Scenario Planner - How To Set Up A Cross On Single Line?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by paul.pavlinovich, Feb 22, 2021.

1. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I see in Scenario Planner you can set things up to run to time table, but what I don't see is a way to set up a cross on single line running - e.g. I want train A to arrive at place X and wait until train B arrives at place X from the opposite direction then train A can depart. Obviously Place X needs to be set up with a crossing loop.

I realise you can fudge this with times, but if you are running late (and since the game calculates the most optimum possible timetable you are always late) then A will depart before B gets there setting up for a cornfield meet.

I also don't see a way to force the points/switch/junctions/whatever you want to call them to set where the train should go except to set a stopping point - I'm guessing this happens automatically.

Paul

2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I tried to set up a scenario on West Somerset route with one train setting off from either end. I couldn’t even get to the first crossover station because the AI train (that set off from the other end 5 minutes after me) had been routed all the way through from very early on. I got stuck at a red signal before the first passing station and then about 40 minutes later, the AI train came head to head with me after getting through all three crossing stations unimpeded. I’d left it running to see what would happen.

So I couldn’t even do it with times. I had expected to pass at the station half way along the route but I gave up after what had happened on the first try. Hopefully they will add priorities or wait times to the scenario planner in the next version.

• Like Like x 1
  3. paul.pavlinovich

Thanks for responding stujoy that certainly reflects my experience. I haven't tried in TSW2 but there is a way you make it look like its happening in TS2021. Route AI train to the mid point as its final destination then you should be able to head there too. I'll give that a try tonight in TSW2 and see what happens.

It is a bit frustrating to see what can be done using behind the scenes methods given the complexity you see in the built in scenarios. I'm looking forward to the second version of scenario planner in TSW2.

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That would be a good workaround. I was just trying it out as a starting point for a busier scenario, so I could still do that if I also start one in the middle to end at the first crossing point too. I’ll give it a go.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I did not try it, but the first train you enter gets the highest priority. This may spoil the fun, so if you want another train to get priority, put the service on track first. Make sure the starting point is near the station where you want to give it priority and set the timing correctly.

Clearly, this is not something you can do with a huge amount of traffic, but I may have missed it. I am not so fond of the present scenario planner that I use it a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  6. paul.pavlinovich

Thanks Rudolf I really hope scenario planner v2 is a bit more like what is available in TS2021 - I know we won't get the route builder bits of it, but there is so much more you can do with scenario planner there.

Paul

7. paul.pavlinovich

I tried a cross scenario on Isle of Wight tonight and if I kept the path about similar for both trains it correctly picked the crossing point and the AI train was dutifully waiting for me at the crossing point. Both trains (one from Shanklin and the other from Smallbrook) were set to depart at 12 and both had roughly the same travel to get to the Sandown meeting point so it worked. Next I got adventurous. I added a third train leaving from the pier also at 12 and made that the player. Wondering what would happen, I got nearly all the way to Smallbrook before I got stopped at signal WFP28. The other south bound train was trundling along towards its meet. It seems like the dispatcher has decided my train has to wait until the train coming from Shanklin reaches Smallbook and we cross there where the double track starts. So in this case the AI train got priority. It would be much more playable if the player train got priority and the other train waited at Sandown for me to get there. AI's don't get bored :). Of course you could force this readily enough by jiggling with the departure times but the dispatcher should always favour the player until we're given better control of what happens. The sad ending to this story is that eventually the other AI got to Smallbrook and we sat there in a stalemate wanting the same track even though it could go on the other one.

Another thing that would be useful is the portal concept form TS. It would be much cooler to make trains disappear when you've finished with them rather than filling up platforms so you can't go there.

Paul

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  8. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

As said, the first service you put on track has the highest priority. So, if you want the player train to go first, put it on track as the first one.It may be interesting to see if I can do something about it by reordering the trains in the scenario planner. ToolkitForTSW can edit scenarios, but I did not yet implement this function. This only works on PC I think, unless you know how to move scenarios fro PC to console and vice versa ...

• Like Like x 2
  9. paul.pavlinovich

I had not heard of ToolkitForTSW - I need to do some googling :). Thank you Rudolf

I headed back to TS2021 to make scenarios since you have so many more options and probably won't bother all that much with TSW2 until it gets the second generation scenario editor.

Paul