PlayStation Spg Cumberland Charge Can’t Get Above 20 Mph

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by morph147, Feb 27, 2021.

1. morph147

morph147 Active Member

I am not sure what I am doing wrong here. Once I get the train set up with all four engines, I don’t see to be able to get over 20 mph. Then when I get to then sand patch location to stop I can’t get moving and the BP gauge won’t fill back up.

I followed the steps the game gave me.

the only thing I can think of is it’s another one of those things the game is not telling me to do I am missing like in fully fueled but I checked over that and could not find anything.

• Like Like x 2
  2. morph147

morph147 Active Member

After messing around, I think the issue of the 20 mph is part of game.

I think the issue I am having with the break is not using the independent break while the bp charged. Which leads me to the question what does the independent and dynamic break do

• Like Like x 1
  3. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I don't remember all the details of that scenario, but most of the westbound trains are slow movers until you reach the summit. If you have to stop on the incline, it can be hard to get moving again.

Assuming you have the locos set up correctly (which is easy to mess up if you're in a hurry), keep in mind that on the longer trains it can take a WHILE for the brakes to fully release, especially if you had them set to full service.

I usually keep the independent brake set to full, set the throttle to notch 2, and then release the automatic brake once the amps stabilize.

As the automatic brakes start to release, i throttle up to notch 3, release the independent brake and apply some sand. Once the train starts moving, i slowly throttle up to avoid wheelslip.

The dynamic brake is used to manage your speed on downhill sections- you won't need it westbound between Cumberland and the summit.

• Like Like x 1
  4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

If you followed the setup instructions in the manual, there's your problem, because the manual is wrong.

The cutoff valve in the lead engine of the rear MU should be set to cut out, not cut in. The manual is in error; you want the train brake controlled directly from the lead engine (the one you're driving). breblimator has made an excellent spreadsheet showing exactly how distributed power is supposed to be set up. You shouldn't have any trouble getting that train well over 20 mph on the long flat between Ellerslie and Hyndman- it's only up the grade that things will slow down;

Engine 1 (lead): Engine Run, Fuel Pump, Generator field ON. Reverser handle IN. Auto brake as you please. Indy brake as you please. Cutoff valve FREIGHT. MU-2a valve LEAD OR DEAD. Radio fuse ON. Distributed power fuse ON (AC4400CW only).

Engine 2 (front trail unit): Engine Run, Fuel Pump, Generator Field OFF. Reverser handle OUT. Auto brake HANDLE OFF. Indy brake RELEASE. Cutoff Valve CUT OUT. MU-2a valve TRAIL 6 OR 26. Radio fuse OFF. DP fuse OFF.

Engine 3 (banking pair lead): Engine Run, Fuel Pump, Generator field ON. Reverser handle OUT or NEUTRAL. Auto brake HANDLE OFF. Indy brake RELEASE. Cutoff valve CUT OUT. MU-2a valve LEAD OR DEAD. Radio fuse ON. Distributed power fuse ON (AC4400CW only).

Engine 4 (rear trail unit): as Engine 2.

Now, AFTER you have set that up, in the lead cab ONLY, turn on Banking Comms.
    (If you want the whole sim deal, turn Engine 4's front number plates ON and the light selector to CONTROLLED FROM ANOTHER UNIT. Then in Engine 3, set the selector to CONTROLLING ANOTHER UNIT CONNECTED AT THE LONG HOOD END, and turn the rear headlight on. Your Engine 1 of course should have front number plates and front headlight on; ditch lights to taste)

If the brake pipe isn't filling, I suspect it's because the dead hand of the banking lead is doing it. But you may have popped the PCS valve- check for a red light just above the ditch light switch. If it's on, you'll need to reset it before you can move.

It isn't a function of whether or not the indy brake is set- that's a safety precaution because you need some brakes on while the auto brake is in release!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. solicitr

Just ran the first part of that route; the setup above works fine.

I did notice on the upgrade to Sand Patch, the consist decelerates to about 20 and holds there: is that what you're talking about? That's normal, that train doesn't have the juice to do any more.

• Like Like x 1
  6. morph147

morph147 Active Member

Yup I think that is the problem. There was a point where all of a sudden the train stopped powering forward and started to slow down below 20. But I think the issue is it can’t go any faster. I am about to sit down and give it another go with the spreadsheet above.

7. solicitr

For any given weight of train and given amount of power, for a given grade, there's a maximum speed that it can hold. For this one it's about 18-20 mph on the steeper part of the approach to Sand Patch (from the tunnel it's all downhill; that's a whole 'nother problem. Learn to love your dynamic brakes!)

Same train, four AC 4400s you'd go up quite a bit faster.

8. morph147

morph147 Active Member

Ok took me a while once I got to the point but got it moving. It looks like it was a combo of needing independent break on a bit as well as slowly increasing throttle.

when do I use dynamic breaks and when do I use independent. I been mainly using the automatic thoughout this

9. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Independent
    Use this for light loco moves or when switching cars in a yard. It‘s also used to secure a train once it‘s stopped. Only the loco air brakes are applied which makes them very fast acting but also very weak if it‘s more than the loco you‘re trying to slow down.
    Automatic brake
    Use this to stop your train or when a speed restriction comes up that you don't reach by just letting the train coast. All air brakes along the train are applied. This is both slow to apply and to release.
    Dynamic brake
    Use these when descending a grade to hold your speed. The traction motors of your engines are turned into generators which slows you down as more energy is needed to keep the loco wheels spinning.​

10. mancunian#7861

mancunian#7861 Active Member

Hi. I am having precisely the same problem on SPG Cumberland Charge. Everything had gone just dandy until I got to the bit where I had to stop on that 1.2 gradient for the part stop at Viaduct Junction. My train won't move forward at all and like morph147, I set up everything as instructed at the start of this scenario. If I take off the brakes, it runs back so thinking I was being clever, I thought I'd drive backwards until I was on the level and then kind of take a charge at it as, indeed, the title Cumberland Charge would suggest! :) But no that wouldn't work either so I quit. There seems to be so many problemettes with SPG - no idea why but wish they'd get it sorted. The thought of having to start this scenario all over again is perplexing and the last thing I want to do! Is there a way of loading a save game half way through a scenario or do I literally need to start all over again? How about you, morph, did you fix it and if so how please?

Thanks, Nick

• Like Like x 1
  11. solicitr

Hill starts: throttle up first, then release brakes. About 200 amps should keep you from rolling back

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. mancunian#7861

Thank you Bill.

• Like Like x 2
  13. mancunian#7861

Well I finally managed to complete it although struggled again at that same spot but remembered the advice and applied brakes to stop the slide back then throttle 3 and waited and slowly she moved. Ironically I then had 15 miles of problems in reverse ... going downhill! Even applying 3 brakes didn't slow me down and ended up using emergency which then drained the pressure so had to keep waiting for it to hit 89 before moving again. Must have done that 5 or 6 times at least so what gives there, I've no idea. Anyway on to snow and ice next so have a feeling there's going to be more of the same. :)

• Like Like x 1