Should Tsw3 Be For Pc/steam/epic Only?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Skyz2020, Feb 10, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

Completely agree with this post. Very new to PC gaming, but really enjoying thus far and not as expensive as first perceived

Marked as liked :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I meant specifically with regards to performance... Try running win98 on a 386 or Vista on an original pentium
    And not going anywhere near the original core processors with Windows 10 let alone 11!

Linux... not an issue because you can strip out almost everything back to the core (and the drivers are much more slimline) but not windows... Always written to break even the most up to date hardware ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

My PS5 is on the desk right next to the PS4 Pro it was bought to replace and the latter has been switched on maybe once or twice since the former arrived in August last year. Honest answer: It was worth every penny of the £360 and the experience on TSW2 has been a significant improvement over the Pro, which I was already running in 4K. I don't recall seeing anyone with a PS5 saying they regretted the upgrade.

I experienced some crashing on the Rush Hour routes when they first arrived, but spent a bit of time playing other games instead (I can heartily recommend Spiderman: Miles Morales, Astro's Playroom, Deathloop...) and that now seems to be largely taken care of; I've completed all of the Journey chapters on BML and haven't seen a crash for a while. The overall PS5 experience has been overwhelmingly positive.

I don't have every DLC (attached graph shows what's installed and what I've been playing since the switch to PS5 version), haven't bought any for a while and most of the recent American ones look so dull I can barely even make it through the trailers, so the cap hasn't been an issue for me so far. I suspect when I do reach a limit (maybe when Harlem arrives), there will be routes I can delete without regret to fit the new ones in - it would surprise me if the people insisting on having everything installed at once really use them all anyway. Managing DLC content is a breeze on PS5 too, so no need for lengthy reinstalls like on PS4.

The issue I'm least happy about is the lack of trophies on newer DLC, but I'm hopeful that will be resolved at some point. Until then, I'll simply play the routes I have and keep chipping my way towards the Platinum. Once GT7 arrives, my attention will be entirely diverted in that direction anyway, so they can take their time to get the issues sorted properly. :)

TSW Stats-2022-02.png

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Skyz2020

Thank you most informative and I hope your trophies are restored in due course

• Like Like x 1
  5. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

PC has Train Simulator. Let us have a train simulator too. If it was not for TSW2 I would never have known driving a train could be this interesting. I've said it another topic: I don't know the other train simulators, never tried one of them so I can't judge them but DTG must be doing something right that different sort of players want to claim TSW2 as a dedicated product for them. Hands of TSW2! The team seems to know what they are doing :D

To the OP: I understand your need. If it was up to me this game becomes a Playstation exclusive :love:

• Like Like x 4
  6. Skyz2020

Haha my friend I appreciate your comedic ending, bravo bravo :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. ARuscoe

Unfortunately TSC is written in an old version of DirectX which is not portable to the consoles... UE ran on them anyway so was less of an issue
    At some point the old DX will become totally unsupported by windows and maybe then TSC will die a death, but not quite yet

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Such a proposal is otherwise known as: "(beep) you!"

• Like Like x 4
  9. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I occasionally watch these PC building videos and for Sam to say you need a £1k PC is false imo they were doing it for much less and a PC can do more than just play games.

Consoles for their job, just to play games, they do it well in my house we have a PsPro which never gets switched on any more, a series S which is used rarely and a couple of Switches which are used all the time as well as the three PC's. What put me off the PSPro when Sony started to charge for internet gaming, don't see why I should pay twice. I also like modding, some games you can on consoles but not to the extent on the PC.

It is a shame how the 8th gen are getting treated and to some extent the 9th gen and hope they can resolve that but I can see some decisions being made by DTG that will be rightly viewed as unpopular. As far as windows goes, I have used every one going back to MS-DOS 3.1. I'm not the biggest fan, some versions have been good others not so good but overall, Meh! I've tried the linux route a couple of times but the game support isn't there for me but it is improving. I think you can get steam but not everygame works in linux steam, if they solve that I will change.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Ditto, Mac for home and work….why use anything else? And PS5 for gaming

• Like Like x 2
  11. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

There is no plan for TSW3, so why do you ask or even pose this? besides that, it is good that people that cannot or do not want to buy an expensive game computer can play TSW. They also bring good money that is badly needed to cover development expense. You cannot just throw away 23/3 of the customer base. Sot I think this is kind of a stupid question.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Skyz2020

Thank you for the post.

Yes I hope linux improves and kicks on in the near term

8th gen comments I fully agree with you

Good insights

• Like Like x 1
  13. jmhdc812

jmhdc812 Active Member

Can I just say that I've been involved in PC gaming and simulators for the better part of the last four decades. I mean, I literally go back to the very first flight simulator, FS1 by Sublogic, which I purchased in 1980 and ran on a computer with no graphics card, no sound card, a monochrome monitor, 5 1/4" floppy drives and a whopping 48K of RAM. So many things have changed since then, but the one constant over all those many years is that there has always been a small segment of the community who feel the need to demonstrate their generosity with MY money!! "Oh, I'm sure no one would mind paying $xx for this improvement"..."We would all be willing to pay this much $$$ for this add on." STOP SPENDING MY MONEY!!!!! No, I wouldn't be willing to pay a higher ransom for a publisher to throw two thirds of their player base under the bus so I might get another 10 FPS out of my train. So please, if you really feel a need to promise a publisher more money, please, speak for yourself and leave my wallet out of it. There, I said it. I'm not proud of it, but I said it. And I feel so much better!! :D
    Now, before anyone deigns to eviscerate me for my obviously (I hope) facetious rant, know that this was offered in genuine good humor, with a smile on my face, a song in my heart, and nary a negative thought towards anyone. Truth be told, over the last forty years, and as this thread clearly illustrates, things are pretty much as they've always been as it pertains to the world of computer gaming. A true testament to the notion that "the more things change, the more they stay the same." ;)

Ok, I'm done. My best to all!!

• Like Like x 12
  14. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Why do we need TSW3 as TSW2 is good. TSW3 was rush hour.

• Like Like x 1
  15. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

I wholeheartedly hope there is not a TSW3

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sprinter

Sprinter Well-Known Member

Maybe you can stop this nonsense on the forum. Matt and Nat already answered that it will not be a PC only game. Allot of console and PC players are happy and thankfull TSW is available on console. Its not nice and rude what you are doing with this post. Everyone is equal. We are all Railfans. It doesnt matter on what platform we play and enjoy TSW! Have a nice weekend.

• Like Like x 13
  17. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

As someone who plays games exclusively on PC, never owned a console and can't even fathom using a controller...

No.
    TSW should not be exclusive to PC and should be available to all platforms.

• Like Like x 5
  18. dhekelian

Nonsense? That is a bit OTT no? I can remember DTG saying that the 8th gen will always be treated equally, look how that has changed. Game developers are in it for making money and need confidence in their product and will tell you want they want you to know and this can change in a blink of eye.

19. Skyz2020

Agreed the 8th Gen crowd to an extent have been mis treated and broadly speaking kicked softly into touch over a few issues in the last 24 months. The biggest being the lack of layers on newer DLC, particularly London Comm.

However as a newly promoted PC user from PS4 I could not go back, I would miss the layers too much, and my current rig plays London Commuter like a silk purse rather than the sows ear it became and still is on PS4

• Like Like x 1
  20. MrSouthernDriver

MrSouthernDriver Well-Known Member

i dont think there should be a TSW3 in my opinion at all, transferring all your routes over to a new game again would be a nightmare, i think DTG should stick to this game, and this game only

• Like Like x 1
  21. dhekelian

Completely agree but you have to expect that when DTG will see an opportunity to make money by going to TSW3 imo they will. I think the 8th gen will be dropped before that though especially if sales of the 9th gen pick up which they should.

22. trainsimplayer

TSW3 will probably be the jump to UE5. That itself is a good while down the line. TSW2 is here to stay for a good while.

Gen8 consoles would probably be axed at that point, however no time sooner.

TSW will never become a PC-exclusive.

Skyz2020 as a former PS player yourself, it surprises me that your rhetoric against the continuation of console support is so strong. Considering the size of the PS/Xbox communities, the fact they add up to ⅔ of the TSW Community, and their love (or hatred) for the game, don't you think it's a ridiculous suggestion to pull the plug on consoles?

Outside of TSW, Train Simulation practically doesn't exist on console. If it leaves the market, console train simulation doesn't exist.

And frankly, it won't happen, so how about you let it rest and let this... discussion... come to an end.

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. Skyz2020

Completely agree with this post. I hope DTG take the opportunity to build back better with TSW3 and take TSW3 as a moment to reset the train simulator market for a greater user experience.

We shall see when TSW3 comes.... I can feel it... steam release at same time pherhaps.... mmm tasty!

24. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

Dude, again: There will be no TSW 3. Get it out of your head. NO. TSW 3. ANd now please stop pushing that nonsense again and again.

• Like Like x 8
  25. Sprinter

Yeah well i think this whole discussion is nonsense indeed.
    To topic starter; If you love your new PC so much.... go play TSW on it! :) Instead of trolling the forum.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Skyz2020

Like there won't be a gta 6 or elder Scrolls 6

OK;)

27. Skyz2020

I have today

Lovely little run three bridges to Victoria

Perfect

28. trainsimplayer

Question: Why are you so desperately trying to continue this narrative about Dropping Consoles/TSW3 when the majority of users in this thread have shot it down, with even Matt shooting down the former?

• Like Like x 4
  29. Sprinter

You remind me of this "Synthetic Angel" member who was banned some time ago.. and thats not a good thing;)

• Like Like x 5
  30. Skyz2020

Cool .. we'll check this next post it will confuse you...

31. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

This thread has got to be a fever dream. Please tell me this isn't real. Please.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Skyz2020

Admin please lock and close this thread.

It has run its course.

Thank you to all

I have enjoyed reading every post

Goodnight

• Like Like x 1
  33. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Out of interest because im not a console player:

Lets say a player gets his hands on a ps5, can he get the content ported over from ps4?

34. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I'm sure there will be a TSW3 eventually, but the transition from TSW2020 to TSW2 must have been an absolute nightmare for them, what with transferring all of the old DLC, the preservation thing, sorting out permissions for the different edition owners and now having a right old mess of duplicated routes on stores until they eventually bin off 2020 entirely. Are DTG going to want to go through all that again any time soon?

GTA is in a slightly different boat, but again, GTA V has become such a monster of a thing now, they're splitting Online into its own thing which should ease the transition when a new main story does arrive. That said, they're still gearing up to release V on PS5 which will be the third generation of consoles they've flogged it on. Not sure I can stomach buying it for a third time!

That's never been a reason for threads to get locked. Pointless threads like this generally rumble on for months and even once it's dead, someone who doesn't really understand how forums work will revive it with an outraged post every few months! :D

Yes.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  35. Sprinter

Bye bye i bet you did, next time Netflix and popcorn?

• Like Like x 2
  36. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

I was quite the hussy today and played TSW2 on 3 different platforms.

On PC all was well but after 1 minute I had to connect my Xbox controller. My problem is the keyboard now feels alien for playing games and the controller fits so nicely in my hands. (Yes I actually prefer a controller!) :embarrassed:

PS5 was disappointing, the game crashed exploring London Victoria station on foot at 7.30 in the morning. The frame rate was utterly dreadful, somewhere between 20-30 fps walking around the station. DTG really need to optimise the game better on this console! (At the same hour and with the same DLC at Victoria, the Series X was smooth at around 45-50 fps and the RTX2080Ti PC 50-60 fps).

Series X (my regular platform of choice) pretty good overall. Just the ever-present sound looping issues, which I have ranted about in another post.

• Like Like x 2
  37. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I play TSW on PC but in unrelated news I can't find a PS5 for love nor money and GT7 is getting close...

• Like Like x 2
  38. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

I've seen people making this argument, and it makes as little sense as claiming that lopping off a giant chunk of the customer base would be a good business move. 8th gen has significantly lower hardware capabilities than 9th gen, period. Everybody who develops for both gens has to deal with that somehow. It was the same with the transition from 7th to 8th gen, as it will it will be for 9th to 10th gen, and so on.

8th gen consoles can't handle all those extra layers. They can't handle 100 car Sherman Hill trains. 9th gen and PCs can. That's not DTG "mistreating" anyone.

• Like Like x 4
  39. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

The next iteration TSW3 should probably be
    PC , Xbox Series , PS5.

• Like Like x 1
  40. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

Well, I think GTA 6 and Elder Scrolls 6 are quite the different things eh? There you dont have this quite stupid discussion about whether consoles should be dropped.

Also GTA 6 and ES 6 have been openly discussed for like forever while TSW 3 has been openly denied by the Devs in a sense that it is not planned.

41. Ant Craft

Ant Craft Well-Known Member

At £40, you're having a laugh. £25 is already seen as too expensive by some as it is (I think it's an alright price, but can depend on per dlc), so you'd have less people on all player bases buying for that amount. So even if they did cut consoles, increasing the price would make sales and profit suffer even more on top of that.
    But to get to the core issue with your idea - they aren't and never will drop consoles. it's too profitable for a start, but the backlash would be insane. They've committed to supporting console, so they just can't back out now. Now to talk about profit, the main reason why they'd never drop consoles. If I remember correctly from a past stream, the proportions of the player base are roughly 30% PC, 40% playstation on 30% xbox I think (figured are close enough at least), so you'd really think they'd cut off 70% of their TSW profit? And say just under half decided to rebuy on PC, that'd be another 30%, but that's it, so they'd still lose out on 40% of their business, which would make everything much much worse.
    I used to be in the camp that consoles were bad for TSW, but you can't argue with those numbers. Those numbers is what allows them to hire additional developers to make bigger content, and we're already seeing the benefits of that. Brighton Mainline has the most numbers of services to date, and some of the best scenery work too if you ask me. And then not long after that, we got Sherman Hill, the longest route we've ever seen in TSW. Of course, this is much more than more developers, particularly with the BMLs services and how much work Joe put into it himself, but you still need extra manpower to help deliver these projects. Another example is the preserved team. If they did that, and lost out on all that profit, they'd be the first to go. They don't make DTG any money directly, and they'd be the biggest loss out of everything if you ask me.
    So at the end of the day, there's many, many reasons why you don't want them to not support console anymore. Sure, DTG are far from a flawless developer, and there is still many, many improvements that need to be made to just TSW and how they deliver content, but we'd be in a far worse place without the console community. And then there's that. The community. Console support has made the train sim community far bigger and far easier to be a part of, and that's one of the best things of all.
    However, not everything is bad in this post. A closer relationship with modders would be a nice thing. We've already seen them incorporating the cloud mod into the game officially, and I believe they're planning to do the same with the rain mod too, so that's always a welcome sight to see.

42. Ant Craft

Ant Craft Well-Known Member

Agreed. No one is saying that them not having the extra layers or longer trains is a bad thing, but there's a huge difference when saying they've been mistreated, when DTG have tried their best to get it in, but the tech is just too old and limited now to deal with it. And people have to accept that. DTG can't just magically make their consoles run far better or anything. We do know they're trying to reduce memory use, but that's only going to go so far. Console people need to accept that if they want the full experience, then they need to upgrade. I know that's easier said than done with the console shortages, but it's what needs to be done. They should be glad that DTG is both still supporting them, and giving them a free upgrade to next gen. I know many developers who are charging for next gen upgrades and have some plans to stop supporting 8th gen.

• Like Like x 2
  43. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I have thought the the same.

• Like Like x 1
  44. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

DTG can't win when it comes to Gen 8 consoles. To say these users have been mistreated is ludicrous. If they include the extra layers there will be much anger from gen 8 users because suddenly DTG will be useless and the game full of bugs. So they don't include the extra layers so DTG are selfish and mistreating these users.

For the sim to move foward DTG gen 8 users will have to have a lesser experience and in the long term probably not supported, either that or the experience has to be downgraded for everyone else.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

If I get all these statements right, I´m about to chose between being beheaded by the sword or dying a slow and painful death nailed to the cross. Because there´s not a chance in hell I´m going back to PC gaming. (Been there, done that.)

My shabby PS4 Slim has outdated HW and can´t handle all the layers of the DLCs. OK, understood.

Upgrading can be an option, PS5 could handle them but then ....... there´s that arbitrary 64Gb storing limitation to be considered. You won´t be able as well to use the DLCs all at ones. Unless you shuffle them around, installing and uninstalling. In times of affordable SSD for 1,2,3,4,5 Tbyte it seems quite a bit ridiculous of a perspective.

Funny enough, that old PS4 can handle some AAA games with much more complex and detailed graphics, with deep immersions into huge sceneries at steady 60fps and no crashes. (Assassins Creed Franchise, or Uncharted 4&5, to name a few). But that seems to be a holy cow not to be touched. ("Different cup of tea, no comparison, complete other architecture ......... yadayada.")
    Until DTG doesn´t get their PS5 act straight, I´m gonna wait before I purchase anything else.

• Like Like x 3
  46. Skyz2020

So to echo last night's comments one final time.

I think its time for admin to lock this thread up.

It's been a joy to read the comments and have a very civil debate which I have really enjoyed and all the contributions for the most part have been up beat and honest.

Matt has my full respect as director and he will continue on his journey to help build back better this game to where it was before the recent UE upgrade.

Nat is a competent community manager and I respect her decision to close polls, I didn't at first but it was the right thing to do and she executed this decision with fair warning.

please lock as appropriate,

Many thanks

&

King Regards/Happy Sunday

47. ARuscoe

That's not how forums work... if you don't want to be in the discussion then feel free to unwatch. The rest of the forum can then discuss your "suggestion" as they see fit

• Like Like x 5
  48. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

I'm on PC and I think we need consoles Gen8 & Gen9 no need to drop support for no reason :)

• Like Like x 1
  49. trainsimplayer

Prior to Christmas I was on Xbox One S.

Brighton Mainline was the worst route to play on, because it crashed every time going to London, and struggled to get out of Victoria the other way. Texture and Visual quality wasn't as good, and the performance was all-round lower.

Compared to the Xbox Series X, which I am now on, it is a different world. The Series X provides me with the smoothest gaming experience I've ever had, and will likely be the best I'll get for years.

I'm a console player, through and through. I have a PC and use it for gaming, however it's nowhere near powerful enough to run a simulation like TSW. Not a hope in hell. (Heck, it can barely load 25 mods on Transport Fever 2!) Would I trade the joys of the Xbox for a better PC experience? No! I wouldn't. That doesn't just apply to TSW, but to everything. I prefer a controller (shoot me now), I prefer getting everything I need in one package rather than having to get loads of parts (for the optimal experience, that is), and I'm aware there are many who share the same feelings.

Hold on, this wasn't even my point (If I seem crazy, I'm not, I'm typing as I think) my point was about Gen8 consoles. Ah, yes, Last Gen consoles are limited by their hardware. It's why we get new generations of consoles every now and again. Because of this whole microchip shortage, a lot of people are stuck with last gen consoles, and it's on developers to continue to support them until the time is right to move on entirely.

Frankly, TSW is being held back by Gen 8 consoles, due to their limitations. The only thing consoles as a whole limit is Dovetail's ability to do more PC-Centric things like Steam Workshop (which come to think of it, wouldn't be fair on Epic users anyway!), Modding Support, an Editor and so on, without being "unfair" to parts of the community.

TLDR: Consoles are here to stay. Thanks for the thought OP, I'll send your best wishes to the console community. We're thankful for your attempts to cut us out of this game :)

50. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

I hear you but I wouldn’t say TSW is being held back; DTG are trying to cram in what they can but there are limits, so some layers have to go. Otherwise the gen 9 and PC versions are “full fat”. However, comparing the 3 platforms in London (see earlier post) they still have some work to do on PS5, so all is not rosy on gen 9.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.