Should Rivet Stick To ‘assisting’ With Route Building?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Nov 8, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

56.0%
  2. No

29.5%
  3. Don’t know/other

15.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I always look askance at those who profess to know the exact physics of trains from reading and observation alone.
    Glaring errors should be obvious, but we car owners know the difference between reality and manufacturer’s specifications.
    That said I do know both Cornwall and trees so I’m happy to pontificate about that.

What is more difficult is judging how accurate a simulator is when I’m static staring at a flat screen.
    The degree of reality some members expect is beyond current capabilities.
    It’s all a question of granularity and our expectations.
    I’m happy with a distance semblance of train simming.

That said, too many bloody trees Rivet.

• Like Like x 3
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I will check the Ian Allan profile later but the main line AFAIR is not up to 1 in 51. Camborne station on the Rivet route has a 1.8% gradient through the platform something like 1 in 60. In the real world, there is a steep climb away from Truro on the Down but in the sim the gradient starts halfway down the platform.

Edit: The tiny print of the Ian Allan book makes it hard to read precisely without sending my eyes into a spasm. Camborne looks like it should be around 1 in 106 through the platforms. I concede there are a few stretches at 1 in 60 and one short bit at 1 in 55 but not through any stations. There are a number of rapidly changing gradients around Truro station but so far as I can tell the station limits are relatively level. Otherwise the Falmouth branch trains would be running along the bay platform on a severe falling gradient. In the real world, permissive working is prohibited into the bay, but that is because the line descends through Highertown Tunnel not the bay itself.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I certainly can't declare myself any sort of "expert" at the level apparently required for some of the more extreme nitpicking, but I do know the difference between diesel-electric and diesel-hydraulic.

• Like Like x 3
  4. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

So 'Trees' is a particular blind spot for you? lol.

5. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Rivet Games are generally very good at close scenery. When it comes to scenery, distant scenery is where the issues start. Very few TSW routes have good distant scenery, including Cathcart, which has bits that look horrible.

6. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

They havent shown any progress in understanding simugraph - they should be left to make train models and let people who actually know whjat theyre doing to work under the hood. They simply cannot or will not work it out.

• Like Like x 5
  7. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

This. How many more times will they ‘ruin’ DLCs before finally learning? The 150 and West Cornwall is already a write off in my opinion. God forbid if they make a train and/or route I’ve been looking forward to.

• Like Like x 4
  8. The 150 is one of my favorites and since it's already made (spoiled) by Rivet there's little chance that DTG will pick it up again...

• Like Like x 1
  9. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

Same. Really disappointed and annoyed with their physics and sounds