Question For Dovetail

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by trainsimgaming1001, Oct 12, 2021.

1. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

I have a Question. On every livery designer competion, why can't we use the DB BR 403 or 406? The 406 is included in the Base Game, so why not use it?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Because it's DB's train, ie their IP because it's part of the ICE brand, and I think the license specifically excludes the ICEs from being used in these sort of things. It's why in the livery editor you're painting the BR403/BR406, not the ICE3/ICE3M.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

DB, among other operators, get very particular with how their brands are displayed in-game. It's a bit like Ferrari with racing games, but pretty much every train operator is as obnoxious as them. As Cameron said, DB take issue with the ICE brand being potentially tarnished. Another good example is TFL, who are also quite annoying when it comes to licensing, which is why the Tube stock is squeaky clean and you can't use the end doors on the trains (I remember in London Underground Simulator, a simulator TSW takes a lot from, walking onto the tracks would reset you onto the train or platform, so it's not a new thing). BNSF also don't like people outside the USA knowing they exist.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

Who? Never heard of them. (I have really) :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Didn't I see Rivet new tube stock having the front doors opening on a stream or did I just imagine it?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

Hmm, that’s true. could they do that with the idea the stock isn’t current?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. JZJ90

JZJ90 Active Member

I'm pretty sure I remember Matt saying on stream way back when tsw2 came out that the decision to lock the front door was made by DTG because they didn't want you to be able to bypass the invisible wall on the tunnels and then go running up and down them, because there was nothing to see and no way to avoid trains if they came at you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Clumsy Pacer

Yeah this was my understanding too.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

That doesn't make sense because the only way you can walk/run in the tunnel is to get out of the train you are driving whilst in the tunnel (because of the invisible wall at the end of the platform). The only train that could come at you is the one you have parked and as you are the driver, that can’t happen.

You can also get out of the side doors in the open section and run up and down the track to your heart’s content risking trains coming at you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. Clumsy Pacer

Yeah but you could theoretically get on as a passenger and get out at the back and get hit by a train behind.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Trains don't just have front doors...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

The answers from the community are indeed correct on this one, it's to do with licencing. We aren't allowed to include the 403 or 406 in case anyone created a livery that was inappropriate.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1