So.........are "layers A Bonus"

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Sheldon1000, Oct 8, 2021.

1. cmadonna1998

cmadonna1998 Active Member

I get it. Like I said, I was initially pretty frustrated with the lack of layers on PS4, but I can understand it. My point was simply that in some cases the same game with more features is more. I am no longer advocating for DTG charging more or less to PS4/5 users. I was simply pointing out that I didn't think that comparison was fair.

2. li150special

li150special Well-Known Member

My take on this: layers should NOT be a bonus.

I think it was Sam who said on a stream that we should view TSW2 and the DLC like a collection or a model railway (please excuse me if I got the quote wrong). A collection or, more importantly, a model railway, is more valuable than the entirety of its parts because they form a more or less uniform whole and, more importantly, because the different parts can interact with each other. So, a loco DLC is more valuable to the user the more it can be used and interact with other DLC already used.

For me, that was THE reason for owning all German DLC. As a player, I particularly enjoy the following: 1. stable and smooth operation of the game (this is an absolute must, no second thought about this), 2. gameplay, i.e. facing the challenge of driving, stopping and PZB'ing the train, 3. variety, i.e. encountering MANY and DIFFERENT AI trains and scenery. For me, the interoperability of DLC is one of the key factors in point 3. A German route like SKA with ICE, Talent2, Dostos, freight and S-Bahn is great, with only the ICE and Talent2 it would be - excuse me - rather dull.

Having said that, of course, it would not make sense in my opinion to sacrifice other elements of item 1 (stable and smooth running), but it might be worthwhile to recalibrate certain elements of item 3 specifically for gen8 consoles (e.g. reducing quality of textures distant from the tracks, downgrading tracks that are never in use to mere scenery assets, reducing the collision rules where they are never used, e.g).