Question Thread - Spirit Of Steam Preview (thurs 19th May, 19:00 Utc)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by DTG JD, May 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Hello folks - we'll have our first Spirit of Steam preview next week (Thursday 19th May, 19:00) UTC), and we're all excited to hear what you think.

We'll be taking the Jubilee out for a spin, and covering the top-level information about the route. We know you have questions, so here's a chance to ask them - we'll take the relevant ones from this thread and use them in the stream next week. We'll try to give an overview next Thursday, with more detail coming in a future preview stream, so we'll put the questions into relevant pots accordingly.

(Don't worry - the 8F will be previewed soon, so we'll save any questions for it for that stream).

Question away!

EDIT - 20TH MAY

Hey folks. This is still open for questions for next week's stream (week beginning 23rd May) - as well as any suggestions for things you may want to see.

So far on the list we have...
    • 8F (plus freight yards)
    • Adverse weather
    • Night-time
    • Turntable operation
    • Crewe station

Last edited: May 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 9
  2. MLP Derick

MLP Derick Well-Known Member

Will there be any services or scenarios that have double headers second will there be operational faults including firebox blowback from leaving the firebox door open when going into a tunnel or damaging the side rodes for example

3. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

1) Can you confirm that the steam loco's and coaches will have livery designer support at launch?
    2) Will the water level change with the gradiuent adding that extra challenge to protect the fusible plugs?
    3) What oportunities will there for be refueling such as taking water and coaling?
    4) Will Sam finally get an opportunity to VO for the tutorials? :P
    5) Will we see any route disks or headboards?

Will add more as think of them

Last edited: May 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Manual.pdf

• Like Like x 13
  5. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

I'm really excited for the route but I have worried slightly about day 1 performance and playability especially on the consoles, has it been tested on consoles thoroughly and how has it been looking?

Also is there any guards whistle sound or something similar that could be played once you complete loading and the doors close before you set off? And is that's something that could be looked at with guards buzzers/bells on locos in the future?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Will you add railtour support for routes such as east coast way (like the existing Lewes to Eastbourne excursion)

• Like Like x 9
  7. elaineedwards2013

elaineedwards2013 Well-Known Member

Will there be a special railtour with the Jubilee as a layer, on routes in the future?
    E.g.,
    London Commuter (London Victoria to Brighton)?

Great Western Express (London Paddington - Reading)?

East Coastway (Lewes to Eastbourne)?

Southeastern High Speed (Gravesend / Rochester to Faversham)?

• Like Like x 8
  8. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Will the particles effect be what we can expect for release or is there still work going on?

Is there already a plan, how Adams team could implement the particles effect for preserved Diesel locos und the fixed wheel motion blur for already ingame stock?

• Like Like x 1
  9. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

The Crewe - Liverpool route comes with a good variety of rolling stock.

Still want to ask if there are plans for a loco, freight or wagon dlc, which add additional services or substitute into the existing ones?

• Like Like x 3
  10. swrfan#2570

swrfan#2570 New Member

Will we be able to see any AI traffic only heading off the map towards Warrington at Weaver Junction?

• Like Like x 1
  11. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

1. How will "in and out" pilot workings be handled at Lime Street, to and from the carriage sidings, also turning and servicing steam locos?
    2. Will there be steam heat effects from the coaching stock when heating is connected?
    3. Why was the opportunity not taken to add a Mark One catering vehicle (at the least a RMB) when most of the expresses would have conveyed one?
    4. How are local trains going to be represented as a Jubilee on 3 or 4 coaches will look wrong?
    5. Will steam effects vary with the ambient temperature?
    6. How complex will the locos be to operate given the rather difficult "expert" level Bossman adopted for their TSC steam?
    7. How will the in game advertising be implemented on this route or will it be exempt?

Last edited: May 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  12. meridian#2659

Actually this question is a good one which i would like to get answered too.

• Like Like x 1
  13. OldVern

Indeed and I was also thinking back to another thread where this was raised the other day. If it's like Derail Valley steam you literally spend all your time flitting between various controls with the mouse leaving little or no time to watch the line ahead.

14. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Will diesel locos be substituted into the Liverpool to Crewe route timetable ?, or is this route focused exclusively on steam ?

• Like Like x 1
  15. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

only steam i think

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. JellyScrub

JellyScrub Active Member

Is there room in the timetable for a tank engine DLC down the line? (pardon the pun)

17. AtherianKing

should be the case as all TSW 2 releases are stated to include this feature at release

18. CowBoyWolf

Key Features
    • 36-mile (58 km) route from Liverpool Lime Street to Crewe, as it was in 1958
    • Historically accurate details, trackwork and infrastructure
    • 15 authentic stations
    • LMS Jubilee Class Steam Locomotive in BR Late Brunswick Green livery
    • LMS Stanier 8F Class Steam Locomotive in weathered BR Late Unlined Black livery
    • Mk1 FK, TSO, BSO and BG Coaches in BR Maroon and Blood & Custard liveries
    • 16t Mineral, 5-plank, Conflat and Standard Van Wagons, and a 20t Brake Van
    • All-new authentic steam locomotive simulation
    • Highly detailed, feature-rich, driving cabs with accurate true-to-life performance and handling
    • Authentic and detailed sound recordings, recorded from the real locomotives
    • Journey Mode featuring over 24 hours of activities for you to master
    • Accessible Training Modules and 5 detailed and engaging scenarios
    • Extensive 24-hour Timetable
    • A selection of Route Tasks to complete
    • Livery Designer, Scenario Planner and Creators Club compatible
    • Powered by Dovetail Games’ proprietary SimuGraph® vehicle dynamics engine and Unreal Engine 4® technology

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

Answer is almost definitely a no, those routes might get some steam railtours later on as an update but they won't be present for release. I imagine future modern routes will feature steam railtours however.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

"If it's not on the Roadmap"...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

I think the answers are supposed to come from DTG. You're just speculating here.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

Implementing the new particle system on Diesel locos probably doesn't make too much sense given how it's a different type of fumes and would also look different in real life. As for the wheel motion blur fix - probably not. They'll look into it but chances are it would need way too much work as the way they fixed it relies on a different way of setting up the wheels in their early stages so it might be too much of a risk for the Pres Team to touch.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

Yes this thread is for DTG, that's right, and obvisously they should answer them too. But some of the questions are ones that have either already been answered or where the answer is almost certain based on what they've done before. In that case I see nothing wrong with pointing out what the most likely outcome is.

You are more than welcome to wait for an answer from DTG if you don't trust my judgement, that's fine, because no I am not 100% sure. But I am confident enough to at least drop it in here for the time being.

24. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

So a couple of questions I want to ask here:

1. How will the two liveries on the Mk1 coaches be utilised on this route? Will it mostly be seeing services that either consist of just one Mk1 livery or the other, or will there be some services that consist of a mixture of the two Mk1 liveries.

2. How much of the passenger timetable from 1958 will get represented here? Will every passenger service that ran around that time feature, or will some services be left out for future DLC's?

3. A big one for me, how will the turnaround at Liverpool Lime Street be handled? As in, when a passenger service comes into Liverpool Lime Street, and then another loco couples to the back of that service to ultimately take that service back again, what happens to the loco that brought that service in? Does it utilize the turntable at either Liverpool Lime Street or Edge Hill? Does it just run round the loop line in order to get back facing towards Crewe again? Or is that loco even used again after that point?

3. Will we see AI services that continue up the WCML towards Warrington Bank Quay and beyond, and similarly, will there be AI traffic for services coming from some of the other lines going into Liverpool Lime Street?

4. Finally, how will freight actually work on this route, and will every wagon that comes with the route actually be utilised to the fullest in service mode?

5. What are the 15 stations located along this route? Because I've seen it listed as such on the steam page for this route, but from having a look at the route and what stations where around in 1958, I've only been able to count 14, which are:
    • Crewe
    • Winsford
    • Hartford
    • Acton Bridge
    • Runcorn
    • Ditton Junction (Closed in 1994)
    • Halebank (Closed in the same year as when this route is set)
    • Allerton (Closed in 2005, reopened in 2006 as Liverpool South Parkway)
    • West Allerton
    • Mossley Hill
    • Sefton Park (Closed in 1960, two years after this route is set)
    • Wavertree(Closed in the same year as when this route is set)
    • Edge Hill
    • Liverpool Lime Street
    So I count that as 14, so is the 15 listed on the steam page a mistake. or is there actually a 15th station on this route that I have missed? Because I couldn't find one that jumped off the chart for me as most other station that could have been included are either outside of the boundaries for this route, or were closed long before 1958 came around.

7. Will the 8F have any passenger services or is just restricted to freight workings? (Same for the Jubilee, is that solely going to be working passenger trains, or is it doing other things on this route like postal trains or express freight workings?).

Last edited: May 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  25. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

1. How many Jubilees will have nameplates with their respected numbers?
    2. Any industrial services include for freight?
    3. What is the number range for the 8Fs
    4. (trick question) Did the Jubilee had any other liveries during the BR era, other than Brunswick green?
    5. (general) Is there gonna be more steam locos and routes be planned to make in the near future?
    Final one:
    1. Can the tenders be refillable, and are there any water and coal towers that are either intractable or just there from the year the route represents.

• Like Like x 1
  26. elaineedwards2013

elaineedwards2013 Well-Known Member

That is what I meant, a future update.

27. OldVern

Okay here's another leading question which hasn't been asked yet, so far as I can see...

Why is there not the usual pre-order 10% discount on this title? Will there be one available in the next couple of weeks coming up to release? If not, why not?

Actually that's three questions but they are connected.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

I'd say it's very unlikely but it might happen. TT updates are very rare given how risky it is and that things can easily go wrong that break the whole thing but they might be able to add a service or two. Would definitely be nice to see though.

29. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

It is possible that there won't be one, they have done pre-orders without discounts before and maybe this is one of them. Seems weird for them to only start the pre-orders sale a week into the pre-order period but I guess they might do that. We'll see what they say on Thursday.

30. matthewupv#3726

matthewupv#3726 Member

1) How realistic is wheelslip on the locomotives?
    2) Will the steam engines whistle out of tunnels like they would have done back in the 50's?
    3) Can you control how much steam comes out of the whistle like you can in real life to give the whistle a different pitch?

• Like Like x 1
  31. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

1) will Gen 8 consoles share the same timetable as Gen 9 and Pc?
    2) does the timetable include lots of ai trains coming from all the of world destinations (like a rush-hour route)?
    3) do the freight services make use of all the yards?
    4) is Crown street freight yard included? (near edge hill station)

32. WonterRail

I did add a 5th question to my original question page, but to put it here simply...:

What are the 15 stations located along this route? Because I've seen it listed as such on the steam page for this route, but from having a look at the route and what stations where around in 1958, I've only been able to count 14, which are:
    • Crewe
    • Winsford
    • Hartford
    • Acton Bridge
    • Runcorn
    • Ditton Junction (Closed in 1994)
    • Halebank (Closed in the same year as when this route is set)
    • Allerton (Closed in 2005, reopened in 2006 as Liverpool South Parkway)
    • West Allerton
    • Mossley Hill
    • Sefton Park (Closed in 1960, two years after this route is set)
    • Wavertree(Closed in the same year as when this route is set)
    • Edge Hill
    • Liverpool Lime Street
    So I count that as 14, so is the 15 listed on the steam page a mistake. or is there actually a 15th station on this route that I have missed? Because I couldn't find one that jumped off the chart for me as most other station that could have been included are either outside of the boundaries for this route, or were closed long before 1958 came around.

33. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

When using both locos in scenario planner, will there be a consist with the preserved versions of Mk1 coaches from WSR?

What other consits will be available ?

• Like Like x 1
  34. traincloud

traincloud Member

Will any scenarios or services feature the immersion of changing weather like in Boston - Providence? It would be great to take on the challenge of keeping the loco under control while rain gets progressively heavier for example.

35. CowBoyWolf

Dynamic weather it's called :)

36. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

Will we get parked wagons and locos at yards for 8th gen consoles?

37. rpb1966

rpb1966 Well-Known Member

Will the commuters be wearing vintage style clothes or modern day clothes?

38. WonterRail

I think this image should provide the answer...
    [​IMG]
    Found on the steam page for this route.

• Like Like x 2
  39. derek#2931

derek#2931 Well-Known Member

Will automatic fireman be a feature??????

40. meridian#2659

I think it was mentioned that there will be an automatic fireman, and if you prefere you can also do both. It was also said that playing as fireman only isnt possible. But this has been a while, so who knows.

41. theozzmanishere

theozzmanishere New Member

Will there be a lift feature for the safety valve?

42. Bertil Persson

Bertil Persson Active Member

Would you show the automatic fireman? And I hope you have a good position, as a driver, to see through the windshield window and see the signals in good time before passing them. That's really a disaster in the A3 and A4 in TS Classic. You don't see anything inside the footplate. And you're missing the AWS when leaning out of the window. (No AWS in the 50:s though.) Exiting it is, though.

Why no preview discount?

43. AtherianKing

One of the first features I noticed when this image released

I’m glad they took the opportunity to do this as I was worried they would go with the 80s look or even more problematic would be the modern

44. cheal

cheal New Member

Will the steam locos add services to other routes or layer onto other routes?

45. cheal

cheal New Member

How do I turn on and off the automatic fireman?

• Like Like x 1
  46. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Can the 8F substitute for the Jubilee on passenger services for more variety?

• Like Like x 3
  47. oakleymoss#1362

oakleymoss#1362 Well-Known Member

Will Headboards be a feature on the Jubilees?

• Like Like x 2
  48. steamfan#1309

steamfan#1309 Well-Known Member

Does the 0-6-0 loco in the mastery update a hint to something planned in the future?

49. oakleymoss#1362

oakleymoss#1362 Well-Known Member

Only steam. the only diesel that we have currently in game that was in use in the late 50s was BR Class 08 shunter. However, in game all versions of the class 08 are in the wrong livery. BTW, the shunter that comes with WSR is the BR Class 09. This locomotive is in the correct livery however this class was built from 1962, 4 years after the year that the Crewe to Liverpool route is set in (1958).

As there is up to 3 versions of the class 08 in game, all are in different liveries, I don't think that it would hurt to get one in either BR unlined black or BR green. This would be helpful as they haven't announced any sort of locomotive that will be acting as station pilot for Liverpool Lime Street.

upload_2022-5-15_19-5-50.png upload_2022-5-15_19-6-44.png

• Like Like x 4
  50. Dath Vater 208

Dath Vater 208 Active Member

Probably in gameplay settings, as in TS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.