Realtek Audio Driver Win10_r282

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by OldVern, Nov 22, 2022.

1. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

My PC is running with the original Realtek driver 6.0.1.7606 which is very basic and doesn't seem to include any of the utilities which appear when you Google, "How to get the best out of Realtek sound". Not that happy with the quality of sound in quite a few of my games, not just TSW but TSC and various other titles.

So quick question(s), has anyone updated their OEM Realtek drivers with the latest one as shown above?
    Could it potentially brick my sound setup?
    Is the sound quality improved?
    Once installed what's the recommended settings for 2.0 Stereo speakers.

Ideally I should probably drop a soundcard in the PC or buy a DAC, but the latter are quite expensive and better off keeping the money back for an eventual new PC purchase. So on board Realtek it is for now.

2. I've never had any problems with realtek audio or drivers. I always keep all my drivers up to date.

There's always usb speakers?

3. OldVern

Strange thing is, Windows showed the drivers up to date but just tested r282 on the laptop and it did increment them.

I do have a set of reasonable speakers hooked up to the on board 3.5mm output socket, but I haven't been happy for some time with the overall quality. Brought home watching YT reviews where the sound is really good but loading the same game on the PC, nowhere near as good (Taurus Mountain being the latest).

4. Windows only updates the driver I think and not the software or app for the device.

Have you setup audio through the realtek app? Windows will normally setup the audio but it's always a good idea to check that the audio is set to 2 channel and not 5.1 or above, as most games that have 5.1 or above will automatically use 5.1 if available.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. OldVern

Thanks Dave, I'll grab the app as it didn't install with the pure driver download.

6. OldVern

Unfortunately it appears the app no longer downloads from Microsoft (just returns an error message) which is the only place it seems to be available.

7. Whats the model of your realtek sound device?

I'm just looking at mine and it's got auto detection, so if I plug in 2 channel speakers it automatically sets the sound too 2 channel. My mb is quite new though.

8. OldVern

I think it's older than that Dave - PC was built in around 2015/16 old ASUS motherboard. Anyhow the drivers installed okay and working but whether it's better than before I'm still waiting to test.