Route Suggestion Nec Boston South Station To Providence

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jolt1080, Jan 12, 2018.

1. jolt1080

jolt1080 New Member

This is a route i would love to see for Amtrack Acela and Northeast Regional as well as MBTA trains on the line.

• Like Like x 4
  2. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

When the route editor is released, this is the first section of the NEC that my group and I will be creating. To take a quote from our development plan...

"Track work will begin at Boston South Station and end at Washington Union Station. Mainline tracks extend approximately 455.65 miles. It is extremely important that the tracks be laid continuously from one end of the route to the other. It is inadvisable to start somewhere in the middle because it greatly increases the difficulty of joining tracks together later in the development process."

The length of this section (approximately 44 miles) comes really close to what Great Western Express and Rapid Transit are.

• Like Like x 4
  3. jolt1080

jolt1080 New Member

Ive been dying for something from my home state since I bought Train Sim but apart from MBTA commuter rail and the NEC there isn't a lot going. And also do you intend to do the Springfield branch of the Northeast Reigonal service?

4. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Are you from MA or RI? I'm from Davisville, RI myself...right next to the tracks at MP 168. I uploaded the best pic I have of the area at the moment.

As for the MRS line, we plan to only create a little bit of it. Just enough to be visible from the mainline. If someone else wants to expand after the fact, that's fine.

Attached Files:

5. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

Absolutely no doubt about it. If Dovetail Games is going to make a section of the Northeast Corridor they've never done before, it's got to be an all-New England section of it between New Haven and Boston, preferably the whole thing between those two cities. I hope they make the full New Haven to Boston subdivision since that would be more prototypical for operations. In addition, I hope the Essex Steam Train Branch Line from Old Saybrook, CT to Haddam, CT so a steam locomotive can be included with some heavyweight passenger cars, cabooses and vintage freight cars; it would be the perfect blend of modern high speed and commuter passenger railroading mixed with a preserved steam railroad.

Even though Steve said that Boston's South Station in the New Years Quiz on the official website wasn't supposed to imply anything, I think it could actually imply that they're doing the Northeast Corridor out of Boston for their next section of it and that it will be made for Train Sim World. The quiz also had New York's Penn Station and San Francisco's 4th & King Street Station as options and Dovetail Games has made routes with those stations in them. They already have a partnership with Amtrak and did do research on Amtrak Northeast Corridor equipment last year, and MBTA looks like a partnership-friendly railroad when it comes to merchandising, so those are some other clues that Dovetail Games' next section of the Northeast Corridor will be the northeastern-most section featuring Boston.

Just because you have plans to do the whole Northeast Corridor (which does sound very ambitious and you should give it a try once the route building tools are available), doesn't mean Dovetail Games shouldn't or wouldn't make the Boston to Providence or New Haven section. They've done it before where they have made their own versions of routes that have already been done including the Peninsula Corridor, Soldier Summit, Sand Patch Grade and Settle & Carlisle. Besides, not everyone wants to operate CSX freight trains on the Northeast Corridor (yours or Dovetail Games' versions of it) for Train Sim World.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jolt1080

jolt1080 New Member

I am a MA native and live on the Fitchburg-North Station line. But would love to see other parts of the country and world but I would love somethi g around me

7. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

NEC_Male_TC,

I hope that DTG does make at least one section of the NEC. It would provide my group's project with tons of useful assets, signals, and rolling stock. I'm not opposed to them doing it at all.

8. jolt1080

jolt1080 New Member

Im down for whatever they would give for content regardless of area.

9. jolt1080

jolt1080 New Member

Are you planning to to all the various services that are not Amtrak throught the areas

10. TrainmanDuff

TrainmanDuff New Member

If for some reason DTG were to only make one section of the NEC why would they choose NYC or Philly. Some of the highest track speeds for the Acela are from Boston to New Haven. I'd hate to have a realistic Acela model and only top it out at 125.

11. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

Yes indeed, that's exactly the point, if Dovetail Games makes a section of the Northeast Corridor, it will help you on your full Boston to Washington version of it. I was just trying to mention some true facts of things that have happened before in their train simulation games so that some people (not you though) wouldn't be emotionally biased about their opposition of the New Haven to Boston section of the Northeast Corridor. In addition, each subdivision of the Northeast Corridor is unique from one another (Boston to New Haven, New Haven to New York City and New York City to Washington, D.C.). But since Dovetail Games already made the part of the Northeast Corridor from Philadelphia to New Haven for Train Simulator 2018, I agree that their next section of it (which will hopefully be made for Train Sim World) should be Boston to New Haven since that will help you on your version of it and will be a unique section compared to any other section of the Northeast Corridor.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Lawjester

Lawjester Well-Known Member

I really feel that the LIRR is being so neglected by DTG and it makes a very important contribution to the NEC. This route would look so good in TSW.

13. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I know that Csx freight is used on the Worcester line so could the MBta commuter rail Worcester line be on train sim world someday in the future?

14. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Well-Known Member

Even thou American content is off from my radar, after Peninsula Corridor I would definitely get behind another NEC route and also for third party content since I already have a section of NEC and LIRR. So why not to extend it if the option arises and enhance my collection.
    So I definitely like both ideas regarding that proposal.
    Thumbs up!

15. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

If.

16. jolt1080

jolt1080 New Member

Well this has gone well minus the Acela.

• Like Like x 3
  17. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

This route is here for the Rush Hour bundle with BML & Riesa-Dresden

18. jolt1080

jolt1080 New Member

I know and am very excited. I am surprised they opted for the single level MBTA passenger cars as opposed to the bi-level cars. Also surprised they went for the F40 over the HSP46. I'm would not be surprised if the Acela or the Avelia Liberty came later as a loco DLC.

19. dedh98mosqueto

dedh98mosqueto Active Member

I just hope this route counts as a part of the preservation routes. I had some great add ons for this route.

20. Jhonfrankford

Jhonfrankford New Member

Do all cat poles have those lights?

21. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

No, mostly just at interlockings so maintenance crews can see easier