Quick Performance Test

Discussion in 'Creators Club' started by geloxo, Nov 17, 2020.

1. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

I hope this is the right place to post videos, as this is my first TSW2 video :o It was just to test how smooth and nice game can be, when we get rid of stuttering and improve the visuals. I hope you like it. Settings are included in the description

In video we still have some, but are mainly caused by my video recording itself and the tile loading. Original gameplay one is much better.

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Cool thing! PC spec, please :)
    The Dispatcher looks very inviting \o/

UPDATE

My LENOVO ideapad 330 is not so very happy about this attempt... :D
    I'll also try to deal with the Dispatcher. I think I made an approach once, but something did not work. I am lazy and incompetent!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Added to description. My specs:

i9900k + 2080Ti + 32 Gb RAM + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD

Cheers

4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Threads on this topic (engine.ini), as well as your (and other) posts, are scattered around the forum. I could look for it, analyze it ... I'm sorry, please, but - could you briefly discuss these settings?

I made a rehearsal. HMA. The performance difference is colossal ... to my advantage. Is it even normal? I am asking out of curiosity. I'm going to be using these settings for a few days. I just add: I'm currently using DX11 - DX12 is blowing my laptop up.

PS Although I haven't tested with your config. NVIDIA - default - under application control.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2020
  5. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Sure mate. Here you have the briefing:

r.ViewDistanceScale=2 (increase the scenery viewdistance --> more content displayed at distance)

r.LandscapeLODDistributionScale=4 (increases terrain detail distance --> avoids terrain covering tracks/tunnels)

r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.25 (increases objects detail distance --> avoids many drawing artifacts at medium distances in scenery and track geometry)

foliage.LODDistanceScale=4 (increases foliage detail distance --> avoids trees pop-in effect)

r.Shadow.DistanceScale=4 (increases shadows distance --> placebo, left just in case it changes in future, as currently shadows distance can only be reduced, not increased)

r.MotionBlurQuality=0 (diable motion blur as there´s a bug in settings and it is not disabled via game settings)

r.TextureStreaming=0 (loads all scene and allows textures in max resolution, preventing blurry textures at medium distances too)

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  6. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I set up a run on HRR identical to yours but I am still getting stuttering. However after doing some performance analysis and data heuristics I think I have figured out that the problem for me is that my SSD is:
    1. Too slow at random read (~32MB/s)
    2. Too high access time latency (0.160 ms)
    I have been due for a storage upgrade for a while so hopefully my next SSD (perhaps an Intel 660p?) will resolve the remaining tile-loading stuttering. :)

7. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Each system has its bottleneck. Once you find it adjust in accordance. For me visuals are important, as game can give us much more than the default settings do. That´s why I increase viewdistances. If your system is not going smooth don´t push it. Start by removing the r.ViewDistanceScale=2. This will reduce a lot of workload (less objects will be put into rendering), and continue with others.

I´m just fine with those as I like to have a good definition of distant tracks. Running now East Coastway at a constant 70 fps which is incredible indeed, with perfect details in the track ahead, no terrain covering tunnels and bridges and no scenery nor trees pop-in. This game can be beautiful indeed. They shouldn´t cap it so much, as it can give us much more if they balance it well :D

TS2Prototype-Win64-Shipping 2020-11-17 23-43-59.jpg

TS2Prototype-Win64-Shipping 2020-11-17 23-56-28.jpg

TS2Prototype-Win64-Shipping 2020-11-18 00-00-55.jpg

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  8. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I am surprised my ideapad managed on these settings. 30fps is still a feast for me, but now it looks less powdery at least.
    Are You sure?

The image is less tiring to my eyes after the changes. This could be it. Motion blur at fps below 30 massacres image quality and eyes. Now is much better. Without this ugly smudging.

9. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Yes the setting disables the blur permanently. You can still disable it with the game menu settings but that setting needs to be disabled each time you launch game again (that´s the bug).

I personally don´t like the blur. It adds a gosthing effect to wheels and overall to objects. You can delete that line from the config as well if you prefer to have blur.

Regarding the 30fps that´s good for a simulator. If you want start experimenting with the LODs. The higher the values the more details and the worse performance. So reduce them to 2 or 3 and see. The only exception is r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.25. That needs to be increased to get better performance. Try 0.5 or 0.75. My 0.25 is probably too extreme to most users. The default value is 1. Going above 1 will make details look worse indeed.

One option you can try is (this doubles de object LOD distance and multiplies by 3 the foliage and terrain LOD distances):

r.LandscapeLODDistributionScale=3
    r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.5
    foliage.LODDistanceScale=3

Or even more performance friendly (multiplies by 2 the foliage and terrain and increases just a bit the objects LOD):

r.LandscapeLODDistributionScale=2
    r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.75
    foliage.LODDistanceScale=2

I mean, test some values and see what´s better for you. But don´t go extreme or you will ruin performance.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  10. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I hate the blur too and I am shocked now. I had it theoretically turned off and didn't know where the smudging was coming from. I know that now. Thanks!

• Like Like x 2