Should East Coastway Join To London Commuter

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Oct 3, 2021.

?
  1. Yes, I'd love to run straight through to the second route?

179 vote(s)
    72.5%
  2. No , not for me

11 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Indifferent

40 vote(s)
    16.2%
  4. Keep them separate

17 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

One of my theories is that the reason that two of the routes in Rush Hour use names that don’t name actual locations, one called “Boston sprinter” and “London commuter” might be to expand these routes in the future.

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

If save doesn't work then "broken up runs" are the answer. No need to have the longer runs if nobody runs them in one shot anyway
    The save feature is a core one, so it's broken everywhere. Seems to not retain the previously run position of the scheduler so signals etc are all out of whack

3. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

Given the repeated statements of DTG that there is little chance of route extensions, you might have more luck convincing them to develop a new route which has sufficient length (maybe at a premium price?) to allow more enjoyment of high speed trains - 20 to 30 minutes between two stations is nothing like reality. Take a look at WCML in the sister sim for a starting point (and even better if they included Northampton loop to allow realistic London Midland schedules)

• Like Like x 1
  4. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I agree with the above but at some point customer demand is noted .

5. Cleggsta

Cleggsta Member

I would absolutely love a real, working, inter connected rail network to play with! Id love to continue where one "map" ends and the next one begins. Maybe this could become a multi player game one day, across an entire network... Although I'd definitely be very happy to carry on in a single player game, with routes continuing on across multiple "maps".

Now, I'd happily pay a decent subscription each month to be able to access and play something like this - after all, DTG need to bring in the revenue to finance such a thing. Just point me where to sign up and buy my Rail Saver season ticket ❤️❤️❤️

6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Sorry, I completely disagree with a monthly subscription. N3V are pursuing this with Trainz. Either a one off purchase or I walk on by.

• Like Like x 4
  7. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I agree and they can do that as Southern Rail Network Pack BML & ECW via Wivelsfield & Brighton

8. ARuscoe

Very few trains actually do that journey, I think three in a 24 hour period.
    They would have to create the Wivelsfield loop for that to work properly

9. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

I am against it for now
    and i can just pretend it is joined anyway
    I rather see more fixes and enhancements of current routes
    such as fix scenery errors such as holes in the ground 2d trees that are to close to the train cab view
    fix sounds of the older routes
    improve performance of the game (Sherman hill needs fixing at certain spots)
    and all the other things that can be fixed

so maybe later

10. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

What I find interesting is while people say they want joined routes and longer runs, the sweet spot of what people actually ran in TSClassic was 45 minutes to an hour. In TSClassic, years ago, they had the capability of once scenario ending and launching the next scenario in the series to give you that connected sense, but the feature was dropped and if I recall correctly was not very stable. Also in TSClassic, they have some long routes and even some conjoined routes where you can have 2 hour and longer runs, but again most scenarios are designed for that sweet spot of an hour or so.

My point being, even when TSClassic provided what many here have requested for TSW, the majority did not utilize those features… there will always be some that do, but it seems the community at large does not have the time to dedicate to a 2 to 3 hour session consistently. Same with multiplayer for me, nothing against it, just would never use it. Have watch some good videos in Run8 where multiplayer runs were being made, interesting and I thought a good implementation, but just like Vatsim in flight simulators - spotty coverage for dispatchers, others not available when you are. Not against it, but definitely not something I would participate.

On the matter of a subscription service - sorry, but I am against that whole concept. I am old and hated when broadcast TV went to cable … and the idea of bottling water and selling it, we used to drink it free from the garden hoses. Seriously, I would drop the franchise like a hot potato if the only access was a subscription.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  11. ARuscoe

Obvious answer to that is "well the savegame feature doesn't work, so even if I only have an hour at a time, I still want to be ABLE to play an 8 hour long run"
    Obviously 8 1 hour runs is the same as 1 8 hour run split up but the argument can (and undoubtedly would) be made

Same as my ex wife wouldn't sit down to a 2 hour movie, but 4 half hour shows? Fine by her

12. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

Leadcatcher has it right - few users drive more than an hour or so. The real advantage of long routes is not end to end, but all the possibilities for flexibility in partial runs and alternative routing (as they exist in real life) - as I mentioned earlier - WCML London to Birmingham (or better Wolverhampton) with the Northampton loop would allow more realistic timetables and would stay in the 90 minute or so range. An idea - can one start a service part way along the route (perhaps via an adaptation of the spawning on foot), thereby avoiding the dreaded save?

• Like Like x 2
  13. chieflongshin

I think the longer routes are ok once the save issues can be sorted. I'm not a fan of bitty routes (not that bitty).
    I'd rather a 4 hour trek and save as needed but feel like I've been somewhere.

14. ARuscoe

It's four hours from Milford Haven to Hereford... four long hours and still the only places of note are Cardiff and Newport (ie 12 miles apart) unless you count Swansea (which many wouldn't)

The main issue with the argument of "well long routes are the best" is that many many good routes in the UK just don't run that long. FIne if you just want mainlines, but "green light specials" are something I want to avoid. Watching youtube as the "ping, ping, ping" goes by isn't what I class as interesting. Your mileage may vary

15. chieflongshin

I think it’s about keeping the blend of variety so sections of the route have something for all.

16. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Long routes work when there is gameplay to keep the player engaged.
    Until Save is fixed that's just not viable.
    How many of us get a straight three or four hours to play without some interruption?

As for subscriptions, I loathe them. Death by a thousand cuts.
    Adobe has lost me as a customer and my Apple ones are kept to the minimum.

• Like Like x 1
  17. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Well we don't take no for an answer there's a solution to every possibility ;) Hopeful. Yes I said it

18. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

In TS1 I regularly drive 2 hour scenarios, I probably would't want much longer than that. To me Euston to New Street is the ideal maximum length.

I think it would be nice to see longer routes in the future and I think we will. Back in 2010 no one would have expected a payware London to Birmingham route in TS1, freeware yes but not payware. The first Portsmouth Direct route started from Woking, years later they released a new version from Waterloo.

I suspect the same will happen with TSW.

Personally a route could be 10 miles or 100 miles, it is down to how interested in I am in the route and conent and how well executed it is that matters the most.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. jackrose1989

jackrose1989 Member

Why pay for something that can easily be implemented? Even by a quick load screen?

• Like Like x 1
  20. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Good point and an example of the merged ECW BML trip is the 1A96 Victoria Station to Seaford/Ore. You must separate the Ore section at Wivelsfield then you drive the front section which is 2C96 the 19:00 Lewes to Seaford trip 8 carriages. That service follows a Newhaven Marine trip from Brighton. At Seaford, 1A96/2C96 becomes the 2C59 Seaford to Brighton trip.

21. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

A ECW LC merge would need the line between Wivelsfield and Lewes, pray tell how would you implement that without paying for it?

• Like Like x 3
  22. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

Do we want it: Yes.
    Will it happen: Probably not.

TSW is one of those games that, without an editor (drama alert) solely relies on the dev. The reason games like TS Classic and Euro Truck Simulator 2 have lasted as long as they have IS because of user generated content. If dovetail made an editor when/if possible, then Dovetail would stop being bombarded with 'Merge This' or 'make that' or 'add this' because users can go to a Website like JustTrains and Download (and buy if needed) the route

• Like Like x 3