Shunting Routes

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Tulki123, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Tulki123

Tulki123 New Member

Hi everyone, so a bit of a thought experiment here. If DTG offered you a shunting route (like we had with Doncaster Works in TS) where would you want it to be and with which locos? The advantage of such a route is a large amount of scenario activity with relatively little route/scenery design needed which could in theory allow such a DLC to be marketed at say £15, maybe with a new loco and some recycled ones (think class 08, 66 etc).
    What would your dream yard/s be?

• Like Like x 2
  2. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

My choice (United States) would be the CSX yard in Niagara Falls, NY. There is a decent sized yard where there is almost always one yard crew at work, sometimes up to three. It even features a separate yard for storing tank cars. A couple CSX mixed freight trains and locals enter/leave the yard each day. The yard also serves as an interchange with Canadian Pacific and Canadian National. Locomotives from both these companies can be seen in the yard and as run-through power on trains from Buffalo, NY. In the evenings, a switch crew heads south towards the Niagara River where there are many different switching opportunities including the garbage dump, incinerator, scrap yard, paper mill, as well as many sidings within the numerous oil and chemical plants. Heading east out of the yard, a line branches north from the new Amtrak station and to an abrasives company.

Rolling stock would include tankers, boxcars, covered hoppers, open-top hoppers, trash gondolas (high and low sided), and trash container flatcars (not the ones found in NEC). As well as reefer cars and autoracks for switching in the yard.

Locomotives would include the GP15T and MP15DC. AC4400CWs and ES40DCs can usually be found pulling the mixed freights and can sometimes be found in the yard along with CP AC4400CWs, CN ET44ACs and CN ES44DCs. GP40-3s usually pull the locals out of Niagara falls to Buffalo or Lockport, NY. SD40-2 and GP38-2s through can also be found in the yard from time to time.

Trash Container Spine Flatcar and Trackmobile at the incinerator.
    [​IMG]

GP15T and GP40-2
    upload_2020-6-4_11-13-11.jpeg

MP15AC
    upload_2020-6-4_11-12-28.jpeg

MP15T and MP15AC
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  3. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I'd suggest the BNSF (or ATSF) yard at Barstow, Bailey Yard in North Platte, Nebraska (the world's largest freight yard), the NS (or Conrail) Conway Yard in Pennsylvania, the UP West Colton Yard, etc. Also, we should get an intermodal yard with working cranes. The Genset switcher is a must for yard switching, too. I'd love an ET44 for heavy freight.

• Like Like x 2
  4. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

I would love something that has either BNSF or UP, with a lot of locos available to grab for switching works (GP38-2, GP40-2, GP60, MP15, SW1000) and switch cars at sidings and other industries, a lot of lineside businesses and industries along a multi track mainline for local freights (at least 40 mi) and multiple car opportunities (Autorack, tank, boxcar, centerbeam flat, hoppers both open and covered, for grain, coal, and aggregate, intermodal, and other manifest cars) for switching. Let’s not forget mainline freights, which, is why I included the intermodal cars, will include ES44DC/AC, SD70ACE, SD70M, SD60, ET44AC, and ST70AH. Oh, but one can only dream, can I?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Due to license issue with BNSF UP would be the more likely add or even SP or NS.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ehz0689

ehz0689 Well-Known Member

Norfolk Southern Roanoke railyard. It's their most busy hub

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 2