Question About Coupling, Especially While Switching

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by LastTrainToClarksville, Nov 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

This doesn't seem to fit well in any of the forums' subdivisions, so Ive decided to just toss it in here: I've been enjoying the switching sessions with the Amtrak SW1000R, but they've led me to this question: how does the engineer manage to see what is going on behind the engine? For example, all of these sessions involve coupling passenger coaches to the front or rear of the switcher. In either case, the engineer cannot see the couplers. Of course, the player can switch to views 2 or 3 to watch the action, but who handles this in the real world? I'd also appreciate suggestions for simulating coupling and uncoupling in TSW.

Thanks!

2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Living near a rail yard myself I have at least three to four people on the ground. One of them would be the engineers conductor, then there would be another for setting switches not sure on who the others would be. Or even what their roles play in the everyday switching out of trains.

I would definitely would like to scenarios in which you can build trains and break down in coming trains so that those cars can be delivered to their industries.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Yes. Additional pairs of eyes is the solution. Or remote controlled shunters so the operator can place themselves where they can see what they are doing.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

I visit a railyard frequently, and there are almost always 4 people on the switch crew, one to control the train remotely, one to uncouple/couple the cars, and two to throw switches. The one doing the uncoupling also wears a remote control for the locomotive as a backup.

• Helpful Helpful x 2