Discussion in 'Creation Centre' started by DTG Protagonist, Aug 21, 2020.
What extra functionality would go great in the Scenario Planner?
Consist editor,loading in the trains regardless of the spawn marker, add more parts of the yard,weather & static consist.Also let us be free & not limit us.Also since traffic is bad in the game can we just spawn in so we can railfan
Portals must be made available so AI trains can be directed to them to remove them from the scenario instead of waiting around forever at stations..
The ability to add static consists in a yard (surely a tick box can used to indicate whether this will be a static consist with no AI Pathway).
The ability for a light locomotive to start in a station and then go anywhere on the map. ie Paths must allow for loco to even use sidings or yards even though that path its on doesen't with passenger services. ie Brighton Platform 8 - Newhaven Sidings #2, this cannot be used as there is no path for it. As passenger trains from Brighton do not call at Newhaven sidings.
The ability for light locomotives to start in Depots. Regardless of what route its on.
For example the ability for say a class 66 with freight to start on the upline in the Reading triangle area (under the flyover) on the GWE route. More pathways must be made available for locos / trains to use lines that would be used in normal operation ie sidings and yards.
Will add more later.
Be able to add Go Via or Stop Intructions also be able to change the weather. Also more freedom on where you can path trains to and from.
I find the paths (or the lack thereof) to be very restrictive if one wants to create a really busy scenario. It would be better if each platform in a station had a path attached to it. In the future, a solution without pre-set paths would be the best obviously.
Consist Editor, Weather, More of the yard etc
The ability to go back and forth along a line, and something that tells us what platform will take us in a certain direction.
For me the following (I'm aware this is a rather long and complex list, however I believe that aiming for something ambitious is important. No ambition means the game gets no better.)
Firstly, my number one request above all others:
> The ability to use portals, and set up a regular timed service between portals. For example on HRR, being able to set up an AI service every 15 minutes from one end to the other. This would mean that we can really easy set up AI clutter in a matter of minutes (select start portal, end portal, stops, and repeat x minutes (between 5 and 60).
My second most important request:
> A consist manager. At the moment we have a pretty poor selection of consists, and unfortunately I don't see this changing in the near future. If we can add our own, it'll save you work in the long term...
Then, the next few requests I class as important to developing scenarios, in no particular order:
> Being able to set dwell times and stop times on the player service. This isn't so important for AI, but for the player service having a proper timetable would increase immersion.
> Being able to do multiple moves. So from point A to B to A again. This would allow you to drive an ECS and then bring the train into service. At the moment this would have to be done as in multiple scenarios, and doesn't give you the ability to change ends etc.
> More flexible paths. Being able to select any two points for a path. This means you could have multiple trains starting at Brighton going towards Eastbourne.
> Ability to attach and detach. Having a 8 car 377 that splits along route etc. It'll also allow shunting scenarios (like for the unloved DB BR 204).
> Weather. Being able to adjust this so that we can have a rainy or sunny day etc.
> Being able to share scenarios. At the moment if you create a scenario it can't be shared (on console at least), this is pretty sad given the amount of effort to make a decent one.
The not so important things, but would be nice (also in no particular order):
> Having the option for the train name / description to use a default of (xx:xx service from Station A to Station B). Whoever came up with the current system has obviously not tried typing on a console controller).
> Being able to clutter sidings with random stock.
The ultimate goal for me would be something flexible enough to create your own timetable mode. Where you can rock up and drive any timetabled train. This would be especially good for routes like LIRR where the supplied timetable mode is abysmal.
I'll probably have more to add in the future.
Also, an open note to DTG. If you're ever after someone to test or try out a new timetable feature, I'd be more than happy to help, as I have plenty of experience...
Being able to place trains anywhere on the map and not need to have them go anywhere. You could have a train (as they appear on the map now) and place it on the map where you would like it start/to be. That way you could fill up the depots or spare sidings etc to make the map more populated.
The ability to create switching scenarios! Not just from point A to point B.
Edit: More options on where to start/stop.
There's some good suggestions coming in here. I thought it was just me wanting Portals but hell yeah keep em coming
The scenario editor has so much potential and I have been able to do some fun things with it so far. Having more options for us is an all around positive thing for everyone. Here are some suggestions that would improve it a lot.
1. Having more control on where you can place trains. This is the really big one for me personally. On Sandpatch I was able to place a GP-38 with 40 hoppers on the one Cumberland yard markers and set it to a passenger service and set the departure time to 4:30 I was able to place a MP15 on the other marker in Cumberland yard and set it as a player service for 12:00. This created a scenario that would allow some freight hauling and switching on Sandpatch. Being able to have more control over which track your placing consists would make this so much easier, and would let me get a lot more creative. Sadly I feel using the same 2d map from in game with the same markers for this task would be hard. 2. Being able to create consists by each individual locomotive/wagons. Using the MP15 as an example again, I wanted to haul freight up Sandpatch, you can only select the MP15 as a single unit. You can’t have wagons or passenger cars. These are just two things that I think would add a lot of enjoyment and creativity in the scenario editor for everyone.
[QUOTE = "DTG-Protagonist, Beitrag: 162811, Mitglied: 18967"] Welche zusätzlichen Funktionen würden im Szenarioplaner großartig sein? [/ QUOTE]
Möglicherweise dass man zb mehrere Züge von der BR 425 zeigt kann. Momentan geht das nur bei dem Talent 2 aber im normalen Spiel fahren BR 425 er mit 2 zusammenhöngenden Zügen. Wäre cool wenn man vielleicht die Züge individuel zusammenbauen kann. Heißt zb mal 1 zwischenstück und beim anderen zb 3
The ability to use every platform at a station.
- I would really like to not be limited to where a train can stop. Currently being limited to only stopping at platforms where the train can 'fit' is slightly annoying. Especially if I'm using 'Off the Rails', I surely it shouldn't be limited? Even in real life you get trains that are longer than the platform, and you just have to move forward a few carriages, so if possible, it would be really nice to have that ability in-game.
Either that or be able to change the length of the train so that It could fit in a small platforms. For example, I could use a reduced carriage version of the ICE on East Coastway and do a stopping service to Seaford.
Thanks in advance!
Although it says that the maximum train length is the length of the shortest platform, as long as your train fits in your starting platform it does not have to fit on intermediate platforms on Off the Rails Mode. For example, if you start from Brighton on East Coastway you can have a train 240m long and you can still stop at Southease even though it only has an 80m platform.
For me: to create your own paths for example using the 2D map. Store the paths with a name and than use it in the planner. The planner does give me to pick a path (RE1 and RE9) already when select a startmarker. This could allow us to use all the tracks ect.
second: be able to spawn earlier Then the player train. Now the trainservice starts at 12:00 en should depart but I like to setup the train first, so i have a delay almost Every trip.
DTG Protagonist TrainSim-Matt
Could we have a timetable mode please?
So you can stick to an actual schedule, and enter your own times etc?
Maybe you have a train booked to stand a few minutes. In other words basically what we have now in Timetable/Service Mode but they ability to create your own!
Secondly, the ability to enter off times the rather xx:00, xx:05 etc. And have eg: A start time of 12:43.
Thanks for listening!
Phil0808 - Please could you post in English only. I know it's an inconvenience, but thank you.
Top three things for me:
1. Ability to use all platforms at stations. Why are Platforms 1 and 2 at Lewes in East Coastway unusable for start and end points for example? Only 1 platform is available at Eastbourne despite the station having 3. Brighton also has restricted platform use. There needs to be a much bigger range of paths to and from all platforms and sidings.
2. Reduce the service start times to 1 minute increments rather than 5.
3. Weather should be editable. If we can choose whether in timetable mode then why not scenario planner? That makes no sense.
To be honest, the Scenario Editor as of the current release is much worse than quick drive in TS2020 and I was very disappointed by its (terrible) functionality. Your ultimate goal for this time should be to achieve at least TS2020 scenario editor functionality (list bellow). I do not understand why did you release this version of scenario editor. You wrote the code almost from scratch and had plenty of time for compatibility with the engine.
Here is the list:
Weather & seasons - like wth is there only 1 day in a year?
Recode the whole "path" scenario editor with Point A to point B ( to point C ...) scenario editor with train priorities (TS2020 feature) (Dijkstra's algorithm..)
If you arent able for any reason do a proper "point" scenario editor (select each station and route individually), the least you can do is to make the paths usable for actual scenarios. What is the point of creating ICE when it takes you to RE platforms??? Why does Koeln HBF only have around 4 platforms usable???????
Names of the stations should be visible on map for better orientation. Search is not working.
Consist editor (why isnt this even a thing, TS2020 feature)
Portals (TS2020 feature)
When setting the starting time of a service allow us to type the time in a text window or something. If I want a night scenario, I dont want to be clicking billion times just to set the start time. (You cant even hold) and why 5 minutes increments? Are the trains in your country going only on every fifth minute in hour? I think not.
Timetables (TS 2020 feature)
- Related to timetables -> times spent loading passengers in stations
Lots of other features and quality of life improvements, that should have been on this list in the first place, because the 9 points above are really basic and crucial features that should have been in the current version.
Of course Steam workshop implementation.
If you do not plan to improve scenario editor, at least allow us to edit Service mode times & numbers of trains etc...
If you do not plan to improve service mode, at least include close to being real number of services on newly released routes, because the current ones are quite dead.
Thank you for your work, but you could do much better.
Edit: I only created my forum account now for this feedback, so you can be sure its meant as very serious feedback.
Yeah the editor is pretty much a mess,You are limited also which is very annoying
Yes, the option to change the weather/season would be great, as it gives you a lot more variety and depth.
I haven't played around with it too much, but I would like to see:
* Ability to set the weather in the scenario
* Labels on the map or ability to click the points on the map when adding start and end points. At the moment, you can only select the points from the list on the left but it gives no indication where that point is until you select it. If there are alot of points this becomes a chore to find the one you need
* A graphic of the loco from the loco select screen rather than just a list
* A prompt forcing you to select a formation when creating an AI service. Currently it is quite easy to create an AI service with no train to drive if you dont click the formation as well (It will let you create the service anyway but it won't appear in the scenario)
* Ability to create portals for AI to drive in and out of.
* If an AI service is created to start before the player service does, the AI service does not go anywhere (This happened in Sam's stream this morning). Allowing you to create portals as above would alleviate this issue.
The easiest way to make the scenario planner much more interesting is to allow paths and platforms which are not available or not heavily used in timetable mode in order to increase variety. There is no point in giving the same or fewer amount of paths than what we get in timetable mode as then we might as well just play timetable mode. There needs to be stuff we can do in the scenario planner that rarely or doesn’t get used at all in timetable mode.
Platforms 4-8 at Brighton, all the platforms at Lewes and Eastbourne and platforms 1 and 4 at Queens Park would be a good start and immediately increase gameplay opportunities.
I think this is what he said....
"Possibly that you can show several trains from the BR 425, for example. At the moment this is only possible with the Talent 2, but in the normal game BR 425 he drives with 2 connected trains. Would be cool if you could maybe assemble the trains individually. For example, it means 1 connector and 3 for the other"
The ability to spawn AI trains from Portals and into Portals For example if its a passenger train it gets to say Foln then drops off the passengers then runs to the portal out of the scenario.
Weather needs to be implemented
Choice of Start time in increments of 1 minute or better still where we can enter the start time manually
The choice of being able to send any consist into a yard or siding including depots.
static consists - yes its been said that the ai needs a start time but surely a tick box can be added as it is a static consist so the ai wont need a start time.
Which leads me to a consist creator. This could be a seperate app like Livery Creator and / Scenario creator in the tools section. Over time with the release of more dlc this area would fill with the amount of consists made available by the player / user.
Where possible stations must be accessed by most of the trains.
Timetables I dont think that will happen so I wont go with that. I will quite possbily add more later.
The ability to have the ability to choose more start/stop points such as specific yard or station tracks.
Ability to create switching scenarios.
An official way to share created scenarios with others.
I would see a function on Bakerloo line to "ride the yellows" , better described as a AI-train just in front of you....
And the ability to drive on the "wrong line" as for an example a "westbound shunting scenario" turn around at Paddington...
But for that we need the "LIMIT OF SHUNT" signs placed in the tunnel...
I like the Scenario Planner as an idea, but it feels like it was designed by a programmer alone without any involvement from someone experienced in User Experience Design. The tool is not easily discoverable and feels incredibly clunky to use.
Some of the issues as I see them:
Scenario Designer could do with a much better place in the menu.
Right now it's hidden under an inconspicuous button labelled "Tools", I think it could be much more useful if the functionality would be integrated with the "Scenarios" section of the game. This could then list the in-box scenarios, user made ones, and a "Make your own" button.
Get rid of the overzealous word filter on the scenario name, it even triggers on the word California.
The information is presented in a visually unattractive way:
For example, all available trains are just dumped into one big list with no grouping or thumbnails representing them...
And locations are just listed alphabetically, rather than what would make sense geographically. Also, no grouping.
Also, why is this called "marker" which is a rather unfamiliar and technical term? My 2 cents, "location" would make more sense.
The service creation process feels counter intuitive.
You first have to draft a route, then select which train to run on it. As train length matters, you can end up defining a path which can't have all trains.
I'd have designed it the other way round: select a train first, then specify the route, so the game can disable stops which can't fully accommodate the train on the platform.
'Off the rails' is a separate setting buried in the scenario's details, rather than something you enable on the loco selection screen. Why?
The map seems to be there for visual gimmicky but isn't actually useful?
It doesn't have labels...
...and I can't click on it to select a location
Lack of a 'play now' button when you're done adding trains to your scenario, you have to go back into the scenario designer main menu and start it by double clicking on it?
When I first heard a "Scenario Planner" would be available in TSW2 I thought it was going to give you the ability to create Scenarios as we had known them in TSW2020 i.e. akin to Christmas Closure, Aggregate Industries or Drag Line on GWE. A Scenario as we knew it was to run a service performing multiple operations such as reversals, unloading, joining or leaving a consist/running round a train, being a "Thunderbird" loco and rescuing a train in trouble...
Personally I quite like the Aggregate Industries scenario on GWE and it was nice to see the (un)loading sequence incorporated in timetable mode on later routes. Taking Aggregate Industries as an example in Scenario Planner I had envisioned being able to start from Reading, stop and unload at a terminal enroute, continue to Acton Yard, runround my empty hoppers and then return back to Reading. Similarly with ECW I had hoped to be able to run a railtour covering the whole route as this is what enthusiast railtours do! Start from Brighton non-stop to Newhaven Harbour, then to Newhaven Marine and reverse, back to Newhaven Harbour, reverse and onward to Seaford, reverse and back to Lewes, reverse for a run to Eastbourne and possibly returning to Lewes and taking London line.
I wasn't expecting that I'd have to plan all the timetabled services I thought I'd just be able locate a path, input relevant timings and instructions for reversals etc. AND run my Special service amongst other timetabled services that exist in any given TSW gameplay session.
As it stands the Scenario Planner is like Cutting Closure on ECW - you drive a train into an Engineering Possession with other programmed trains entering or leaving the Possession, but there is none of the everyday operation of the railway going on 'in the background' as movements within the Engineering Possession are limited to those associated with the work being undertaken.
It's actually worse than that. The map doesn't even function correctly. Try HRR, and send a train one end to the other via Essen Steele. It shows up on the wrong side of the loop. This was an issue with the timetable selection on TSW that still hasn't been addressed.
Also, isn't a map without labels just a picture?
For me most important is consist editor. In CSX the longest train is 50 wagons. 50 wagons is considered in States a very short train.
Normally is a train 100 wagons or up to 200 wagons. I want to do this long trains in TSW2. With or without DPU.
I guess Dovetail don't want to do this long trains. Because then people complain about the frame rate.
(In Tsw1 the shorted the trains from 50 to 40 wagons to get better frame rate).
But I have a very good computer to run these long trains. And now I cant do it. But with Consist Editor I can do it.
Adding all the stations could be a good start..
Portals and all the other things already posted
Ability to have more control over the makeup of your train, not just picking what is there. Nearly all except light units don't fit in sidings on Sand Patch Grade. Meaning I get 2 full length AI trains, and then as many helper pairs I could possibly want!
Not having preset paths for trains
Having a notes box where you can put extra information like a Timetable or other guidance such as you will be following AI train 1001 etc.
This would then be accessible by the player at the start and by pressing the T key as is currently implemented. Having a tool to preview the scenario using the map. So you can troubleshoot. Rather than having to run it each time you make a change.
Also ability to set the destinations on the AI trains and numbers for stock like the LU 1972 stock
Basically all the has been said above but I'll point them out anyway:
* Portals for AI trains to start / end (disappear)
* Choose weather
* ability to define own paths (I want to create a shunting scenario but can't as I can't have a start / stop location in the same place)
* ability create own consists
* ability to place locos / wagons in different sidings etc
* ability to trigger events e.g brakes get applied to simulate a broken brake pipe, loco gets shutdown to simulate failure etc
* ability to create shunting tasks (move wagons / locos around etc)
* ability to define tasks where you change locomotive cabs for running trains back from locations
Personally I prefer the freight scenario simulations over passenger type ones.
a path into lewes Platforms 2 and 5 (again, there but unuseable), more paths in and around depots, passenger paths for SPG (to be used in Off the rails ect) and paths into BOTH London road and Brighton Depots, passenger paths from lewes platforms 1, 2 and 5 (otherwise no rail tour) and more platforms useable in eastbourne and brighton,
You should be able to start at any time not just every 5 min
All of that.
Wow, a lot of wishes here. I try to be modest. In order of importance, and my estimation of required effort.
1. I would like to see the ability to add a description to a scenario.
2. I would like to see the ability to add written instructions at the start of a scenario and at each stop. This would allow me to instruct the player to do certain setup or to perform some not officially supported actions. It also could be used as a very first primitive timetable implementation.
3. I would lake a better time setting button. You it is very time consuming if you want to set start time 3 hours earlier. The way it works for setting start time in exploration of food is working OK. Just hold the arrow and it moves fast enough.
4. We need far more start locations. Part of them may not have a path, but they would allow for static consists, just let the consist terminate at the start location.
5. I would like to have a downloadable list of all paths in a route. At the moment I spend a lot of time to find out what is possible. I created such a list (still very primitive) for ECL and it may look like the image included.
6. Last. Can we have consists without engine? Just to sheer up the tracks a bit.
I have a lot more wishes, but seems enough for the next three months.
I also like to give one comment. I think with the Scenario Planner, DTG is running into trouble for further development. The object model seems to simple. We definitely need a number of stop types in future, stop, go via, passenger pickup and some more. Also the pathing seems far to simple. In this way I think it will be hard to add far more locations and alternatives. My suggestion would be to define a path the a next nearby location, For instance, From Falmer, you vane paths to Lewes and Mousecombe. If you choose t go to Lewes, in Lewes you can choose between Southeas and Glyne, or maybe there is a shunting path than allows you to go back to Falmer.
Ability to use more platform's in the game. Such as Brighton , Lewes Eastbourne. And sidings
- option for the player to start earlier than the service start.
- Option to spawn in game without A player set loco.
- Trains to start later that don't block your path
- Point A to go via B to get to C. So Seaford via Lewes to Eastbourne. More complex operations.
-Ai locomotives to run properly when having lots set up correctly.
- allow access to a platform when a train departs. So 15:00 leaves Brighton opens up that platform.
- Train's to complete a service then set to start a later service.
(Also as a extra bonus option to join 2 services together for example a loco sets off from Brighton joins another loco at Lewes for Eastbourne. And the option to split them aswell so one you do a loco towards Brighton second loco terminates at lewes goes to sidings to start service later. OR second loco set for different destination such as Seaford).
So I have a few wishes already:
the double consists for the BR 422 and 425 are missing
option to set arrival and departure times for all the stops
the intervals for the arrival and departure times should be 1 minute or 30 seconds instead of 5 minutes
the ability to use portals for ai trains
paths for not so ai trains like for example the RE 8 and RB 27 for SKA should be available (and they should use the portals)
the previous point would not be necessary if we could create our own paths
the ability to set static consists in depots
working destination boards (don't have to be automatic, setting them manually would be even more useful I think) + the option to create our own PIS entries (for example S19 to Düren or ICE entries with the intermediate stops)
No idea if that has been mentioned, but a functional Cumberland station would be nice for scenarios using for example Caltrain stock
Firstly and importantly a scenario planner that works. The branch line in East Coastway doesn’t work, seaford to Brighton (no path and red signals ) .. hopefully that will get patched up soon! You should be able to access all pathways and platforms that the track and signals can be made. For example you should be able to depart Brighton platform 4 and go to Lewes platform 5. A.I portals that people are suggesting.. hopefully in the future it can be made where you can start light Engine at a depot and couple up to consist and then take it into a service. Also think their should be some kind of virtual simulator in the editor than shows you what the scenario you have created is gonna look like , for junctions, which trains get stopped at reds to let other services cross points.
jg2290 It's not just ECW that has issues. I've also come across several red signals of doom on HRR when using the scenario planner.
Scenario Planner is ok at the moment but I believe it is no where near it's full potential. Additionally, many features feel awkward and annoying at the moment. Here is a list of things I would like and things that should be fixed:
- Weather Customisation (At the moment its always Spring Clear)
- Consist Editor (The consist editor worked great on TS)
- Have a "Set All To Same Start Time". At the moment if you want your scenario to take place at 17:35, then you have to scroll from 12:00 to 17:35 (which takes a good 15 seconds) and then repeat this process for every train you add.
- Have A "Select All Stops". This just saves time instead of having to manually click all stops for a train Im creating.
- Currently stations are listed alphabetically. User should have the option to view them in geographical order.
- Add some sort of indication to show whether the platform is southbound/northbound etc.
- This issue is related to my last point. If I add a service, then choose Station Platform X, only to find out that the platform was northbound and I wanted southbound, then when I click back it takes me back all the way to the start. It should just take me back 1 step, not 3 steps.
- It doesnt support loading passengers
- AI trains don't have drivers at times
- Allow us to choose any time instead of intervals of 5 mins.
- Let us add description to our scenarios.
- Let us add text during scenarios. These could simply trigger after the previous instruction.
- More locations. In the Bakerloo Line you only have one option in Stonebridge Park Depot where in reality there is much more.
It does support loading passengers. Check "passenger service."
Separate names with a comma.