Route Merging Hype

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Alex_m30x#7297, May 3, 2022.

1. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Would love to see Manchester to Bury, I am suprised it has never featured in any of the simulators, although the Metro version of it appeared on an MSTS route.

Another obvious extension to the NTP is the Chat Moss route to Liverpool where you would have a logical ending to the trans-pennine local hauled services.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

And they've already built the approach to Liverpool Lime Street. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Not really. Cathcart at least has three termini and goes into Glasgow. There's variation in the scenery, starting urban and becoming more rural. The bit from Eastbourne to Ashford is basically fields and some very low hills...

A2B route, no variety
    79 services per day, all northern, all a2b, everything stops everywhere (Metro discounting)
    Again, all A2b, everything stops everywhere

I think for me the entire point of route extensions and merges are to bring variety rather than adding in every line and every run to and from every little place. And we know from history that TSW routes depict scenery fairly well but "rolling contryside" is just that
    I would like to see routes and networks which go from one area to another. Maybe fill in the "boring gaps" later on

4. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

an extension from Saltburn to complete the diverting line, would bring in two extra industries for freight to go to at Skinningrove and Boulby

• Like Like x 4
  5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

NTP could benefit from extension to York, perhaps.
    I also think ECW should go to Ore or even Ashford. Yes the service structure is simple but it takes trains to a logical end point. In the case of Marshlink, then opens the door for a retro Thumper DLC and of course by going to Hastings you could have the Hastings Diesel set in the game out on Railtours.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

And with Hastings being modelled that expands the opportunities even further for a Hastings - Charing Cross route.

7. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Yes please. I don't know about others, but having the Chatham Main Line again in TSW wouldn't be as enjoyable. I don't play the BML very often because I've played that route so many times already on TSC. Something completely new like the SEML would be more appealing. Chatham Main Line would only be good if it could merge, otherwise I'd rather have another route.

8. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

My friends and I are building the Ramsgate - Diver section of the SEML and likely to Ashford as well in TS. I always thought the SEML (particularly via Dover), while longer than CML, would be more fun to drive. There are the beautiful views between Dover and Folkestone and then the rare 100mph third rail section between Folkestone and Tonbridge. The section leading up to Charing Cross also has epic views of the city, so I really hope parts or all of that route is made at some point.

• Like Like x 2
  9. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

If DTG adopted extensions or merged routes it would be a winner. DTG seem to think that people who already own the base route would buy an extension and only then some of then. Bit pessimistic? I think think new players would be attracted to having a longer route as well.

The GWE is begging for an extension imo I'm guessing they would do this in little chunks and I would do Didcot to Oxford which of course would be joined to Reading, so you could add services from Didcot to Oxford and have Oxford Reading which could bypass Didcot. But it would also pave the way to future extensions like Didcot to Bristol which could then open possibilities to go into Wales or Devon. And then Oxford to Birmingham, it is a big 'if' I know but if they could add extensions in little chunks like these surely DTG would be onto a winner no?

I'd also like to see the old Coal freight going into the old Coal power station at Didcot just to add variety.

• Like Like x 1
  10. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Also The possibility of Hastings line Hastings Tonbridge with 4COR 411 Thumper if set in 1986 merged with ECW.

11. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

In 1986 ECW had mechanical signalling so the current iteration of it would not be realistic for 1986.

12. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Thanks for telling me about it so it must be BML ECW Hastings Line 1986 then for these routes to be merged with each other basically forming a network