Scenario Planner Ui Needs A Complete Rework

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Mikey_9835, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Mikey_9835

Mikey_9835 Well-Known Member

This is a topic we had on Discord regarding the Scenario Planner and how counter Intuitive it's UI is. For example why is the "Off the Rails" button hidden in a menu? Or why can't I see what Platform goes where?

I thought I would make a list of features that would make the system more intuitive so that hopefully someone at DTG will see this.

So here is what I would include:

-Make "Off the Rails" tied to the loco selection screen so you can press a single button to filter the realistic trains from the bizarre ones, and so that you won't miss it.

-Include a Search Bar to look for a train instead of scrolling through hundreds of locos.

-Tell the player where a selected starting point takes you whilst hovering over the selection so it's clear that Platform 4 will take you to Paddington, but Platform 6 will take you Brighton. A map that shows direction will also aid this. At the moment it's guesswork where a Platform will take you until you click on it, unless you have the route knowledge.

-Include a weather editor. Really perplexed why this isn't their already but it needs to be added.

-Make it possible to have AI trains start before your train.

-Remove the profanity filter. Because one it's a single player game, and two you can't name your train Class 37 because "ass" is in it.

Those were my suggestions, feel free to add your own in the comments below but keep in mind this topic is more focused on the User Interface as opposed to the technical side of the Scenario Planner.

• Like Like x 3
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I agree that is a very clunky mess of a UI. I don’t have many specific things to add to your suggestions.

I’d like to actually preview a path (and even trains already placed) on the actual 2D map of the route while I’m making a scenario. Platform 4 means little if you can’t see where that is. It’s going to be even more important if sidings, loops, portals etc. become common on paths.

Also, choosing from an alphabetical list for something that already has a set order such as stations on a route is not very intuitive. So that definitely needs to change to start from one end and go geographically along the route.

• Like Like x 2
  3. mg05stewc

mg05stewc New Member

there is a lot of functionality issues, I agree with all above. the issues I have is the map and the "search" bar don't have any helpful functionality. no names of stations. also i'm struggling with a lack of start and finish markers, why cant the game program a route instead of them being locked in!! like on Peninsula Corridor you have to take the passing loops at stations even if your not stopping!! also if you go back once from the train selector and the whole service needs rescheduled.

it would be nice to be able to use more of the assets like being able to bring a train in from the depot before operating it down line//return services. this would need the last stop to not just be hitting the marker and getting a complete screen i got pax to drop off!!!

I am using PS4 but it still should not be this difficult to get to work smoother.

• Like Like x 1