Scenario Planner Suggested Improvements Thread

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by rick.mcfc, Aug 20, 2020.

1. rick.mcfc

rick.mcfc Member

Hi all,

I figured rather than jumping on the band wagon and slating the Scenario Planner, it would be better for us to provide some constructive feedback and create a list of proposed improvements for DTG to consider. Afterall, this is what Matt and Sam have been asking for throughout the build up to launch.

This thread could be the go-to place for scenario planner suggestions, rather than multiple threads across the forum.

So, to kick it off, here’s a few from me:
    • Ability to start and finish a train at more place, especially in sidings or depots. This could be done by either adding many more start and finish points on the menu, or by allowing the player to drop a pin on the map at a certain position. If signal positions could be added to the map, this would allow the player to drop a pin at on the approach to a signal so that the game instantly recognised where the train is
    • Rather than limiting a scenario to A to B only, allow a group of scenarios to be batched together to allow one larger scenario to be created. This would mean the player wouldn’t have to manually start each scenario after the previous on finishes. This would be very useful in creating return journey scenarios or freight workings involving running round, shunting etc
    • Allow the player to add an introductory message or instructions to the scenario, as is possible is TS2020. This could be to provide info on the service and the requirements of scenario on the player
    • If the technology allows, allow the community to submit scenarios to a dedicated DTG Staff member, say once a month, for them to vet then compile into a scenario pack. This could then be made available for the community to download either for free or a small charge. For example, a player could download a pack of 10 community scenarios for East Coastway or NTP etc. If the batches were realised fairly regularly it would provide much more variety to the players. Note: the above is probably already possible on PC unofficially, but not on console. DTG could help here by compiling community scenarios then making available on the console stores.
    That’ll do from me so far. Over to you...

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  2. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

I totally agree. That last bullet point is an interesting idea! I really want to be able to create switching scenarios. That is my favorite part about railroading. It can be challenging and there is a lot more to it than just put the train under power and watch the scenery go by.

3. Rush

Rush Member

To your first point I’ve had that same thought as well. I think the in-game map for each route should be used instead for the planner so you can drop a pin or waypoint on a specific track/siding In addition to having preset locations to choose from a list. This would allow for much more interesting scenarios and would work better for both passenger AND freight services. Right now the planner seems like it’s meant more for passenger services.

• Like Like x 2