Changed

We've spent a bit of time looking at some of the crashes that had been identified in the last build. We felt these were fairly important to get into your hands as soon as possible given the nature of some of the crashes. The specifics of our latest work are:

• Reverted Dispatcher change that was intended to make node deletion on pathing failure more robust, but instead could make it more unstable.
    • Fixed an STL assert failure in Debug build (this could also cause a crash in release builds) - tunnel iterators were being used after deletion when rendering 2D map.
    • Removed assert in Landscape texture that causes a crash/break in Debug builds.
    • Fix for crash in loading of Lingbao to Mianchi Scenario 3 (and other scenarios that include reversing sections). Caused by fix to prevent decrementing a stack pointer when at the beginning of the stack. Previous fix was to change loop check, new fix is a special flag to prevent and recover.
    • Added command line option "-DisableSilverLining" to fully disable Silver Lining to aid debugging the graphics device lost crashes on alt-tab and screen sleep.
    • Updated to Silver Lining 6.42 to fix D3D device lost error on screen sleep (and potentially others)

With this update, we believe we have resolved the D3D Device Lost error which is caused when alt-tabbing when in full screen. Thanks to wellington's note pointing us at SilverLining as the cause of the crash, we were able to find the specific part in their code and implement a fix. We're hopeful this should be the last remaining element of this crash and it should finally be consigned to history! :)

EDIT: Slight correction to the above, seems I jumped the gun a bit as I'm told that this build does not resolve all instances of the D3D crash. There are some further fixes that we've yet to test internally but will find their way out in due course, likely as soon as we've been able to test them. The new SilverLining library fixed one instance of the D3D error, notably when the game receives a "lost device" message followed by a "reset device". However, there are situations where the "lost device" doesn't trigger, and instead we just get a "reset device". So, this will not be the end of the D3D crash entirely as there are still some fixes we need to test but, we are on it.

We're hopeful you will find this altogether more stable but please let us know your findings.

Best, Steve

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    • Like Like x 14
    • Helpful Helpful x 5
  2. WoodlandTracks

WoodlandTracks Active Member

I understood one specific :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. cscarpenter

cscarpenter Well-Known Member

And which specific are you elaborating on?
    [Removed - DTG Alex: Insensitive]

4. WoodlandTracks

I will be glad to elaborate after you got rid of that toothache.

5. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

About all I got out of it was how to disable Silverlining.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. WoodlandTracks

Same here. I am sure it is all important and am happy it is fixed, but is all above my head

• Like Like x 2
  7. jonathanp89

jonathanp89 Member

In case anyone cares, time to put my Computer Science degree to good use ;) ...
    • STL: Standard Template Library, a standardised set of program routines used to organise stored data in memory
    • Debug build: developers can create a special version of an executable which contains extra information to enable cross referencing of the instructions in the program and the commands in the source code. The standard version is also knows as a "Release Build".
    • Assert: a developer can include a command the in the program which checks if it is an assertion about the expected state of the program is true(e.g. is speed > 100m/s?), and if so, immediately ends the program so the developer can investigate. This is usually only active in a Debug build, in a Release build it has no effect
    • Stack pointer: data is commonly stored within software in a manner similar to a stack of books, such that the program just keeps track of the item at the top of the stack and rest of the information is only accessible indirectly. The stack pointer specifies where the current top item on the stack is stored in memory, and decrementing the stack pointer is equivalent to removing an item from the top of the stack. In this case it sounds like the program was trying to remove items from a stack which was already empty.
    • Node: data is also commonly stored in a tree structure, similar to a family tree. Each item in the tree is called a Node.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Great explanation, jonathanp89 :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. WoodlandTracks

The OutOfMemory error, when using the windows-key to leave TSC and later returning, has not been solved yet, is that correct ? Is not a big issue for me but just wanted to confirm because it just happened to me.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
  10. heliq

heliq Active Member

Peninsula corridor, 4 scenario. Dispatcher crash. Why not fixed?

11. holt.alistair

holt.alistair Member

Hi Steve,
    Will everything you mentioned in your post on February 22nd be fixed in the next core update with no D3D and OOM. Thanks Fred

12. wellington

wellington Guest

If the -DisableSilverLining command line option was in Public Beta Build 75.6a, you would notice that it would partially solve the problem, because in this version I remove the plugin and the simulator works perfectly switching between tabs with (Alt+Tab) or (WinKey ) in Full Screen without D3D error, but the dynamic clouds are lost, unfortunately the error occurs at some point in action with SilverLining, I think they will resolve it now.

13. buzz4567

buzz4567 Active Member

Just a comment. It appears as if anytime the game is open if you make the slightest change to anything it immediately errors to desktop like it's reading the whole file each and every second.

14. Spikee1975

Spikee1975 Well-Known Member

Can you be more precise? That's pretty vague. What file?

15. buzz4567

buzz4567 Active Member

Any Geo file. Usually you don't even need to change it, just open it to examine its content. Opening them with TSTools. There is that concise enough for you?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Spikee1975

Spikee1975 Well-Known Member

More for Steve, as an issue can only be addressed when there's exact steps to reproduce given.

17. WoodlandTracks

Of course it can also be addressed when that is not given, but often it makes it easier.

• Like Like x 1
  18. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

dose anyone else see that the sliverlining 3d clouds are not working in quick drive on this beta patch? i have the dynamic clouds on in the settings but when in quick drive it turn off and it run the tsc old default 2d clouds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.