Scenario Creating Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trainbraint, Jun 16, 2021.

1. trainbraint

trainbraint Well-Known Member

I am a self-taught scenario creator, having taught myself through Matt Peddlesden's YouTube tutorial ( if anyone's interested) and have created scenarios mainly for my own use for about a year now, and have recently uploaded my first to workshop, planning on uploading more when I get the time. I was wondering if there were any tips and tricks, among you more experienced scenario creators out there, that I ought to know, that, for example, sped up the creating process, or add extra quality to scenarios. It would be great if there are.

• Like Like x 1
  2. johnmi_ckel

johnmi_ckel New Member

I feel like trying my hand at creating some custom scenarios and I'd like to hear what people with experience doing that have to snaptube vidmate say about it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  3. Robbo13

Robbo13 Active Member

Starting the Scenario
    Start off small. If it's you first time then trying to do a scenario at London Waterloo probably isn't the best place to start. Try somewhere that isn't as busy first, eg Settle to Carlisle, Riviera Line.

T.S. Dispatcher
    The dispatcher can be a pain at times, this is where you've got to time all the AI services to run at certain times, stop at certain stations etc. Starting off on a smaller route means it less likely that the dispatcher will route you the wrong way. It's things like that then when you get to a bigger route that the testing becomes really important- you should test any scenario before releasing, but for bigger routes/scenarios with plenty of AI, then run it a good 2 to 3 times after you've got it working correctly.

DLC
    So anything sold on the T.S. store, AP, Just Trains can be used in your scenarios, however if you use the latter, plus anything not on DTG/Steam store, then you won't be able to upload it to the workshop. Instead you'll have to upload it to a third party website.

Overall
    So yeah, if your wanting to create your own scenarios and upload them, go for it! But don't do to much for your first few otherwise you'll likely run into problems if your using the dispatcher for the first time.

Things like static AI in sidings, depots really add to the immersion. Also different weather, not just clear or fair cloud, adds that little bit more to the scenario.

If it's say a railtour you are doing, the class 89 and North Somerset railway come with photographers, putting some of them on stations makes the scenario look better as well.

If the train (player and AI) have destination boards, use them as they also add to the immersion.

There isn't much in speeding up the creation process. What your probably doing in that tutorial is probably the quickest way. If you have all the data you need then the process can be fairly quick (depending on route/amount of AI).

Something else you could put in is a little Easter egg. I've being putting the Police class 37 in my scenarios as something you've got to find during the scenario. That keeps people on their toes while driving at the same time.

I've uploaded nearly 50 scenarios over on ATS, unfortunately mine use 3rd party so couldn't go on the workshop, but to get all the comments back and seeing people say how they enjoyed the scenario, really makes it worth while, even with the T.S Dispatcher! If your wanting to have a go at scenario creation, then go for it!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I've put up a few, four of my own and four of other people's that I've fixed to make work properly. It has been quite the educational process and I agree the videos by Matt are pure gold.

I certainly agree with the advice to start small, ironing out problems can be quite challenging.

Building them is lots of fun and even one or two positive comments mean you've made someone happy and that makes me happy :). I would build them anyway for me to play.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  5. ghall59

ghall59 Active Member

Hi Trainbraint,

A little late to this thread, I'm back from TSW2 as the scenario editor is brilliant for TS Classic, the other one leaves me a little cold.

Something I do is get a rough idea in my mind what I would like to do. After that create a free roam scenario and place rolling stock around which I'm thinking of using. Drive the rolling stock into the various sidings I'm going to use to see what fits and so on. With the free roam scenario I will play with all the assets, practice placing them and moving them about (line side track workers, vehicles and so on...)

Next I will set the player train exactly how I want. Drive this the whole trip noting down the stopping/passing times with pen and paper. This will help when you are trying to place AI traffic later on.

Also when you are driving take note of what you see from the cab. This way you know where to place any static consists, there's no need to load every siding if you're not going to see them. A method I use is to stagger consists on the first two or three sidings of a big yard, this way it hides all the empty tracks.

It will be a frustrating trip until you get a bit of practice but it can be rewarding.

Oh one other thing, I never use that VCR playback thing at the bottom, if you play forward and get out without rewinding your scenario will be saved in that state....ruined.

Just be patient, it won't all come at once.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  6. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

I’m in a pretty similar situation to Trainbraint … off my 300 hours of play I reckon 75% in spent creating and testing scenarios. I like linking them to create a full service … ie Glasgow to London. Plymouth to Paddington etc.

As others have commented, the train dispatcher has a mind of its own and can do very odd things!

My tips would be create scenarios in stages and save versions once they have been tested and got thing working correctly. This way you can go back if things suddenly fall down.

Version 1 … set up base information (weather / time / text set up etc).
    V2 .. player driving route (test and drive the route with no AI)
    V3 .. Departure AI … services you see when departing
    V4 .. Ai Stages … split the route into 3 or 4 locations, in approx 20 drivable minutes sections and place the AI
    V5 .. Arrival AI at the end of the scenario
    V6 .. add static AI in sidings only

Other tips:
    1) place Ai before signals (never across signals)
    2) name the ai based on where you put them … ie Euston Slow North 01.
    This also allows you to change the AI services when you buy obtain more stock or want to run different eras.
    3) Always run AI to portals so they disappear and don’t get in the way!
    4) Don’t spend to long problem solving… it’s probably not your fault!

I spent 2 long evenings trying to get a APT player service to go non stop through Stafford (Trent Valley dlc) on the up fast, but every time when the scenario ran it would divert into the station … even though dispatcher was showing a red line going on the correct way and not into the platform.

On the 3rd evening … I ended up starting a creating a brand new scenario with exactly the same info and it worked first time!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. paul.pavlinovich

trainbraint My stream this morning was about TS scenario building and was an end to end work package of how I set things up and add more traffic and testing testing testing finalising with publishing on Steam Workshop. It was a fairly simple but lively scenario so if you're curious please take a look. Please let me know if its useful for you. If there is anything else you'd like to see please let me know.

8. trainbraint

Thanks, but unfortunately the video you linked is unavailable. Perhaps try resending it?

9. paul.pavlinovich

My apologies trainbraint the link above will work now, the metadata was slightly wrong on YouTube.

Paul

10. trainbraint

Great stuff, works now, I’ll have a look when I get time

• Like Like x 1
  11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Regarding the Video
    If you place a Driver Icon on any traction unit you will be able to see which way is Forward
    That way you don't have to go looking for a Driver figure in the cab

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. ghall59

ghall59 Active Member

Well I'll be a plucked chicken 749006, I never twigged you could tell the driver's end from the icon, learn something every day....

• Like Like x 1
  13. paul.pavlinovich

Oh awesome, thanks for the tip! Very helpful :). That will save loads of time.