Showcase Routes Earlier.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WVUadam, Jan 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

I think what would be a good idea would be if dtg were to showcase Dev builds alot earlier than what is being done now.

Because showing a route few weeks from release with a "Dev build" is like what other companies do with a open beta two weeks from release of the product. Nothing changes accordingly such as the graphics and it's dishonest behaviour.

Showing a Dev build 2 months prior would be better. That way feedback can be taken into consideration, and whilst improving the route as standard. Like you could of shown off SEHS at the end of the year stream.

And if xbox and ps4 are holding back compared to Xbox series x or PS5 with what you want to achieve for console then say It. I don't want to receive a worse experience than intended that can be played what you expected on pc. Considering the console price for dlc is same as pc price.

2. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Just curious .... how is doing a route preview “Dishonest Behavior”???? This logic is beyond me

• Like Like x 1
  3. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Matt has mentioned why they do not necessarily do dev videos as the route is built. And it comes down it takes time away from what they are trying to achieve in getting the route completed and put out to us.

There is in no way any "Dishonest Behaviour" going on here.

4. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Did you see the amount of criticisms on SEH when it was show two weeks before launch? It looks like people spend a lot of time on commenting on unfinished stuff and do not listen to dev comments stating clearly that it is not a finished product. I can imagine it makes you careful to show work in progress, though I would love it ...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

From what happened with SEHS (sorry Sam, I'm sticking to four letters :D ), I would be surprised if they ever show off a route again before release. Like you said before, they were clearly saying that they are working on the sound, and yet people keep renting about how quiet the train was. It feels like it is not about feedback, but finding that one thing that is not correct and hammering your point in. Imagine what would be going on if they showed the route 2 months before release. While in general I believe this would be really nice (in order to receive constructive feedback), with the way humans and parts of the community work I don't think it would benefit anyone, on the contrary (destructive comments) :(

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  6. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

They said there will be another stream or streams before it's released on Feb 4 which likely means a Tues and possibly a Thurs stream we will have to wait and see.

7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Surely earlier dev builds would have even more unfinished stuff in them, which wouldn’t give a better or more useful view of what the route will be like, but would double the amount of pitchfork wielding behaviour on the forum, and double the number of “it’s only a dev build” replies from others thinking every issue will be perfect later because there’s still a couple of months to go. Imagine all the posts about how there aren’t any fences but about 30 other types of scenery elements too, and how there aren’t any AI trains because the timetable isn’t finished yet. I’ve had a cold shiver go down my spine just thinking about it.

It is for this reason that we will likely never again get a preview stream more than a day before release.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

That's probably right. Better to stick to text plus screenshot articles on the website, with the WIP caveat. That's how it mostly worked with TS. Of course that won't stop the naysayers and rivet counters when the routes are released. Fair criticism is fine once the dlc is launched, but the recent threads have, in my opinion, been over the top in some cases.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I think the OP has a point but has worded it badly (very very badly)
    It would be beneficial if DTG did a "we've made this, tell us what you can find that is (in your opinion of course) wrong with it"
    This then gives "the community" (ie the revenous wolves who love to bean count, tear flesh and state their case ad nauseum) the chance to let DTG what they think is important on the route, and what is not.
    DTG work on what THEY think is important and then miss out things like fences, yards, AI, static consists etc even though people do feel this brings as much to the game as whether the fan in the cab works or there are passengers in the trains in depots.
    Of course "everything is important to someone", but if the feedback from the community is important, give them the chance when there's still dev time to change, update or add in rather than saying "We've made this, we're still working on it, but by working on it we mean working on what we think is important" which is what happened with SEHS

Yes they said it was a dev build, but they also said close as darn it to the release candidate
    They've now gone back and had a rethink following war and peace on it from "the community" (ravenous wolves) so I guess we'll see what comes

• Like Like x 2
  10. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

After the last dog-pile and shark frenzy over the preview of SEH, wouldn’t be surprised if we do not get anymore previews :)

11. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

The previews for new routes and locos currently,around 2 weeks before launch are fine in fact i feel even after release where getting to play a preview lauch product since every new dlc will no doubt have unpleasant bugs glitches and errors still left in for those who bought it to be found.So just enjoy being part of dtg secret release testing team.(Thank goodness we only had to pay about 20.00 to 30.00 for this perk.)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021