Regarding Flight Sim World...

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by TrainSim-Jay, Apr 23, 2018.

1. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

It's not just because of that - it's because of incredibly poor timing and an utter lack of communication (as is usual for DTG). This gets the rumour mill spinning.

Vehicle simulation is a rather specific niche with a tightly knit community - Jay has been the community manager for years and he vanished all of a sudden. No announcement, no "so long and thanks for all the fish" message, nothing.

Add that to Monday's announcement about FSW being cancelled and it feels like Jay had to hand in his badge at the end of the day. That is unusual and rather rude towards a community.

To draw down parallels: what if Notch (Markus Persson of Minecraft fame) had just vanished when he accepted Microsoft's money, without writing anything about what's happening? Just deleted his accounts and moved on? I'm pretty sure some people would've called the police to file a missing persons report...

2. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

It's only a matter of time, not so much if, but when.

3. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

Clearly alot of you have got things in your head that your stuck on.

TSW has alot more customers and interest than FSW.......therefore when they released content and customers found problems they didnt have the time or money to improve its content.

They have learnt that more QA is needed and this is why that part has to be closed. Itd be like burger king saying were not doing chicken nomore? Yeah itd annoy people but its not feesable to do it for them, yes it attracts people there and they would try get them to buy other stuff that is their money making but they just now want to focus on what is the biggest selling franchise of the business and thats trains.

So stop being grumpy and mardy about it, they have NO obligation to share any information if they wish not to, and although a good relationship with customers helps the keep you lot happy, it doesnt pay their bills, so no they dont need to communicate business plans or reasons why theyre changing how they do things.

Project info yes, business info no.

Im sure their time and money is much better spent on developing content than being on the forum all the time

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  4. TrainSim-Martin

TrainSim-Martin Well-Known Member

Hey folks,

We will do our very best - until we can get another main point of contact for you guys I'll be asking various staff to keep an eye. One of the key things I'd like to do is make sure you get a response on a thread - it might only be "Heard and sent to the Devs!" if that's all we've got time for, but that would at least show you guys it had been heard. All the people monitoring the forums at the moment also have their regular duties as well, but we'll be watching en masse!

Yes apologies about the Dev tracker - I don't think we'll be able to get Jay's posts back on there. I'll see about getting the rest of us added.

Best wishes,
    Martin

• Like Like x 8
  5. Medellinexpat

Medellinexpat Well-Known Member

Agree with Kuu and Ian. There is a lot of emotion running around on the Steam Forums. Kind of rather like a pitch invasion

I'm not surprised we haven't seem more forum moderators around. People have been fired, no doubt some given new positions, managers changed - most of us will have seen something like this in our own work places, some several times. At this point communication will be coming from the center and anyone who types anything in a forum is going to have to be careful they don't start a firestorm.

As to the impact on other products beyond FSW presumably if there was going to be anything else they would have lumped all the bad news together. If they didn't - they really are stupid. The worst thing for them would be an ongoing drip of cut backs.

Dovetail haven't handled this very well. This event, just on the back of a big sale (which might be them reaching for revenue) does have a little odor to it and won't stop the concept that things are not well at Dovetail. Now might be an excellent time to put up a piece of freebie DLC (that works!) on Steam to get people focused on a positive than a negative. Perhaps now might even be the time to offer deeply discounted (or even free) TSW base packs to existing TS2018 users. After all, people might them buy a piece of DLC.

And if they don't want to give away free stuff then a user survey might be worthwhile. They need the demographics of their user base to position the product(s) properly and would at least give people the opportunity to let off (no pun intended) steam. Even including a list of the most egregious bugs and issues and allowing respondents to prioritize them might build a bridge. They might even understand what really (another pun) bugs people the most.

I think the responses to this will be 'it will never happen' and of course it probably won't. But my bet is that Dovetail of they aren't responding to these forums at the moment are reading them to try to help figure what to do next. These forums aren't a bad place at the present time to plant seeds in their minds.

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. TrainSim-Martin

TrainSim-Martin Well-Known Member

While I take umbrage at being treated like a garden, this is very, very accurate :P

In other news I've got the Dev tracker working again - for myself at least. I've prodded the others to test if their contributions are appearing, more info as we get it.

• Like Like x 5