Signalling - Sos

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by horusblades, Jun 9, 2022.

1. horusblades

horusblades Member

So one thing I've been running into recently is red signals. It's a bit abrupt going from a green to red in a matter of a few hundred yards with no warning signals to alert me. This gives me no time to slow down and stop and I've failed several services because of this. I've been trying to memorise where abouts they are for the particular timetable I'm driving but am struggling.

Is this a known issue/problem others are having or am I just unlucky?

On a separate note the route seems pretty dead a lot of the time, it would be nice to see more locos going about their shifts and services too.

2. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

Keep an eye out on distant signals. They are a good indicator.

3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Except that there are no distant signals, where there should be. Notoriously, there is no distant at all between Speke and Ditton Junction - in fact the light signal is always green - and then you suddenly are confronted with a Stop just before Ditton with no warning and only about 250 yards visibility. This is a design error; somebody missed out a distant which unquestionably would have been there.

4. MRFS

MRFS Staff Member

There isn't a design error, the distant is there. Are you on the Up Slow or Up Fast?

5. MRFS

MRFS Staff Member

If a Distant is "On" - yellow (or single/double yellow) that means that somewhere ahead of you in the "range" (I don't want to say block, due to the obvious confusionability) of signals controlled by the same signalbox, there will be a signal at danger.

6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

This is a bit of an ongoing discussion.
    Effectively SoS is a "new game" primarily because there isn't the relevant stock to fill in the gaps in the timetable so DTG have two options:
    1. put the jubilee and 8F to work on services they didn't run - thus annoying the purists who want everything to be as it was back in the day
    2. don't put more services on but then leave large swathes of route with few services (or empty yards and factories etc)
    In the past (SEHS to be exact) DTG put services in using incorrect trains and got blasted for it, and since then there's been polls asking whether the community want proper trains running proper services but emptier lines, or fill the lines up even though you might end up with twenty of the same train pulling services it never ran

7. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

There is a bug with some of the colour light signals. They don’t talk to the semaphores.

One that always gets me is on the downhill approach to Ditton Junction from Runcorn. Two green colour lights and then you slam into a red semaphore.
    It’s the same on NTP.

It seems strange to me as surely they’d be coded exactly the same, just one has to change a light and one has to play an animation.

Like others have said if you see a distant signal at ‘caution’ then one of the next two semaphores could be at ‘danger’.

8. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Is it always two or can a distant signal also control more than two signals?

9. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

I think it depends on how large the block section is, I did a run yesterday and near Edgehill I was given a distant at caution, went through two or three greens and then the next distant was at caution as well and the red signal was beyond that, Luckily I'd been driving cautiously so was able to stop in plenty of time.

10. a.paice

Not really sure. There’s so many bugs I struggle to tell what’s correct and what’s not.

11. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

FROM WHAT I KNOW (possibly incomplete)
    There's a different between a "distant signal" and a "home signal"
    A distant signal is usually accompanied by a main signal (ie you have a red bar above and a yellow bar underneath), the yellow bar may indicate an upcoming signal at danger and this is likely the next signal or signal group (ie slow down the next signal is likely stop)
    A home signal is often the first signal you see from an upcoming signal box and acts for the whole run of that signal box (ie ANY of the signals controlled by that box on your set route is at danger) This could be two signals, it could be ten but when you passed that home signal there was something ahead of you
    You can also have permanent signals at danger which are actual sign boards with the yellow bar painted on. These indicate you will ALWAYS be expected to stop at the next signal or board

Unfortunately it's another case of "in the UK the driver would be expected to know where the signals are, how many signals each box controls and probably the service pattern of the trains ahead so would already know to act accordingly"

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. a.paice

Thanks- Good to know

13. MRFS

MRFS Staff Member

A distant signal will read over all the signals controlled by the same box: from the outermost home to the most advanced starter, in some places this could be up to 5 or 6 signals.

• Like Like x 1