Train Sim World 3 Scottish East Coast Main Line: Aberdeen To Dundee

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by TrainGeek08, Oct 13, 2022.

1. TrainGeek08

TrainGeek08 Well-Known Member

Race along the 58-mile scenic route with both modern and classic traction in Train Sim World 3: Scottish East Coast Main Line: Aberdeen to Dundee

Hello, I would like to suggest the Aberdeen to Dundee Line for Train Sim World 3 because of the scenic views offered along the line and it has great scenario potential (shown below) and also it is my local route :)

Stock included:
    [​IMG]
    The British Rail Class 158 'Express Sprinter'

[​IMG]
    The British Rail Class 170 'Turbostar'

[​IMG]
    The British Rail Class 43 HST 'Inter7City edition' (added bonus, it's on the suggested route somewhere, try guess where it is!!!)

Training: (In Training Center)
    Class 158 Introduction
    Class 170 Introduction
    Class 43 Inter7City Introduction

Training (On route itself)
    Single track running especially for Aberdeen Crossrail services terminating at Montrose and the reversal process

Scenarios:
    Angus Stopper: (Difficulty - 2)
    Drive a ScotRail Class 158 on a stopping service from Dundee to Arbroath and back in overcast conditions with some rain on the return run

Crazy Crowds: (Difficulty - 2)
    Cove Rangers is playing Dundee in the Scottish Championship, with large crowds expected to travel by train, drive a Class 43 Inter7City set with 5 coaches from Aberdeen to Dundee, calling only at intermediate stations along the way

Broken Barriers: (Difficulty - 4)
    The barriers at Carnoustie level crossing have failed meaning there is an emergency speed restriction of 10mph over the crossing, drive a Class 170 from Dundee to Aberdeen in foggy conditions keeping in mind the ESR at Carnoustie

Montrose Terminator: (Difficulty - 1)
    ScotRail have introduced a new service from Inverurie/Aberdeen to Montrose as part of the Aberdeen Crossrail project, start a Class 158 from cold at Clayhills depot, bring the train into Aberdeen then drive the first train of the day to Montrose, calling at all stations

Delayed Parliamentary: (Difficulty - 2)
    Drive a late-running Class 170 from Arbroath to Dundee calling at the three parliamentary stations along with Carnoustie, Monifieth and Broughty Ferry, but with an Inter7City HST behind, you don't want to delay it too much

Timetable: 2021 or 2022 working timetables

Services, DLC, Stations on Pages 2 & 3

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 15
  2. would be a nice route added i 2nd for this one

• Like Like x 4
  3. TrainGeek08

Page 2:

Services:
    1 tph to Edinburgh (except when LNER services run from Aberdeen)
    1 tph to Glasgow
    2 tph to Aberdeen (except when LNER services run to Aberdeen)
    1 tph to Arbroath
    1 tph to Dundee
    1 tph to Inverurie
    1 tph to Montrose

Layers (In)

SEHS 66 in DRS livery for two intermodal services to/from Aberdeen

Layers (Out)

Class 170 on any DLC which requires a Turbostar on it
    Class 158 on any DLC which requires a Cummins engined 158 on it
    Class 43 with sliding door Mk3s on a GWR DLC requiring Castle sets

Potential DLC:
    Class 800 'Azuma' (LNER)
    [​IMG]

Would operate 4tpd from Aberdeen to Dundee (London King's Cross/Leeds) and 4tpd to Aberdeen from Dundee (London King's Cross/Leeds)

Class 221 Voyager (CrossCountry)
    [​IMG]

Would operate 2tpd from Aberdeen to Dundee (Plymouth/Edinburgh) and 2tpd to Aberdeen from Dundee (Edinburgh/Plymouth)

Class 73 + Mark 5 Coaches (Caledonian Sleeper)

[​IMG]

Would operate 2 Sleeper services, 1 northbound, 1 southbound each day except Saturdays

Stations:
    Aberdeen

[​IMG]

Aberdeen railway station is the main railway station in Aberdeen, Scotland. It is the busiest railway station in Scotland north of the major cities of Glasgow and Edinburgh. It is located on Guild Street in the city centre, next to Union Square Shopping Centre.

The station is managed by ScotRail. Inter-city, regional, local and sleeper train services are provided to all parts of Great Britain by ScotRail, Caledonian Sleeper, CrossCountry and LNER. The station is the northern terminus of the Dundee-Aberdeen line and the southern terminus of the Aberdeen-Inverness line and is measured 241 miles 6 chains (388.0 km) from Carlisle via Perth.

Portlethen:
    [​IMG]

Portlethen railway station serves the town of Portlethen in Aberdeenshire, Scotland. It is sited 232 miles 59 chains (374.6 km) from Carlisle via Perth, and is between Stonehaven and Aberdeen, on the Dundee to Aberdeen line.

Stonehaven:

[​IMG]

Stonehaven railway station
    serves the town of Stonehaven in Aberdeenshire, Scotland. It is sited 224 miles 74 chains (362.0 kilometres) from Carlisle via Perth, on the Dundee to Aberdeen line, and is situated between Laurencekirk and Portlethen. There is a crossover at the southern end of the station, which can be used to facilitate trains turning back if the line towards Aberdeen is blocked.

Laurencekirk:
    [​IMG]

Laurencekirk railway station is a railway station serving the communities of Laurencekirk and The Mearns in Aberdeenshire, Scotland. The station was reopened on 18 May 2009 at a cost of £3 million. It is sited 210 miles 44 chains (338.8 km) from Carlisle, and is between Montrose and Stonehaven, on the Dundee to Aberdeen line. There is a crossover at the north end of the station, which can be used to facilitate trains turning back if the line south to Montrose is blocked.

Now we head into Angus...

Montrose:
    [​IMG]

Montrose railway station serves the town of Montrose in Angus Scotland. The station overlooks the Montrose Basin and is situated on the Dundee-Aberdeen line, 90 miles (144 km) north of Edinburgh Waverley, between Arbroath and Laurencekirk. There is a crossover at the north end of the station, which can be used to facilitate trains turning back if the line south to Arbroath is blocked.

Arbroath-Dundee on page 3

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  4. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

Really good and well thought through and detailed suggestion. I hope DTG see this.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TrainGeek08

Page 3:

Arbroath:
    My local station

[​IMG]

Arbroath railway station serves the town of Arbroath in Angus, Scotland. The station is 17 miles (27 km) east of Dundee on the line between Dundee and Aberdeen, between Carnoustie and Montrose. There are two crossovers at the north end of the station, which can be used to facilitate trains turning back if the line south to Carnoustie is blocked. ScotRail, who manage the station, provide most of the services, along with CrossCountry, LNER and Caledonian Sleeper.

Carnoustie:
    [​IMG]

Carnoustie railway station is a railway station which serves the town of Carnoustie, Angus, Scotland. It is sited 10 miles 33 chains (16.8 km) east of the former Dundee East station, on the Dundee to Aberdeen line, between Golf Street and Arbroath. There is a crossover at the south end of the station, which can be used to facilitate trains turning back if the line north to Arbroath is blocked. ScotRail manage the station and provide almost all services. Carnoustie station was refurbished by Galliford Try Rail prior to the 2007 Open Golf Championship which was held at the adjacent golf course.

Golf Street:
    [​IMG]

Golf Street railway station is located on Golf Street in Carnoustie, Angus, Scotland, and serves the town's central areas. It is sited 9 miles 70 chains (15.9 km) from the former Dundee East station, on the Dundee to Aberdeen line, between Barry Links and Carnoustie. ScotRail, who manage the station, operate all services. These are parliamentary though.

Barry Links:

[​IMG]

Barry Links railway station lies south of the village of Barry, west of Carnoustie in Angus, Scotland. It is sited 8 miles 67 chains (14.2 km) from the former Dundee East station, and is on the Dundee to Aberdeen line, between Monifieth and Golf Street. The station is managed by ScotRail, who provide all the services at the station. In 2016/17, Barry Links was the least used railway station in the UK with just 24 entries and exits. Like Golf Street, it has parliamentary services

Monifieth:
    [​IMG]

Monifieth railway station serves the town of Monifieth near Dundee, Scotland. It is sited 5miles 72 chains (9.5 kilometres) from the former Dundee East station, on the Dundee to Aberdeen line, between Balmossie and Barry Links. ScotRail, who manage the station, operate all services.

Balmossie:

[​IMG]

Balmossie railway station is a small railway station at the border between Dundee and Angus which serves the east of Broughty Ferry and the west of Monifieth. It is located 5 miles (8.0 kilometres) from the former Dundee East station, on the Dundee to Aberdeen line, between Broughty Ferry and Monifieth. ScotRail, who manage the station, operate all services. Like Golf Street and Barry Links, it has parliamentary services.

Broughty Ferry:

[​IMG]

Broughty Ferry railway station is a railway station serving the suburb of Broughty Ferry in Dundee, Scotland. It is sited 3 miles 38 chains (5.6 km) from the former Dundee East station, on the Dundee to Aberdeen line, between Dundee and Balmossie. It is the oldest railway station in Scotland which is still in operation.

Dundee:
    [​IMG]

Dundee railway station serves the city of Dundee on the east coast of Scotland. It is situated on the northern, non-electrified section of the East Coast Main Line, 59+1⁄4 miles (95.4 km) northeast of Edinburgh. Dundee is the tenth busiest station in Scotland. In January 2014, the former main station building was demolished to make way for a new building as part of the Dundee Waterfront Project which opened on 9 July 2018. Dundee railway station is where the Edinburgh-Dundee line meets the Glasgow-Dundee line, via Perth. It is also the start of the Dundee-Aberdeen line.

I hope you enjoyed this exhaustive suggestion, and hopefully in the future DTG might consider making this route

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  6. TrainGeek08

Thanks, I agree, I hope DTG makes this route at some point in the future ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. TSW Nathan

Yea, if would be a great route to have. How many miles is the route?

8. gwrfan#3416

gwrfan#3416 Well-Known Member

just checked and it's 58 miles

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. TrainGeek08

It is 65 miles long roughly, it says in the top sentence of the thread lol :D:D:D

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. TrainGeek08

My calculation must be out, thanks for clarifying gwrfan#3416 ;)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. TrainGeek08

I have edited the route mileage to say 58 miles as per gwrfan#3416's clarification

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. TSW Nathan

Okay, thanks

13. TSW Nathan

It's no too long for TSW3 then. Almost perfect size. Maybe even too short

14. TrainGeek08

I'd say the route length is perfect as well, there is scope for extensions to Edinburgh or Glasgow from Dundee or towards Inverness from Aberdeen which would boost route mileage up

• Like Like x 1
  15. gwrfan#3416

Dundee to edinburgh is around 36 miles for track so you can just add that and the current length of 58 miles to get 94 miles with the forth bridge. Also they can later make it set in the 1960s for diesel and steam action.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TrainGeek08

That would be brilliant, thrashing 47s across the Forth and Tay Bridges in the 1980s

17. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

Very good suggestion, it would be very nice to have another Scottish route especially on the ecml. I would love zooming at 100mph+ past the coast and through the picturesque Scottish scenery. I would buy this if it came out ngl.

• Like Like x 2
  18. TSW Nathan

Love the idea of the forth birdge but only modern day. If we are going to get another Scottish route then personally I'd want it to be modern

19. TrainGeek08

Agreed, I was replying to someone else's idea of diesel and steam traction, yeah I would love that but you can't beat modern day can you ;)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  20. TrainGeek08

Thanks, I would also buy this on day one if this came out for TSW ;)

• Like Like x 2
  21. TSW Nathan

Any Scottish route that comes out for TSW, I'm buying day one! :D

• Like Like x 1
  22. gwrfan#3416

Sorry I caused some confusion with my idea of the edinburgh to dundee line. It is not a dlc idea to be with steam or diesel. It will be apart of the base route set in the modern day. Sorry for the confusion fortunately a dlc can still be added to the route.

• Like Like x 1
  23. TrainGeek08

No bother, I understand where you were heading with Dundee to Edinburgh being added onto Aberdeen-Dundee, I thought you mentioned having it set with steam and diesel but if you did not, that's fine, I would love driving a HST onto the Forth and Tay Bridges on an IC7 service to Aberdeen/Inverness, maybe add a railtour layer with a 47 and stock from NTP to keep everyone happy ;)

• Like Like x 1
  24. TSW Nathan

Still though, you can't deny a sprinter. ;)
    Don't worry, all good. Still a great idea!

25. TrainGeek08

You can't deny a 158, even though as a single unit, they can get overcrowded if put on busy routes, 158s up here are becoming more common on express services alongside 170s and HSTs, in fact one just passed going to either Aberdeen from Glasgow (1A29) or Edinburgh from Inverness (1B70), see what I mean, it was a single unit too ;)

• Like Like x 1
  26. gwrfan#3416

I should of asked this when I first read this suggestion but are there any freight services on the route.

27. TrainGeek08

Yes, the SEHS 66 can layer in, albeit needing to be in DRS livery for two intermodals a day and you need a 70 in Colas Rail livery but that would need to come as DLC for chemical services between Aberdeen-Irvine/Oxwellmains/Workington (only drivable to/from Dundee though), maybe RHTT seasonal layer too ;);)

28. TSW Nathan

Did you say Irvine?! I live just one stop away from Irvine on the Ayshire Coast Line! I wondered where the freight trains went around there. Didn't know they went as far up as Aberdeen

29. TrainGeek08

Yes I said Irvine!!! Colas run a chemical train from Aberdeen Waterloo to Irvine Caledonian Paper, don't know how frequent like, but my guess is at least once a week, I'm sure they go along the ACL as well, any Colas freight you see on the ACL hauled by a 70, it might be bound for Aberdeen Waterloo, RTT (Realtime Trains) should help with identifying if the train is going to/coming from Aberdeen ;)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  30. TrainGeek08

31. gwrfan#3416

Would jubilee operated railtours up near Aberdeen as that would be good for layering.

32. TrainGeek08

Some railtours to Aberdeen are steam hauled but not by a Jubilee, instead by A1 Pacific 60163 Tornado, here it is passing last year: (it didn't run this year due to Tornado being unavailable)

These are seasonal (summer months only)

20210722_180002.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  33. TSW Nathan

34. TSW Nathan

In TSW 3 could the jubilee or the 8f layer into this route as a replacement for the A1?

35. TrainGeek08

No problem ;)

• Like Like x 1
  36. TrainGeek08

The Jubilee would make more sense to run on a railtour versus an 8F ;)

• Like Like x 1
  37. gwrfan#3416

If they added a railtour layering would the coaches be from a railtour or spot hire loco company or would they need licensing for that.

• Like Like x 1
  38. TrainGeek08

You could either use the Mk1s from SoS or otherwise licensing would be required from West Coast Railways for use of their Mk1s

• Like Like x 1
  39. TSW Nathan

It would be really cool to get WCR MK1 coaches!

40. TrainGeek08

I agree, would love a WCR liveried Mk1 coach :love:

• Like Like x 1
  41. gwrfan#3416

Maybe they could add a support coach just becuase.

42. TSW Nathan

Is a support coach like a gaurds coach?

43. TrainGeek08

They could actually, good idea :)

44. TrainGeek08

A support coach is normally the first coach behind the locomotive and goes everywhere the loco goes, don't know the purpose of them but yeah that's a support coach :)

45. TSW Nathan

Ah. I saw a Desil support coach trailing on the morning Jacobite Service on the WHL when I was in Mallaig. I wondered what it was for. Thanks! :)

46. TrainGeek08

They are normally behind steam locomotives but can be found behind diesel locos too, depending on the circumstances ;)

• Like Like x 1