Seeking Opinions On Controls -- Keyboard With Or Without Console Controller?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Calidore266, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Just gave the PC version a try after using the PS4 exclusively, and wow, does the keyboard feel odd, especially just moving around. (I might have had less trouble 20-some years ago when I was actually gaming on PC.)

So a question for PC users, especially those who have migrated from a console. What have you found to be the best control scheme for TSW2: diving headlong into just the keyboard controls or pairing up the console controller and using the keyboard to supplement that?

Also, is there a nicely formatted keyboard guide out there for printing?

2. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

I am a PC user and only use the keyboard. I tried using both, but there is an annoying stutter every time you use a key or button on the other device, so I considered it a failed experiment and decided to stick to the keyboard.
    I have to say that I very much prefer it as some controls on the xbox joystick are rather convoluted, brake handling just to name one. Then there's the pzb/sifa nightmare... How do console guys put up with it?

3. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

By using a keyboard :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. JZJ90

JZJ90 Active Member

I find myself using a combination of both, although with the new control scheme that came with 4.26 core update I find myself using the keyboard a lot less due to being able to do pretty much everything with the keyboard. Oh and for things like looking around or selecting things in cab I almost exclusively use the mouse over the controller joystick because it is just SO much easier and more precise to control.

5. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Leave everything as default, powers all together, brakes together etc. Best thing I did initially was change the colours on my keys, green for power, red for brake etc. Two hands on your keyboard unless your moving about and it’s a doddle after a while. I personally find controller going the other way was horrendous

6. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I’ve used both controller and raildriver in the past, but find I’ve gone back to keyboard and mouse.
    It’s just that bit more precise and flexible.
    I really hated the raildriver throttle. Sometimes it would jump one notch, the next time two or three.
    Meant subtle adjustment for slopes became erratic.
    Currently using bluetooth mx3’s and find them very responsive.

7. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I’m going to possibly infuriate some but from what I saw of raildriver it all looks a bit “fisher price toys” and flimsy. I know there’s not much competition but at least with flight yokes and wheels I feel a little more immersed.

upload_2021-10-25_21-4-13.jpeg

Nice idea but it needs some better looking design

• Like Like x 4
  8. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I've never played consoles, but the few times I held a controller I really couldn't make it work for me. Keyboard and mouse is what works best for me, but then I never really familiarized myself with antyhing else.

As keyboard have more buttons, and mouse a more precise movement, I don't see the benefit of using a controller. Not when you have access to a desk anyways. Perhaps if you're preferring sitting down on a couch, controller may offer some benefits there.

Also, I had assumed consoles would support connecting a keyboard and mouse. Didn't know you had to rely on a seperate PC version of the game.

Anyways, I always have my left hand on the ASWD buttons as with most games, although you'd rarely need the W and S on TSW, A and D are probably the most used keys. This also means you have easy access to the Q button for any alerts to acknowledge. My right hand often switches location, while driving it's usually near the ; and ' keys for the brakes, on station stops it uses the Y and U keys for door control, and obviously for movement and camera control it heads to the mouse :P

But hey, right hand on mouse and left hand on ASWD is probably the default for pretty much any PC gamer.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Thanks much for the replies!

If that Fisher Price keyboard had a USB port, it might be usable. People have beaten Dark Souls with Guitar Hero controllers, and even dance pads.

I agree keyboard/mouse is certainly better for precision. Part of it is laziness; looking at the number of keys and controls to memorize is making my brain wince. The mechanics mentioned by Purno right above were indeed my default too long, long ago. Maybe some muscle memory has stuck around.

10. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

No, not at all. It weighs about 11 - 12 lbs and is very sturdy. As we pointed out in another thread, many are 20 years old and still ticking over nicely.

Back on topic, I use RD exclusively, with a little help from mouse and keyboard, mainly for camera movements. It has its idiosyncrasies for sure, and needs some further support from DTG for TSW, but it will only get better as it moves out of beta and we can configure it more accurately.

11. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Raildriver & mouse for me, for the older locos which arent RailDriver supported then I go back to the keyboard but it doesnt feel as immersive. I played originally on Xbox1 but the controller is awful to use IMHO which is why I switched to PC