Speed Limit Changes

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by OnlyMe1909, May 11, 2020.

1. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

I'd like DTG to look into the possibility to adapt the way speed changes are shown in the HUD. At this time only the next speed change is shown. That can be problematic if there is a much slower speed limit just after that. I know realists will say: that's just line knowledge, learn the route. But that's taking it a little too far for my taste. This is still a game.

I'm hoping that at some point, DTG can adapt the HUD to show ALL speed limit changes within the HUD range, not only the next. That would be realy helpfull

• Like Like x 12
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Great suggestion. Train Simulator shows everything that's coming up in greater detail, so I see no reason why there can’t be more than one upcoming speed limit appearing in the HUD for TSW. There could always be a menu option to have only the very next speed limit shown for people who like it as it is.

The problem with route learning is, without driving and getting hit with the nasty surprises on your first few runs on a route, how would you know what the speed limits are. There’s no info on the map. It’s fine if you want to put the time and effort in to learn the speed limits of every line and crossover you might encounter on every route you own, but the HUD can teach you the route as you go, and be there forever for people who want to drive properly but don’t or can’t learn every speed limit on every possible routing of every route they have in a simulator.

A good HUD with good options caters for all players’ needs and desires.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

A simple "these are what are coming up in the next two miles" would do. Include speed limits, platforms or destinations, signals...
    To reduce clutter make it five maximum objects, and of course make it toggle on and off for those who don't want to know they're going to hit a 25 just after than 90...

• Like Like x 5
  4. ghall59

ghall59 Active Member

Good idea, I think we have all fallen for the "two speed limit" trap.

• Like Like x 1
  5. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

Yes this is must. Without it driving with the HUD on can be even harder. I imagine it implemented maybe like the next speed restriction as is and just below that in the smaller text next speed restriction info.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  6. anthonycsheehy

anthonycsheehy New Member

You can occasionally press the escape key and it will show you the speed limit changes coming up in a graph format, until you learn the route!

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

In some ways, the tickertape of classic TS or even the little F4 box in MSTS/OR was a better idea. This looked ahead at the set route and posted all upcoming speed limits.

8. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

Yeah indeed, there is on BML where u need to slow down to 60 and then 20yd further sow down to 40. Would be great if it only showed 40

9. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

With PZB it's actually no problem to see what the next lower speed is, but it's only for people, that know how PZB works, I don't know how the other safety systems are

• Like Like x 1
  10. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

Thanks for raising this OnlyMe1909 - I've just searched for this issue, having had the same thoughts.

As an artificial driving aid, it isn't as helpful as it could be, with the potential to give a negative experience to precisely the new players who would benefit most.

It needs to be speed sensitive tho - display everything a driver needs warning about within, say, the time it takes to do a normal, full service, brake to standstill. To prevent CPU drain, keep the calculation simple, use a fixed g force on the current speed varying by consist weight.

The existing scrolling text information displays can be used instead, the warnings need to persist until the change is in effect.

It's a particular issue on older routes, such as SoS, where speed over main line points was limited to ~25mph.

What's the thinking on this please, DTG ?

11. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

Depends if you are talking british routes then yes route knowledge and I also agree they should but for German routes This used to happen to me when I was going Aachen to Cologne at Duren, I’d be on the ICE 3 then when I’m accelerating up to 200kmh i have to go down to 80kmh because they rather give me the platform line instead of the bypass line. Until I started using PZB it’s Slows down ahead for you

12. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

If you like, it was a small but fine Ebula, on which you could also see tunnels and stations. A fully functional Ebula would be a dream, but maybe it's a way to bring that back into TSW.

The tip with the pause menu is great - I didn't even notice that the limits are also displayed here. Should just take a better look :cool:

13. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Especially since it increases immersion tenfold. Even though I love the graphics and especially the ability to walk around, I’m starting to feel more immersed in Zusi since it provides me all of the documentation a real driver has at their disposal (in addition to offering so much more than DoStos and Br 185 freight trains :D).

• Like Like x 1