Scenario Planner Wishlist

Discussion in 'Creators Club' started by DTG Protagonist, Aug 21, 2020.

1. jackthom

jackthom Active Member

I’ve been trying to plan a scenario on the East Coastway where I could drive in the wake of an AI train to ride the yellows but failed to make it work so far. I would find it interesting to be slowed down a bit more on all of the routes, something the Planner should be able to do easily.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Maxxxxx

Maxxxxx Well-Known Member

Some points have probably already been mentioned but anyways,
    Features I'd like to see to make the planner less barebones than it currently is

1. Better Map Overlay.
    When creating a scenario you get confronted with the first unhandy feature/feature that needs improvement: The map. It's the same map that is used when selecting a service and while its perfectly suited for service selection, it is not for choosing paths and platforms you want to start from/end on.
    [​IMG]
    Instead of seeing the individual tracks, you see a single line representing where the line is going. As mentioned, this is more than unfitting for a scenario planner, where it's obligatory for you to see where each train is going and which path it's taking. However, that does not mean that there is a need to create a new one. The map currently used in-game, accessible under the '9' key does the job. It shows each track, train and even signals, so, overall, perfectly suited for a scenario planner.

2. Actual due times
    When creating a scenario, you only get to choose where you want to start from and where you want your train to end. However, there is no option to set due times. Without said due times, the scenarios feel casual, like there isn't a real challenge and without an actual purpose.

3. Scenario Intro Text
    In TSxx at the start of each scenario, you get a message made by the creator of it telling you details, or any additional information to make you feel immersed. While there is a generated message telling you what you're driving and where you're heading to when selecting a scenario (not even in-game), it is not as personal as TSxx's scenario method or TSW's (normal) scenario method. A user-generated, more personal and immersive, message would be highly appreciated.
    A text space like this'd be perfect.
    [​IMG]

4. Adjustable Weather

This one is pretty self explanatory. Just make it possible please.

4. Usable Portals

Portals are not usable in the scenario editor. A train can neither enter nor exit through one. This limits the creator by quite a bit as trains just spawn at their start point no matter what and cannot be changed. If portals were usable, one would be able to make the station feel more alive as trains would come in and not just stand there from the start or leave through one of the portals if the service ended on that station instead of just keep standing at the end station.

5. Adjustable waiting time
    Let players adjust how long trains are supposed to wait at a certain stop.

Of course, there are a lot more things that could be added, but these are, in my biased opinion, the most urgent ones.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 24
  3. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

The ability to have an AI Path on the GWE from Paddington - Westbourne Park for Underground trains. The line is there can the path be added?

Regards

Hentis

• Like Like x 3
  4. Gasdesh

Gasdesh Member

Ciao, mi scuso in primis per non aver scritto in inglese ma questo telefono non ha la funzione copia e incolla,tornando a noi,vorrei l'aggiunta dei simboli S-Bahn e DB,in più possibilità di mettere le linee subito,e quindi non fare quadrato quadrato e ecc....e poi la possibilita di mettere testi COMPLETI

5. Gasdesh

Gasdesh Member

La possibilità di partire e arrivare al deposito

• Like Like x 1
  6. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

Google Translate can't really make sense of this. What are you saying?

Most definitely yes.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. LeagueofN00bs

LeagueofN00bs New Member

Would be nice, if you could add the possibility for us out here to actually decide where the trains are going (e.g. define the tracks they are using). Right now, it feels like you can't really plan anything on yourself apart from what you want me to plan and that is NOT the idea of an editor in my eyes.

• Like Like x 6
  8. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

It's not an editor, there will not be an editor. It's a scenario planner.

9. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

From a couple of days with the scenario planner. My wishlist would probably be the following:
    Use of signal stops- not just be limited to platforms. Struggle to get freight at stations, and why should they have to start there anyway?
    The ability to send trains in/out of portals. Necessary for a V2 scenario planner.
    Static consists- as a prelude to further improvements ie collecting trains at the beginning of scenarios or free shunting.
    The ability to select or have a larger choice of wagons. ie when TVL drops we will have Steel coils, the Limestone and Coke hoppers plus the JNAs from ECW. If I was to choose any of these BR or EWS locos, I would hope to have the choice of any wagon in short or long rake, and have the option of starting in the sidings North of Darlington, at Saltburn, the Boulby junction, or the many sidings or branches that havent been used in TVL.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  10. Maxxxxx

Maxxxxx Well-Known Member

A warning when AI trains wont be able to leave the station or is delayed by a long amount of time because the path of it is somehow blocked would also be quite useful.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

So I would start with your train at Brighton. A shorter train that is suitable as a stopper placed 2 stations in front ie Falmer, but to make sure that you dont end up in a jam, Id send it down the Seaford branch and give you a clear run into Eastbourne. Stagger the trains coming in the opposite direction. Try a scenario with you and 1 ai service, then add another and test. Thats how you find out whats breaking your scenario.

• Like Like x 2
  12. jackthom

jackthom Active Member

I’ve tried that in a couple of slightly different ways Rob.

First I had a single AI train leaving Falmer 5 mins after I was set to leave Brighton. When the scenario was run the AI train didn’t set off at all and my train was permanently stopped by a red just out of Moulsecoomb, even though I don’t think the next sector was actually occupied.

Next I tried an AI train leaving London Road at the same time as I was setting off from Brighton. The AI train again stayed put and I never got clearance to leave Brighton.
    In each case the AI trains were set up for the alternate seaside destination to mine.

I’ve had no problems with scenarios where any number of AI trains were set up to pass mine in the opposite direction but failed miserably with ones travelling in front of me for part of my route.
    If anyone else can get this to work somehow I’ll be very happy to find out how it’s done.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  13. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Some suggestions for UI improvement:

When you create a new scenario, there is a popup form to enter the name of the scenario. When you create the scenario, there is an option Scenario Details. The only thing this does, is set the "Off the rails" mode.

My suggestion sis to combine them in one popup. It is very easy to forget to set Off the rails now. If you discover it when you select a consist, you have to go back all the way, loosing what you entered before. A good alternative would be to make this an option at the screen where you set the consist.
    20200826203158_1.jpg 20200826213517_1.jpg
    My second suggestion. In the Service editor part, there is a "Back" button. However, this button is not a back button, but it cancels all steps in creating a service. I would prefer a real back button, but otherwise, please rename it to Cancel

• Like Like x 2
  14. eire007

eire007 Active Member

With just one train on the track I have a red light which never goes green, so just working would help me out,
    I think if you have a red light you should be able to overwrite this by "contact controller" option in the game and you are able to proceed.

• Like Like x 3
  15. eire007

eire007 Active Member

Have the stations in the correct order as they are on the line instead of alphabetical.

• Like Like x 6
  16. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

The ability to use trains from other lines in timetable mode.

The ability to add instructions to the Scenario.

Allow the player to go back and forth along the line.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

As others have said, portals and the ability to do round trips would be great.

I'd like to be able to use all of the platforms that can be reached for all possible routes, for example, being able to use platforms 3-8 at Brighton for Seaford, Eastbourne or Lewes services. Not like now where Seaford services can only depart from platform 8.

I'd like a wider choice of consists, simple improvements such as being able to use 12 car 377s would be great.

The fixing of the maximum train length where it displays the maximum length of the train as the length of the shortest platform you call when it in fact let's you use trains longer than that. It should display it as the length of the platform you start at.

The ability to route trains into sidings that wouldn't normally be used in timetable mode, such as the sidings at Lewes.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

I would have liked to be able to put the timetable that I had partly written into the scenario planner, but the destinations and paths won’t match to those given in the game.

19. jackthom

jackthom Active Member

For anyone having trouble planning scenarios to and from Seaford ( permanent red signals ), there is some sort of problem with the pathing between Newhaven Town and Seaford.
    Custom Scenarios operating between Brighton and Newhaven Town seem to work OK.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  20. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

I’ve found the problem, hope Matt and Sam see this.

The platforms/pathing at Newhaven Harbour are wrong, the Seaford platform takes you to Brighton and vice-versa. I’ve just started a scenario, with myself and the game thinking I was on the Brighton platform, wrong I spawned wrong direction on the Seaford platform.

And that is why it’s impossible to create a Seaford-Brighton vice-versa Service because there’s no valid path.

• Like Like x 3
  21. Northerner

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. I realised that the platforms at Newhaven Harbour were the wrong way round but I didn't put two and two together.

22. jackthom

jackthom Active Member

Just to add that this “riding the yellows” custom scenario, two trains leaving Brighton with the same start time, Player train on platform 7 and AI on platform 8, now works OK as long as Newhaven Town is the terminus for the Seaford train.
    See the posts above with regard to pathing error through Newhaven Harbour.

23. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Is it possible to add consistent information to the consist list if a train is loaded or empty? Now I see at Sandpatch coal trains explicitly marked as loaded, others are not marked a s loaded, but loaded and again others are unloaded. You cannot see this before you try to play the service. it would even be better to have the option to set trains loaded or unloaded, like in TS2020.

24. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

In North America, only unit trains (trains with all one type of good, like coal trains) can be found completely empty or loaded. Mixed/manifest trains carry a mix of empty and loaded cars (with the rare exception).

25. Teza

Teza Member

Station names on map
    weather options
    zoom out option for map on consoles
    on picking a train show the train not just numbers so we know what we want
    alphabetical order for station would be nice
    let us pick the number of cars so we can make the train fit any station,
    more user friendly interface is a must..

• Like Like x 1
  26. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

27. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

The good peoples of this forum already brought up some fine points, I just wanted to elaborate a bit as well.

Consist/Formation Editor:
    Self explanatory. I want to be able to create consists (with/without locomotive), with options whether the cars are loaded or not.
    Track Selection/Precise Editing: When you guys announced Scenario Planner, I thought it would be like this - You are presented with
    the route map (actual in-game map, not the simplified one) and you can click on a place on the track to mark start/stop, edit paths, do couple to/decouple instructions.
    Changing Weather: Not for each particular scenario, as that would be limiting, but rather on the main Scenario Planner screen, have a button like "W" that brings up Weather Settings before you start playing.
    Quick Play: When you're planning a scenario, and you're looking at your list of service, there should be an option where if you press "P", you will do Quick Play which just loads up the scenario for you to play, instead of backing out onto the main Scenario Planner screen with the list of scenarios.
    Couple/Decouple Instructions: Ability to select sidings as stops with additional instructions like "Couple to" (choose formation) or "Decouple" - either whole formation or you select how many cars from end of consist or something.
    Clicking on Map to Select Stop - Instead of trying to figure out which actual stop is what dot on the map, how about just clicking on the dots to select the stop on the list? At least sort the stops by the order they appear on the route instead of alphabetically.
    Portals - Self explanatory.

As it stands, the Scenario Planner is an okay tool for people that want to do passenger services. For anyone wanting to do any sort of shunting or freight runs (and no, stop at place along the way and then continue does not suffice) it's pretty damn useless. Should be called Trip Planner not Scenario Planner.

• Like Like x 5
  28. Kim1087

Kim1087 Well-Known Member

I would like to be able to set the season and weather the same as in Timetable mode

• Like Like x 1
  29. RuB0N

RuB0N New Member

Be able to put images

30. deppalas

deppalas Member

After reading through a bunch of comments, I think the most usefull update would actually be custom paths that can be set by the user.
    Just like using the setRoute command with the console, setting a path from signal to signal, deciding on each station which signal to cross, and therefore which path would get set. Afterwards, you'll get the list to decide where to pick up passengers/freight. This would add the highest amount of freedom to the game.
    Of course, this is not the easiest way for the devs and the community, but it's an actual 'must have', I'm afraid.

• Like Like x 3
  31. Task

Task Well-Known Member

Another thing that would be very helpful is an option to import AI services from timetable mode.

• Like Like x 4
  32. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

After fiddling about with this tool, although having great fun, I would like to propose the option to create double or triple headed locomotive hauled consists and maybe even a mix of multple locomotives from your available stock being hauled dead by a single running locomotive. I speak specifically for UK routes.
    eg Class 66 hauling a dead load of various locomotives or a pair of 37s pulling a heavy load.
    Perhaps this is already planned, but if not, I hope it can be done.

• Like Like x 1
  33. itypesquid

itypesquid New Member

Custom formations

I think we should be able to have custom formations. Like when you add LIRR to TSW2 give us the option to put 2 cars if we wanted and up to 12 cars if we want. Also if we wanted to put a MP15DC with a MP36PH-3C that would be nice or even be able to carry Gallery Cars as cargo with a CSX train. These are just examples but I think it would be great on all trains.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Kim1087

Kim1087 Well-Known Member

I think being able to set up our own Custom formations would be good, imagine a GP38 pulling 10 Mk1 coaches or a Class 47 pulling some gallery cars, That would be fun

• Like Like x 1
  35. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

They can't couple though.

36. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

More paths is a MUST. Paths for different platforms in terminal stations, maybe some wrong rail ones too to simulate construction works, and also paths for freight slidings, portals, and slidings in general. A modder has already shown us that you can create paths almost anywhere, so it's time to unlock that feature for the rest of us.

Also, a way to customize where stop markers are. There are different stop markers for trains of different lengths, so maybe add further customization to each station like another setting telling us which stop marker and platform we're able to select. Scenario planner is a step in the right direction, but as of right now it is too limited for true creativity.

• Like Like x 5
  37. seth

seth New Member

When I first heard scenario planner, i was thinking I'd be able to put an MP15DC on CN: Oakville subdivision in one of the yards, have an AI train bring in a mixed freight manifest, break it down and take tankers to the stations and load them, bring the tankers back to the yard, put together a new manifest with cars placed around the yard, then move the manifest to a new track, uncouple and park on another track and have another AI loco couple to the manifest and set off. if you don't plan to bring it to a level that would allow that, I'd rather just have the option to put any loco into existing timetable services / scenarios.

• Like Like x 2
  38. Teza

Teza Member

Think there also needs some work on how the trains run and how some don't move ever from there stations
    and player being put in the wrong end of the train, not a good start as you a facing away from your next station and met with a red light that never changes. the name should be changed to journey or time table planner as there is no scenario just trains going from there to there and then they all stop, a scenario is something else.

• Like Like x 1
  39. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

I think the idea of premade consists and paths should simply be dropped completely:
    Let us create our own formations, and simply have some premade ones already dropped in there so that there is a starting point.
    Regarding paths, let us select a startpoint (ideally on a map with labels, or first select station/siding and then a point in that station/siding), set some via-points and finally set an end point. The selection between AI/player and passenger/freight train can stay as is

• Like Like x 4
  40. caspargray

caspargray Active Member

Can you focus on adding more paths before you focus on functionality. I don’t know how long it takes to add a path (anyone know?) but for example east coastway. We need a path from Lewis platform 1 to Eastbourne and vv, and also a path from Brighton station into the depot and vv. it can’t be that long a process and it would massively increase options. Please don’t focus on giving us paths that we already get loads of trains on with the timetable.

• Like Like x 5
  41. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

I agree. I really want to add the 1F** Eastbourne to Vic services which terminate at Lewes Platform 2.

• Like Like x 2
  42. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

After making some Scenarios I would like to have this features too:

- First of all, I am running on PS4 and most of the scenarios I made, after running it, and closing the game, when I tried to use TSW2 again, the game gets freeze! - You must delete the Scenario in order to can run TSW2 again

- The chance to have several services departing from the same place!
    Difference must be done by starting time!
    After a train departs from X position of the route, another train at a later time, might be start there too.
    Today there is the limitation of only one train can depart from one place, which limits the Scenario a lot
    Furthermore as there are no so many places already defined, the situation is more complicated!

-So trains might not be always on the track when starting the Scenario.
    It might appear at the starting time only!

- On Sand Patch, were you would like to have long freight trains, there are very limited places where this can be possible.
    Due to the length of most of the places are around 500 mts, so few trains can start from there

- Please include much more places where trains can start!

- Have the chance to define which track they use. I mean after defining start and end point, can define intermediate points where the trains goes trough. Changing switchs directions for example.

Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  43. tornado811

tornado811 Member

Scenario planner yard switching only task, switch cars, locomotives, and etc... that needs to be switched in the yard, like switching the Cumberland terminal, and also set up consists for trains, and being able to assign trains where they need to go, once the conditions for that train is ready. Also save your progress if you choose to do this if you want to come back to it later or anytime, until you delete the save.

44. Anthony Pecoraro

Have you tried "Cumberland Switchback" scenario? It's a free roam scenario within the yard.

45. Franck69

Franck69 Member

Non so se sia già stato detto. Ma la possibilità di dare la priorità ai convogli. Ad esempio se parto un regionale dalla stazione x alle 12, e alle 12.05 parto un intercity con priorità, voglio che il regionale, appena c'è la possibilità, venga inviato su una tangenziale per consentire il transito dell'intercity . Con questo sistema è possibile creare scenari più coinvolgenti che solo l'immaginazione del creatore può frenare.
    Inoltre, la possibilità di impostare limiti di velocità temporanei, ad esempio perché sono in corso lavori su un tratto specifico dal km xxx al km xxx. In questo modo non ci sarà mai uno scenario identico all'altro, intendo come percorso da intraprendere.

46. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

Hi everyone:

My personal wishlist is below, I'll structure it in a similar way to the roadmap, in 4 categories. I'll expand on it as I get more ideas.

Cheers.

Who thought these were good ideas!?!? (I consider these problems so severe, that I classify them as bugs and slip-ups in the development, not potential features.)
    • Inability to adjust time in a finer interval then 5 minutes. (You do know that keyboards exist for a reason?)
    • Inability to save progress while driving a custom scenario.
    • Inability to set weather.
    • Lack of portals (Consider the severity of this -> It's impossible to have a delayed service in front of one's train, because that delayed service will often occupy the exact final platform that your train should enter. Since the delayed train doesn't proceed to a portal, the player could not finish the scenario. This causes A LOT of headaches.)
    Very Important (High priority)
    • Availability of all platforms/sidings as starting points and end points.
    • More detailed minimap, in particular with all available tracks.
    • Custom consist builder -> I want to be able to glue a Talent 2 to a BR 425.
    • Custom routing of trains -> If i really want to I should be able to force an ICE over freight tracks.
    Important (Medium priority)
    • In-Game view while editing scenarios, in particular ability to place trains at an arbitrary position on the track -> E.g. I should be able to require a train to first enter Aachen from behind Aachen and then to proceed to Köln.
    • Timetable view, akin to TSXX.
    • Custom stop durations at platforms.
    • Custom instruction texts.
    • Coupling tasks.
    • Reversing tasks.
    Would be nice... (Eventually maybe this'd be nice)
    • Custom defective signals/signal aspects.
    • Custom speed limits.
    • Custom start conditions in train, for instance I want to be able to start a train with pantograph down. -> Also eventually including rolling start.
    • Custom train malfunctions -> For instance LZB defects, etc.
    • Custom displays on trains -> For instance custom LZB aspects, etc.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 9
  47. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Is there any possibility of allowing the decoupling of a 72 stock set at some point in the future. With Rivet Games Island Line soon arriving, I would like to be able to put a 2 or 3 car set, in a created livery, on the route, but 7 cars is far too long.

• Like Like x 1
  48. Anthony Pecoraro

You can save when driving a custom scenario, I've done it. And you technically can set the weather if you to timetable mode, set the weather, then go back to the scenario designer.

49. Northerner

In the roadmap, there is 'Expansion of Bakerloo Line train formation options in the Scenario Designer' in production. This could mean the ability to split the trains and have a four car set but, at the moment, the inner cab is non functional so that'd need some work. I'm pretty sure the inner cabs now only have shunting controls in real life anyway.

Edit: Sorry just watched the stream, it means that you will have the ability to have unloaded or loaded trains not the ability to split.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  50. pauldwest

pauldwest New Member

Used scenario planner only on the East Coastway so far. Would love to see:

- Player timetable to add more urgency/accuracy to the execution of the chosen service.
    - Control of weather. Defaults currently to the last played conditions.
    - Portals to remove trains from completion locations.
    - Fix bug where you have to open the doors on the same side as the starting location station/terminal along the whole route. e.g. If you start Brighton from platform 7 you have to open right hand doors to load passengers for the rest of the route regardless of side the platform is located at other stations.
    - Much greater flexibility of where to start and end, including yards.
    - Allow for a short delay to starting service. Prep train time.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2