Question Regarding Scenario Creation - Cloning Scenarios From Shorter Route To Route Extenstion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NEC_Male_TC, Feb 13, 2018.

1. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

Hello everyone in the Train Simulator 2018 community. I have a question about scenario creation that I haven't found an answer on in other areas.

Is it possible to clone a scenario from a short[er] route and port it over to a route extension that features the same trackage without using external programs that you have to download?

Here are some examples of short[er] routes to route extensions that I mean (but please do not assume that I'm going to make scenarios for all of these routes if I haven't already, these are just examples).

• North Jersey Coast Line -> North Jersey Coast & Morristown Lines
    • San Francisco to San Jose -> San Francisco to Gilroy
    • North London Line -> North London & Goblin Lines
    So is it possible to clone scenarios from shorter routes and port them over to their route extension counterparts like in the examples I posted above? I hope there is since that would save a lot of time when it comes to adding traffic trains and parked trains to a scenario on a route extension.

Again, even though I said not to assume that I'm going to make scenarios for those routes that I mentioned, you can see my Steam Workshop portfolio here to see my existing scenarios and to be informed of when any of my new ones get released. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198010796129/myworkshopfiles/?appid=24010

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  2. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

As far as I know, there's no provision in the scenario editor (officially, the Timetable Editor) to copy a scenario created for one route to another route, but that can be achieved "manually".

First, you have to know the numeric codes of both routes and the scenario you want to copy. Those codes are most easily obtained by using the RW_Tools scenario editor, which displays them.

Once you have the codes (you'll really need only the first group of numbers of each code), open Steam>Railworks>Routes and then the folder for the route in which the scenario already resides.

And, as WS reminded us, "There's the rub" -- maybe. If that route folder does not contain a Scenarios sub-folder, its contents are locked away in an AP file. If tht's the case, head back to RW_Tools to decode the AP file (see the RW_Tools help file.)

Once the Scenarios folder is available, open it, find the folder of the scenario you want to copy, and copy it to your desktop or some other convenient location. Return to the Routes folder and open the folder of the route into which you want to copy the scenario. Here again, you may find yourself facing a dreaded AP file.) Move the scenario folder you copied earlier into the Scenarios folder you've just opened.

That's it! However, unless the route to which you have copied the scenario contains exact duplicates of all the trackage and route-level track markers that the copied scenario utilizes, the copied scenario will almost certainly not run or open for editing in its new route. I write "almost certainly" because I've never tried to do this myself.

Good fortune! and please let the forum know how this worked out.