Release The Music!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Doomotron, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

In TS2014 and 2015 we had menu music (one version for each game). I, along with many others, loved the songs, and I was disappointed when they were removed. Why don't DTG (assuming they can) release the WAV/DAV files so we can finally get a full-quality version of the tracks again?

As far as I know of, there are three versions of the track:
    • The original TS2014 version
    • The TS2015 version
    • Another version of the track used in the TS2015 trailer that was relegated to just the trailer, and was never added to the game nor released publicly from what I have heard
    There are also the TrainSimLive tracks, which I believe are remixes of the normal menu music.
    • The TrainSimLive version used by Matt Peddlesden (available as a DAV file on his Blogspot already)
    • A vocal version that's based on the TSL version (I am not sure if this version actually exists, but I have heard that it does, and along with the TSL version was made/remixed by Astral Plane Music)
    And if they do release some or all of them, please release them as both DAV and WAV files. DAV is the proprietary audio format used by Train Simulator, and cannot be played in media players. A WAV version is needed if we want to listen to the tracks outside of the menu. In the past, it has been possible to change the menu music in Train Simulator, but weirdly, this has been broken and, for me at least, you cannot change the menu music. This might be my fault, however.

• Like Like x 2
  2. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

I gotta agree with you on this one. I quite liked the menu music, and I miss it. It'd be nice to have it back.

• Like Like x 1
  3. treid09

treid09 Guest

Fantastic idea! I always liked it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BritishRail60062

BritishRail60062 Active Member

I got fed up with the wagon sounds and replace mine with this.

It has a nice mood and it fits TS2021 nicely in my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  5. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

That's some nice music.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BritishRail60062

BritishRail60062 Active Member

Thanks. Most of the music from GT5 seems to fit well as menu music for this game. Maybe DTG should consider contacting Polyphony Digital to get a licence to use some of this music for the menu.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Doomotron

Actually I think PD license the music; not much of the GT soundtrack has been in-house since GT4. A lot of GTS' soundtrack comes from various Hotel Costes albums.
    Did changing the file work for you? It hasn't done it for me in years.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Someone on YouTube has put them up as a download (see description): but this is not an official means of getting it. I have my menu music set to the TS2015 one.

The vocal TSL theme came first, and Matt's menu music is a remix of that which I believe only came about because of the lack of menu music in TS2016.

You can change the menu music by physically replacing the UI_FrontEndLoop.dav file with one of the same name.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Doomotron

As I said earlier on, I can't change the menu music because when I do, it just doesn't play anything at all.
    The steps I'm following are:
    1. Place the song (in a WAV file) into the folder
    2. Go into the XML file and change the filename from UI_FrontEndLoop.dav to the name of the new file
    3. Do it in the BIN file as well
    4. Clear the cache
    Am I missing something?

10. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I think you now have to properly convert a wav file to a dav file, using the blueprint editor and I believe there's an upper size limit (I want to say 45MB but not too sure).

- In Steamapps\common\RailWorks, create a folder called Source if there isn't one.
    - In that folder, create a folder called 'Kuju'; in that, a folder called 'RailSimulatorCore'; in that, a folder called 'Audio'.
    - In that audio folder, put the .wav file in (make sure it's not called UI_FrontEndLoop.wav).
    - Back in the main RailWorks folder, launch BlueprintEditor2.exe
    - On the left hand panel, locate the .wav file.
    - Right-click, then in the dropdown go to Export, then Export this only. This will convert the .wav to a .dav and put it in the Assets folder.
    - In RailWorks\Assets\Kuju\RailSimulatorCore\Audio, rename the file UI_FrontEndLoop.dav to literally anything (you can delete it but best to keep a backup, just in case).
    - Rename your .wav file (now a .dav file) to UI_FrontEndLoop.dav.

You do not need to edit any .xml or .bin files.

11. Doomotron

It worked. I think my problem was the file sizes, because the music I used had a pretty small file size. Now I just have to download the entire Gran Turismo HD Concept soundtrack...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021