Simrail 2021 Vs Tsw2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by arapajoe3, Oct 13, 2020.

1. zefreak

zefreak Active Member

The lightning in those last few photos looks great, looking forward to the release

• Like Like x 1
  2. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pics. Some of them I already saw on there facebook page. By the way game by the look of the pics looks promising.

3. robbo2k

robbo2k Member

Gameplay

• Like Like x 3
  4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

demo version in 2 weeks
    system requirements - ultra-high :|

source // comment under the video

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2021
  5. Pit

Pit Member

The recorded alpha version is quite old, there was a world streaming bug causing FPS drops, but in the demo version it is definitely eliminated.

• Like Like x 3
  6. paweuek

paweuek Active Member

Another video:

• Like Like x 4
  7. Oystein

Oystein Well-Known Member

183c0e291f7e4836cba76481eb4c4c8461e64325d53538ee71c0e04600ed9f1f_0.png

• Like Like x 10
  8. montes_1234

Looks amazing. Can't wait to try it. If anybody knows when it will be released?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Oystein

Demo will be released during the "Steam Next Fest". Three days left :)
    https://store.steampowered.com/sale/nextfest

• Like Like x 2
  10. montes_1234

11. Oystein

unknown1.png
    Zrzut_ekranu_350.png

• Like Like x 1
  12. montes_1234

Where do you find these photos? On their facebook page last post is from end of August.

13. paweuek

paweuek Active Member

New trailer

• Like Like x 2
  14. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

One 2 car consist is hardly a trailer, maybe a teaser... Still looks like they're concentrating on show rather than function

• Like Like x 1
  15. breblimator

breblimator Guest

• Like Like x 1
  16. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

Damn these Pesa EMUs are really ugly :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Those skies look gorgeous.
    Plus I'm not sure if the future looks ugly or not where Pesa is concerned?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  18. montes_1234

Looking promising. Thanks for the video.

19. Pinguinie

Pinguinie Active Member

And, the passengers don't spawn, but walk through the train.

But you have already seen with TheBus, before long-distance bus and tourist bus,
    that it takes years before DTG is ready.

• Like Like x 1
  20. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Next Step Pesa DMU the DB BR633.

21. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

So we expect the demo today? Will be interesting....

• Like Like x 3
  22. Pinguinie

Pinguinie Active Member

According to rumors, it should be very, very, very short ....

• Like Like x 1
  23. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

I don't understand why that would be a bad thing that there are pop ups so people don't get lost? As long as there is the option to turn that off it shouldn't bother you. Adding pop ups so people don't get lost makes it that more people can buy the product. If more people can buy it, there are more resources to make the game better for you. But then there is the balancing act and that is where most companies go of the rails. They cater too much to new users so the don't bother anymore with giving you the option to make those pop ups disappear. Real simulators are not lucrative if you are only working for consumers. Consumers don't want to pay the hefty price tags that come with real simulators.

24. Oystein

It is not rumors, it is information from the devs. The demo is only 15km/9miles with one train. No multiplayer. Demo is available from today 17:00 CET until october 7th.

25. montes_1234

If true it is disappointing. Will be hard to evaluate it based on the 15 km. That is probably two stations.

26. breblimator

breblimator Guest

No TRAXX today? buuu :(

27. Oystein

I don't think it is disappointing at all. You get a chance to try the product before you buy. Even after buying you have the option to play for two hours and request a refund if you don't like it.

• Like Like x 5
  28. KoeleKoen

KoeleKoen Well-Known Member

It's a demo, not an early acces release, you can't expext a full route with multiple trains for a demo. At least this gives you a taste of what to come, can't really bash on that since i've paid full price for dtg products to feel like a beta tester.

• Like Like x 6
  29. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Well as usual the "isn't this just the next thing since sliced bread" brigade are being let down.
    A 5 minute demo isn't even worth bothering with. I'll wait until early access or later and then hope the forums are as lively as on here

• Like Like x 1
  30. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

downloand
    SimRail - The Railway Simulator Demo

31. Amtrak131

Amtrak131 Active Member

Yah, demo is out!!!!
    Post your reactions

32. JealousSheep768

JealousSheep768 Well-Known Member

Is simrail a 1st person game?

33. montes_1234

Simrail demo = terrible performance, unplayable mess

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  34. JealousSheep768

JealousSheep768 Well-Known Member

Are you talking about tsw2 or simrail. I can't tell. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. robbo2k

robbo2k Member

Live

• Like Like x 1
  36. Oli R C

Oli R C Member

For those who are interested in train sims, you should like this. It’s very different to TSW so you can pretty much forget everything you know from there.

Certainly a focus on simulation.

Things worthy of a mention…
    • Cab setup is very nice.
    • Controls are interesting. Power handle takes some getting used to, but the more I play, the more I like. It seems a bit sluggish until you realise how it all works. Once you do get the hang of it you realise you can control the power with fairly minimal key presses. There are sensitivity options that I’ve not yet played with. Different locos could well have a different setup.
    • Nice light controls.
    • Working fold out mirrors when you stop and open the doors
    • Dispatcher commands, and comms. Really nice using the radio. You encounter a couple of reds on your run.
    • No minimum wait time in stations, so if you’re running behind, the dispatcher will clear you pretty quickly
    • Arrival times and departure times are 2 different things
    • Nice door control. Like TramSim, you just unlock the doors and the passengers let themselves in, and doors auto close after a few seconds. If another passenger comes along while you’re still waiting, they open the door. This is very nice because if doors are closed when you’re cleared to depart, you just click the lock switch and off you go, without any waiting. You can open the doors too if you want to. This is fun in TramSim because it can get people onto your tram quicker, if you see them coming.
    • In cab dials look good enough to run without HUD.
    • HUD is very minimal, and there's plenty of customisation of what you can show and hide.
    • Cruise control looks very interesting, although I don’t know how to work it, if it works in the demo. You’ve got a selection of preselected speeds, plus up/down increments. Fiddling with it certainly does something, but it didn't limit my speed, so it's either user error, or it's not functioning yet.
    • You can fine tune render settings in the options.
    • You can enhance signal visibility with a sliding scale, although if you go much over minimum it starts to look silly. A small increase fine.
    • Sounds are OK. You’ve got joint sounds which are very nice, and irregular. They’re clearly linked to the track, as they occur in the same places. Nice compressor and brake sounds. Nice flange sounds. Motor sounds seem good. They're not bowling me over, but they're by no means bad.
    Whilst you start out standing by your train, you can move around outside, but to get into the train you click the door, and your moved into the cab in a quick animation. I’m not sure if you can then get back out of the train. Not something that bothers me in a train sim. (Edit: Keys 1 and 4 get you in and out of the train).

Overall, controlling the train is quite tricky, which is probably how it should be. You do need to concentrate on it, otherwise things go wrong. The driver vigilance lights are very nice, which is useful.

There was mention you can play passenger and freight, but there only appears to be a passenger run in the demo. You do pass a freight train along the way, though.

I'm not encountering any performance issues with max settings.

All in all, this is very much up my street and I can’t wait to play the full route.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 12
  37. robbo2k

robbo2k Member

The game requires online because you are connected to the traffic server. There is a different situation generation for each scenario. I've already seen an ambulance on the tracks. If you see red you have to contact the radio with the traffic dispatcher. sometimes there is a control failure you get a "Sz" blinking white light allowing you to ignore the red light.

• Like Like x 2
  38. Pinguinie

Pinguinie Active Member

I still hope that the DTG will bring out a sensible, diverse MP.

Apparently you can't get into SimRail properly, where the passengers walk through the train and sit down.

I also don't think that in the MP you will be able to take turns driving a train. That is very, very unfortunate.

39. Oystein

Must be you/your computer then. Works fine here and stable FPS with max settings and a 5k monitor.

What I don't like is the short draw distance. Everything ~1km away from you is total white. This can ruin this simulator that has a lot of potentional.

• Like Like x 2
  40. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

Looong 'quick' thoughts after trying this out at last:

Got the demo, tried the one route out a few times and *if* this is a representation of the wider game then it's impressive. You get a 20-minute local passenger route just outside Katowice (Ząbkowice to Będzin through Dąbrowa), with 6 stops after boarding and starting the train. The feel is quite similar to TSW, and I can confirm it runs fine with lower settings on older machines - even a little better than TSW2 for me, in fact. Hard to do much wider comparison between the two at this point, obviously, so I'll focus on what's in Simrail. There's a cruel comment about the PESA Elf above, but I think it's a nice little EMU - the interiors are also very nice for their commuter train purposes irl, and they've been very faithfully recreated here. I'll be happy to take a better look in the full game, as well as to see our retrofuturist Pendolinos recreated.

In the demo at least, there isn't a simplified option for control. You have to start from cold, sort out the brake valves and pantograph, ring the signalbox to be allowed to proceed and then set off. There isn't controller support, and you're stuck with the default keymapping, but it does note in-game that these will be added before release. The handling feels quite tricky in the Elf and it took me a few attempts not to overrun the second station, plus it can be quite easy to flick braking to full, which sends you into an emergency stop which you apparently can't cancel. I haven't controlled one in real life so can't comment on how accurate this is. It's not a massively complicated system, at least, and you can quite quickly get the hang of the power holding method for acceleration and maintaining speeds.

Clearly the star of this show, and what Simrail does differently, is going to be the dispatch system and related multiplayer. Not sure if it will be the case with every station, but so far at anything with multiple tracks running through you need to stop first and call to be allotted a platform, and it will be interesting to see how taking on the role of a dispatcher will work. I know a lot of people on this forum are eager for sims to explore more roles on the railways than just drivers, so this might be something for them.

The scenery is, well, ugly as hell because this part of Silesia is unfortunately not one of Poland's prime tourist spots. It's well done, though, and having grown up around this post-industrial landscape, I can confirm they've absolutely done it justice. The stations looks accurate, the passengers and train move around smoothly, and the assets look appropriate and well made - houses less so but maybe that will improve.

I'll admit, I was a little pessimistic when I saw this being announced last year - the publisher is somewhat notorious in Poland and beyond for various reasons, and then the delay announcements began. There were also long periods between social media updates after a big launch, so it was getting harder to believe we'd see it deliver on its promises. Other than fan projects, we've not had any representation for Polish rail in sims so it feels like there's a lot riding on this, and this demo suggests they're going to deliver. Can't wait.

Great to see DTG staff in this thread being supportive of the Simrail team too, the two platforms can happily co-exist and provide different experiences to the same players, rather than competing on the same points.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. rpeterbroughlowe

rpeterbroughlowe Active Member

What does everyone think to Unity being used?

I've got everything on ultra and the view out of the cab looks a little grainy?

42. stijn.claessens

stijn.claessens Well-Known Member

I need to play with some graphic setting because right now it looks a bit off. But the short time i tried it it was Fun. I completly flew
    through the second station.

The alerter sound however does make my ears bleed

• Like Like x 1
  43. Oli R C

Oli R C Member

I think everyone does, but you sharp learn the braking. There are already whiners in the steam discussions calling for better warning of stations - even though there already is a distance to station indicator. Apparently that's not enough... I wonder how these folk manage to get through the day.

Better get it while it's still just flashing lights. :D

• Like Like x 2
  44. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Definitely be getting this when released.

• Like Like x 5
  45. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

Tried it a bit today. Want to share my thoughts:

Pros:
    -Really nice sounds
    -Dispatcher seems quite ehanced
    -Looks generally good, however more on that in the cons
    -Nice UI
    -Stable
    -Nice passenger-train interaction, including door usage
    -Task interaction feels less scripted than TSW
    -Everything is clickable and seems to work

Cons:
    -For the love of god, I cannot get AA to work, which makes catenary and rails look horrible
    -You cannot walk through the train but get teleported to the drivers seat once you enter the door
    -The train in the demo is just not my cup of tea, most notably the horrible funtionality of the power control lever
    -Have I mentioned I don't like the train? It looks horrible
    -I don't think it will hook me for too long until other countries like the UK arrive. Poland while a delight change, does not have the appeal to me.

• Like Like x 1
  46. rpeterbroughlowe

rpeterbroughlowe Active Member

yeah the AA makes the track look awful.

However DTG could really learn a few things on the sheer quality and detail of the OLHE

47. Oli R C

Oli R C Member

With regards to AA, I'm using TAA which is by far the best setting, at least for my system. I'm not getting any flickering, and only get minor aliasing in distant things like fences. Track and wires look great. I'm guessing you've probably tried it, but just thought I'd mention it.

(Edit: Just watching the dev stream and they are working on AA.)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  48. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

Gave the demo a go, can't say I'm all that impressed.

It felt like an inbetweener of TS / TSW graphically and the sounds don't seem better than anything TSW has except maybe the track sounds. Found the keyboard control binds to be messy, not very user friendly although it says they will be mappable in the final build. Found performance to be choppy, around 20 - 25 fps where for comparison I can play TSW in 4K ranging 45 - 60 fps depending on the route and density of traffic. Definitely needs more optimisation work.

It's not bad by any means but certainly isn't the game that destroys TS/TSW as some people on Discord have prophesised it to be.

I'll keep an eye on it more when it releases but probably won't buy it unless I see improvements and it gets some UK content, whether it be 1st or 3rd party.

• Like Like x 1
  49. montes_1234

Exactly as in my case. Running tsw on ultra settings, but in contrast simrail on medium runs really bad, close to the slideshow.

• Like Like x 1
  50. breblimator

breblimator Guest

TSW has a younger sister who will grow up. A lot of yes, a little of no. BR o7