Rush Hour Dlcs' Price

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by moczs_65, Aug 19, 2021.

1. moczs_65

moczs_65 Active Member

Rush Hour is not bad. 40€ for 3 routes, a good update. Great job DTG. But not for longer because you've done something very weird. What's the point to pay 30€ for only one route and add only 10€ for have all three ? This is absolutely not profitable. If Rush Hour is 40€, a single Rush Hour route should be between 10 and 20€. I don't know how you planned to win cash but you won't because this is scam in my opinion.

I wrote this thread with all due respect. Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It’s not a scam. You could maybe consider it a loss leader to encourage more interest, but then we don’t know what DTG’s profit margin is. Just be grateful you’ve got three routes for the price of one and a half.

• Like Like x 4
  3. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Interesting use of the word “respect”

• Like Like x 1
  4. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Scamming is unwillingly making someone pay more.

The only reason anyone would pay for one route is if they have literally no interest in the others, and wouldn't want to pay that extra for stuff they wouldn't really use.

It's called "options".

• Like Like x 3
  5. moczs_65

moczs_65 Active Member

I don't say "no" for options. You're right but i still think this is a little bit scam.

6. moczs_65

moczs_65 Active Member

I use that word to say that i want to show my opinion without annoy someone. But yeah. Somehow it wasn't a good use of that word. You're totally right.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

We do this every year. Always have.

Once a year we release a pack of 3 routes, most of the time it will include the base game as well. This is what enables us to keep the game "fresh" - it gives us a new jump-on point for players who haven't tried the game before. Would you rather try out a game from 5 years ago, or one that's only a couple of months old?

For existing players the annual release is a great way to get a few extra pieces for their collection at less than normal cost. For new players they get a range of routes and rail experiences, and we get something fresh to put our marketing behind. We've done it for over 10 years - it works.

What's different this year? The Season Ticket. This is a staggered release instead of all 3 routes releasing at once because we're behind the schedule we set for ourselves, and with an engine upgrade and console generation upgrade to contend with as well... you can see how today was a little bumpy, and even though it's calmed down now it'll be a few days yet until all these upgrade kinks have been worked out.

Yes, we make less per route on the annual release but we sell a lot more of them and we pick up new players in the process - something which happens at a much lower rate over the rest of the year. This doesn't mean the route releases are out of the ordinary for our release schedule. We're relatively consistent in this regard as you'll see with the upcoming previews on the remaining routes in the season ticket.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

It is common practice to have reduced prices on some things which bring people into the game and maybe have them buy other things. IN this case you notice that there are three routes in three different countries with different play styles etc
    Say you have someone who is into UK trains and only buys UK routes, but for "value's sake" spends £10 on the other two routes that they normally wouldn't bother with at full price. THey then try the US commuter route on a whim and find out they actually like the US system. They then go and buy other US routes (at full price or sale)
    Then you've made a sale you wouldn't have otherwise have had

It's not just games either
    Almost every major supermarket in the world is laid out such that the most commonly sold staples are in strategic locations around the store so you have to literally walk past other items you might want to buy just to buy those staples. In the UK a lot of supermarkets sell milk and butter at a loss, but those things get people in the stores

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. moczs_65

moczs_65 Active Member

Thanks for replying me. Now i see.

10. moczs_65

moczs_65 Active Member

Ok. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1