Pzb - A Help With Getting To Know It

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by tbaac, Sep 10, 2021.

Tags:
  1. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

Hi. It seems like a useful 'tutorial' for PZB might be that if PZB slams the brakes on, TSW was to explain why. I suggest that a 2D image of the same signal type as you passed, showing the same aspect as when you passed the signal could be shown in the top left (or wherever works) whilst the train was slowing down. Next to it, a description of that signal aspect is shown along with a short explanation of what you did wrong.

For example, "Expect Stop shown, not acknowledged." or "Expect Stop shown, Acknowledged but Braking Curve Exceeded" or similar.

I think a common question for beginners when driving with PZB is "Why did that happen?" and this functionality seems like it would help to answer that and might also encourage people to have a go.

This functionality could be on by default (if PZB had been switched on by the user, obviously) but maybe switchable in the options.

Thanks.

2. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I honestly think that the biggest problem with learning PZB is that most of the tutorials just focus on "what you need to do", I understood PZB more easily by understanding how it actually works and what it's trying to achieve, it's a bit more difficult because you have to actually understand how it actually is set up and works but once you figure it out I found out I only get caught off guard if I am not paying attention to the signals or to the track side signs.

To actually have success with it, just a "if you see this = acknowdlege" is not enough.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  3. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. I agree with what you say, but was thinking of it more as an answer to "What did I miss?".
    I've heard Matt P say that the first step in understanding it is to understand the signals, and I can see his point. Then as you say you need to understand about the placement of the magnets, about how you should react to various non-clear signals and about the rules for different PZB modes, and about restricted monitoring etc.
    I really enjoy Matt's tutorials on PZB and am looking forward to the one tonight.
    But having said that, PZB still trips me up and sometimes I'm left guessing what I did wrong.
    Thanks.

4. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Yes, knowing the signalling system is of course very important, because PZB is built upon the signalling, and the magnet placement is based on the signalling.

I am still not too familiar with the Hl signalling present on some parts of BRD, but for every other german routed it goes as follows:

There are two types of signals:
    • Main signals which actually tell you whether you can proceed or have to stop (they can only show: speed restriction starts from here (green/yellow aspect), stop (red), proceed (green). Near those signals 500hz and 2000hz magnets are present
    • Distant signals, relay the information of the upcoming main signal (yellow/yellow - next main is red; green/yellow speed restriction from the next main signal; green/green, next signal is clear). Usually it's at those signals where you have to acknowledge the 1000Hz magnets.
    Read the signalling part on the RSN Manual to learn more, I believe it's one of the most detailed.

20210910_144106.jpg
    For PZB This table will be useful for your first trips, taken from the MSB Manual

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  5. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

For example, following Matt's Hl and PZB tutorial on Friday evening, on Saturday I tried driving the RB31 Coswig - Großenhain in the Talent 2 14:30 service with PZB and SIFA on.
    It went much better than I'd expected, however towards the end of the journey I had passed a flashing yellow above yellow with yellow bar (So, 60 km/h now and expect 40 or 60 km/h at the next signal).
    I acknowledged, slowed to 85 and continued to slow at a reasonable rate I think. I was doing about 62 km/h when the emergency brakes came on I think.
    The Talent 2 showed "WT nicht zeitgerecht betatigt" on the display, which I think says that I didn't acknowledge in a timely manner. I'm not sure if I missed a signal/speed post or if I just didn't slow down quickly enough.
    Thanks.