Should Think About A Re-introduction Of The Baldwin Centipede For Tsw2 And The Horseshoe Curve!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Gabe_1.0, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Gabe_1.0

Gabe_1.0 Well-Known Member

This one goes back a few years now. At the time in TS2020 was exciting because it had this really bizarre locomotive but not only that, it was all cold and dark with startup from 0 to hero basically. So let's revisit some basics...

The Baldwin Centipede was one of the more unusual and heavy diesel locomotives in US railroading history, and now you can drive this heavyweight around the Horseshoe Curve.

Arguably ahead of its time in terms of design, the Baldwin DR-12-8-1500/2 gained the ‘Centipede’ name from its odd wheel arrangement, so called as it was to have resembled the legs of a centipede. Given its heavy weight and numerous wheel sets, the Centipede offered the highest tractive power of any diesel locomotive in history.

In total, 54 units were produced and used in service by the Pennsylvania Railroad, Seaboard Air Line Railroad and National Railway of Mexico between 1945 and 1948. The Centipede was capable of operating independently or coupled in pairs, something the PRR successfully exploited to haul long passenger and freight trains across its network, including around the famous Horseshoe Curve.

However, the Centipede was beset with problems and by the 1950s most railroads had scrapped their fleet, due in part to their troublesome engines and the damage they caused to the track from their heavy weight.

------

So the startup procedure is interesting. First you have to connect the battery, next connect the fuel pump and wait until you get the right pressure which is 12psi. Then pull the start lever and off she goes! (it's probably not that simple tho) In TS2020 it wasn't much excitement after than point due to the fact that you didn't walk anywhere or anything fancy but in TSW2 (the upgraded version of TSW) will fill in thoes gaps. She sounds bad-ass when the engine comes on.

2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I do want HSC for TSW2. It's a great route.

3. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

Horseshoe Curve is a must for TSW2. I'd love a PRR 1940s-50s version with the Centipede (maybe a DLC), F7 A/B, and FM H-24-66 Trainmaster, Alco RSD15, or SD7/9 Cadillac. A Conrail version set in the 80s and 90s could be cool, too. If the route is set in the Conrail era, I'd suggest the SD80MAC, SD40-2 or SD45, and a Geep (maybe a GP35 or GP30). The NS modern version could include an NS ET44AC or SD80ACu, SD40-2, GP60, and Amtrak Genesis P42DC. We really need routes set in the 1940s-60s. I'd rather see HSC set in the PRR era.