Save?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by LastTrainToClarksville, Sep 3, 2022.

Tags:
  1. March Hare

March Hare Well-Known Member

It works many times, however, so even memory corruption could be a factor. It sounds like there are various issues, one apparently sorted in the core already :)

2. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

Hi OldVern
    I can confirm that save & resume method using UUU & Console Commands works like a charm! Just finished Z-LACHOU7-05 Intermodal Service in Cajon Pass. The service started at Summit and finished at Barstow Yard, i stopped the train at Victorville before saving the game using UUU's console. No red light issue, no dispatcher issue, and no AI trains issue.

I think it proove that the original save game feature is okay although not perfect, please DTG, please bring it back.

• Like Like x 1
  3. March Hare

Thanks for confirming. I will need to use this as well while we await the reimplantation of save in a fixed state (which is %100 going to happen).

How exactly do we save and load using UUU?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  5. rickt#6959

rickt#6959 New Member

A save function is essential in any game even if it is just so you can stop and pick up where you left off at another time. If you save the "save file" at regular intervals, if it fails to reload you can just go top a previous version. Better to lose 15 minutes or so than have to start the scenario again!!

• Like Like x 4
  6. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Well put and you're exactly right.

Unfortunately, the decision was made and, like the rest of us, you'll have to live with it until DTG finds a solution, which we're assured will happen within " a few weeks ".

Whether we'll get the multiple save option remains to be seen. It would be nice and, actually, if memory serves me, was possible 20 years ago in MSTS.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. It's a madhouse sometimes, but a lot of fun, nevertheless. ;)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  7. IfICanDream

IfICanDream Active Member

I know one major game that doesn’t — MLB The Show 22. I don’t really play other sports game but baseball isn’t really a game to save unless you’re play CPU. But TSW is different. I never really noticed a problem with a saving games, so I hope they get this worked out.

8. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I wish these checkpoints were back in now

• Like Like x 3
  9. Crosstie

How did they work? Were they related to the save game function somehow?

I would like them back, they were useful sometimes when you accidentally went through a red light.

10. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

It used to like autosave at certain points of the route I believe. And if you reload, you load there. I think it was in tsw2020. I'm not sure/don't remember honestly

11. Crosstie

I know what it is. I was looking for a more informative answer. And it was in all iterations of TSW, up to and including TSW2.

12. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

My understanding is , they checkpointed at a go via, station or completed instruction . To me save game seems to be working absolutely fine now so now sure why it not in

• Like Like x 1
  13. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

The only route I had a red light issue after resuming was Harlem, but I think that route is borked anyway.

14. March Hare

You were lucky. It was almost every run, on every route I tried.

15. Crosstie

Regarding " Loading last checkpoint ":

I had actually asked this question back in June, 2021, so you are correct, Chief, though I was really looking for a technical explanation.

If it's a version of auto-save, it could be really useful if it were expanded to, say, every 10 minutes.

Why it hasn't returned and whether it will in the future are unanswered questions.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022