PC Pzb On Hamburg - Lübeck

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by kosti.nuuja, May 16, 2021.

1. kosti.nuuja

kosti.nuuja Well-Known Member

When I passed a 90km/h speed limit warning sign on Hamburg - Lübeck route, the PZB magnet gave me 1000 hz signal, and only TEN seconds time to slow down to 85 km/h. That's almost impossible, because it's on 160 km/h section.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

There are quite a few issues with PZB on HBL at the moment . It should be fixed soon hopefully .

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I know that PZB is quite broken on Hamburg - Lübeck, but this sounds like user error to me. First, check out the red link in my signature to know how acknowledging a 90 km/h speed restriction actually works. Second, PZB never gives you 20 seconds time. What it actually does is: It compares your speed to a braking curve. As soon as you‘re over the braking curve, an emergency brake application follows. This means that - in theory - PZB can issue an emergency brake application even just 2 seconds after you acknowledged something if you‘re not braking hard enough.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. raptor

raptor Member

ther are bugs with pzb yes, but this behavior seems right. You have to break way early with the train and not after passing the 90 speedrestriction. (reference to complain it to real life in lagg of real world driving a train: Zusi 3)

• Like Like x 2
  5. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

I read that a while ago, but having re-read it just now it makes a lot more sense to me.

I've been aiming to get hit that 90kmh warning board at 100kmh, which is handily within the check speed and so gave me no issues.

This is completely different to GB practice, where the speed warning boards are placed so you don't actually need to start braking until you hit the board (though many drivers will be at least easing up before getting there). These differences are what makes learning other railway systems fun, and the German ones are my favourite!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Lamplight

Oh, I absolutely agree. As a German, PZB is what I‘m used to. It was very interesting to learn AWS for me. I particularly enjoy the differences in philosophy between AWS and PZB (helping vs monitoring the driver). TSW encourages you to understand how different rail systems around the world work which is quite fascinating. :D

7. Bertil Persson

Bertil Persson Active Member

Yes, I made that mistake too. I should have slowed down but usually you don’t get a 1000 hz warning for 90 mph. There’s another one nearer to Lübeck without a magnet warning, so there is a bit update work. I guess things will happen on that.

• Like Like x 1
  8. raretrack

AWS on its own is quite primitive, but with TPWS and TPWS+ now overlaid on top at many locations, it provides a PZB-esque level of braking curve assessments and automatic intervention as necessary. (I've never had a TPWS brake demand in TSW2 - not sure if it's even modelled - but I've been in a cab in real life where it happened!)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lamplight

I‘ve heard these terms before, but I don‘t think I‘ve encountered these systems in TSW. Is there any route/loco in TSW featuring this system? Terribly sorry for my ignorance, but I‘m still quite new to British railroading :)

10. raretrack

They are built into most if not all recent trains. The manuals (where they exist!) say that when you enable AWS you are also enabling TPWS. But I'm afraid I've no idea how it's then modelled on the trains, if at all. Someone will know, though!

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  11. Lamplight

No worries! I‘ll try to do my own research based in this. Thanks a bunch! :D

• Like Like x 1