Sound Suggestion

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by NAYDOG, Oct 27, 2017.

1. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

Hi everyone - quick submission. It occured to me when parked in a station that then one key sound is absent. the thud/bang as two trains pass each other - esp at speed. Im not sure how else to describe it. Im in noway a sound engineer/programmer so Im not sure how hard it would be to produce/work.

obviously not the biggest idea - just something I thought of when thinking how to feel more immersed in the cockpit/give that sense of speed etc

please, any and all thoughts welcome

• Like Like x 2
  2. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

I'm assuming you're referring to the compression wave at the head end of the passing train. As the passing train moves forward it creates a compression wave as it forces its way through the air, kind of like the bow wave on water as a boat moves through the surface. As the air being pushed out the way hits against the body side of the stationary train, the force of this air is what makes the sound you hear.

Not entirely sure how easy this would be. Implementing playing a sound at an appropriate time is fairly easy but capturing the sound in a sterile environment is the hard bit.

Very interesting thought though Naydog, will share this with the team to look into.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 1
  3. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

The bang you describe mostly comes from the doors of the train as they have some clearance in the guidence. So when a train passes the compression wave slams the doors towards the inside and banging against the door guidence.
    On modern high speed trains the doors are closing so tight you barely hear something if another train passes by.

On some german commuter trains around munich i have seen trains with experimental door gaskets that act like a spoiler on a car. At high speed the airstream presses the door towards the train so if another train passes the doors wont slammed towards the train and make less "banging" noise. :)

Couldnt find a picture of the new gaskets but i try to explain it on an old one. The old gaskets are flat like in this picture below and the new ones are like i said above more like a spoiler or little ramp. The airstream (green arrows on the picture) is pressing the middle of the door towards the train and elimates the clearence of the door guidence and makes a passing train way less noisy without a big BANG. ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017