Rapid Transit Dresden

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by FabkeSK, Aug 29, 2021.

1. FabkeSK

FabkeSK Member

1 Introduction
    Hello, everyone. I was very disappointed to find that the promised S-Bahn branches would not be part of the upcoming Nahverkehr Dresden route. Before, I planned to buy this route as soon as it will be released, but after this finding, I think I will wait for a discount. As I found out on this forum, I probably will not be the only one.

I noticed that other member of this forum already written suggestion for route extension to include originally proposed S-Bahn branches. I do not think his proposal was so well thought out. Nevertheless, it inspired me to make this suggestion so thank you jolojonasgames

2 About Route
    The S-Bahn Dresden consists of three lines. Line S1 runs from Meißen Triebischtal to Schöna. Line S2 runs from Dresden Flughafen to Pirna and line S3 from Dresden Hbf to Freiberg. I do not think line S3 is so important as to be included in this suggestion. For this reason, I will not mention it further.

The most important line S1 is 77 km long. It is quite long line, but it must not be forgotten that the 18 km long part from Coswig to Dresden Hbf has been already created and can be reused. This means that you only need to create 59 km of this line.

The S2 line is 32 km long, but it shares most of its length with the S1 line. The part of line that needs to be created from Dresden-Neustadt to Dresden Flughafen is 11 km long. If we calculate this, it is necessary to create 70 km of track which is the normal length of route in this game. For a better idea of what this network look like, I have inserted the map below.

Much of this suggestion involves the Elbtalbahn from Děčín to Dresden-Neustadt, whose proposal already exists in this forum. This route is part of the Trans-European Transport Network (TEN-T) and the fourth Pan-European Railway Corridor, which connects Dresden with Istanbul. For this reason, many freight trains run here. And I would almost forget. The route was opened in 1848 and is one of the oldest railway lines in Germany.

3 Map of the S-Bahn Dresden
    [​IMG]
    Source: wikipedia.org

4 Rolling Stock
    4.1 DB BR 143
    I do not think I have to introduce this class for a long time because we already know it from other routes in this game. In this route they are used for S-Bahn services.
    [​IMG]
    Source: dresdner-hobbyeisenbahner.de.tl

4.2 DB BR 146.2 (TRAXX P160 AC2)
    Another very well-known locomotive. They are used for S-Bahn services as well.
    [​IMG]
    Source: bahnbilder.de

4.3 DB BR 146.0 and DB BR 145
    The locomotive is the predecessor of the well-known, above-mentioned locomotive from TRAXX series (BR 146.2). They are very similar in design, but the differences are in the bowels. This is because it was developed much earlier than its older brother. The 146.0 series was intended to use in passenger transport. They are used for S-Bahn services.

Its almost identical twin BR 145 was designed for freight transport. However, due to the lack of locomotives, they were also used for passenger transport. They were replaced by DB BR 182.
    [​IMG]

4.4 DB BR 442 “Talent 2”
    Another very well-known electrical unit. The units consist of three-part and five-part sets. The difference is not only in the number of parts but also in the power and traction force. They are mainly used on Regional Bahn (RB) and Regional Express (RE) services but sometimes they can also be seen on S-Bahn services.
    [​IMG]

4.5 DB BR 182 (ES64U2)
    DB BR 182 is another well-known locomotive. It was used on S-Bahn services. After the change of timetable at the end of 2015, it was replaced by above-mentioned DB BR 146.0.
    [​IMG]

4.6 DB BR 193 “Vectron”
    I do not think Vectron needs to be introduced for long. Each of us knows him or at least has heard of him. Very widely used locomotive for both passenger and freight transport.
    [​IMG]
    Source: rail.pictures

4.7 DB BR 189 (ES64F4)
    DB BR 189 is a locomotive used in freight transport. It is mainly used in international transport due to its multi-system properties.
    [​IMG]
    Source: mdr.de

4.8 DB BR 186 / BR 386 [TRAXX F140 MS(2E)]

Another frequently used locomotive on this route is DB BR 186 / BR 386. It is multi-system version of the classic TRAXX series of the second generation. Also used exclusively in freight transport.
    [​IMG]
    Source: flickr.com

5 Interesting Places
    5.1 Königstein Fortress
    Königstein Fortress is one of the oldest mountain fortresses in Europe. The photo below shows the fortress from the perspective of route.
    [​IMG]
    Source: bahnstatistik.de

5.2 Elbe river
    The river Elbe flows along the entire route, creating a unique environment. The river as well as the route leads through the Elbe valley. Water transport on this river began in the Bronze Age and still works today.
    [​IMG]

5.3 Dresden Friedrichstadt
    Dresden Friedrichstadt freight station is a place where many freight trains stop or interrupt their journey. The station also includes intermodal terminal as seen on the left, below on the photo.
    [​IMG]
    Source: luftbildsuche.de

5.4 Railway bridge in Meißen
    Railway bridge over the river Elbe with a beautiful view of the castle Albrechtsburg with Meißen Cathedral. This castle is said to be the oldest in Germany.
    [​IMG]

6 Services
    S1
    Meißen Triebischtal – Bad Schandau (every 30 minutes)
    Bad Schandau – Schöna (every 60 minutes)
    Meißen Triebischtal – Dresden Hbf / Pirna (as needed)

S2
    Dresden Flughafen – Pirna (every 30 minutes)

RE18
    (Cottbus -) Coswig – Dresden Hbf (every 2 hours)

RE50
    (Leipzig Hbf -) Coswig – Dresden Hbf (every 1 hour)

7 Cabviews
    S1 Meißen Triebischtal - Schöna

S2 Dresden-Neustadt - Dresden Flughafen

8 My comments on previous suggestions
    8.1 Elbtalbahn: Dresden-Neustadt – Děčín
    I think it was a great suggestion as mine contains most of what you wrote about. However, to build completely new track signs, catenary system, signals and basically everything that makes Czech lines different from the German ones just because of the 12 km long section, in my opinion, means too much effort. There is also a problem with the licensing of EuroCity (EC) trains as they are composed mainly of locos and wagons under ČD liveries.

8.2 Route Extension to Nahverkehr Dresden
    In my opinion, the main problem with this approach is price. Let’s say that people like me who prefer S-Bahn services would have to pay first for the Nahverkehr Dresden and then for Route Extension to that route. Just to drive about 23 km extra.
    My suggestion focuses on S-Bahn services and freight trains. Something like Rhein Ruhr Osten. Finally, we would have a long S-Bahn network, especially after criticizing the Hauptstrecke Rhein Ruhr for services that are too short.

9 Conclusion
    I want to thank you for reading this far. I spend hours and hours writing and translating this suggestion. I hope that this suggestion does not go unnoticed because I think it is worth considering. I hope I did not offend anyone. I just wanted to present my idea that could succeed. And what do you think of this proposal? Please comment below.

• Like Like x 15
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and for Riesa-Dresden it has the DB BR363 which can work for Rangierbanhof Dresden Fredrichstadt. DB BR145 will play like DB BR143 family including Hamburg-Lübeck DB BR112 as the mixed passenger Freight locomotive. Which means on this route then layered onto Hauptstrecke München-Augsburg Rhein-Ruhr Main Spessart Bahn RSN RRO & SKA you have DB BR145 Doppelstockwagen service and freight services. The freight services drop out at Aachen Rothe Erde if Rapid Transit Dresden is made since everyone gets Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen base game.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

Personally, i would have rathered Riesa Dresden be delayed rather then have routes 'cut'. At some point, I would like DTG to add these to the base DLC and give everyone who purchased the DLC a FULL REFUND

• Like Like x 1
  4. FabkeSK

FabkeSK Member

I accept your opinion. However, I do not think that will become a reality. They set too big goals that could not be met within the set time. If they stretched time, they probably would not achieve the desired profit. Even if they postponed the release of the route and increased the price, people would be just as dissatisfied because they would have to pay more. This would lead to a longer time and insufficient profit from the sale. Whether we like it or not, DTG is a company like any other. A company that does not make a profit cannot move forward, which leads to crisis, bankruptcy and extinction.

I was not happy when I found out that these branches will be missing, but I found a way to include them in the game. And as far as I know, the DLC Nahverkehr Dresden has not yet been released, so what kind of refund are we talking about? I would like similar comments under this thread not to appear again because they are not directly related to it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I can appreciate your take on things. I definetely recognise some of the issues you pointed out about my current two suggestions in the area around Dresden.

It's a difficult issue to solve, but I think this suggestion should definetely be taken into consideration, as it provides the branches as part of a standalone DLC (thus overcoming the DLC on DLC issue).

Anyways it's great to see people still discussing this issue and coming up with new suggestions!

• Like Like x 1
  6. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

You do realise that makes no sense, at all, right?

As much as I would prefer the branches were on Dresden, this S-Bahn Dresden idea not only adds more, but could also merge in with BRD, making a better experience than the original plan.

And, onto you're "FULL REFUND" thing;

Someone who bought the season ticket would be getting Boston, Brighton Main & Dresden all for free then?
    And if they (for whatever reason) decided to just buy Dresden, that's the whole route for free.

I kinda want to laugh tbh.

Anyway, I quite like this suggestion FabkeSK, would be good to see in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  7. aglomarsale

aglomarsale Well-Known Member

This is now in game!

8. aglomarsale

aglomarsale Well-Known Member

oh nevermind sry im just reading the texts now