Spirit Of Steam Post Release Feedback. The Definitive Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, May 31, 2022.

1. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

I had the same feeling when I ran my first Jubilee service. It kinda funny that you get more leeway in a modern commuter (London Commuter), than you get in steam era passenger service...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Whereas Joe used all the timings of the real timetable,I have a strong suspicion that the SoS timetable only took the start times and the rest was done by AI timing (as is the norm apart from Joe’s work).

• Like Like x 3
  3. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I hope that isn't the case, I thought they had stopped doing that.

Sometimes I think they need to decide whether this is a simulator or not!

• Like Like x 4
  4. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Since i dont care about medals and time hunting, i can truely enjoy all tsw services. This means i try to keep progress a service as good as possible. When driving an unfitted train restricted to 25mph, i dont rush with 60mph to stick with the time.

Delays by my own mistakes and happenings got me into surprisingly new situations, which i would never had by just restarting the service.

My point is, even if dtg just made the starting time correct, the services are still fun. When i drive a night parcel from leeds to manchester "no hud", i usually get 15 - 20 mins late. Doesnt matter, ready for the next train to go..

• Like Like x 8
  5. steve1023

steve1023 New Member

I purchased SoS yesterday - only the 2nd time I have ever purchased full price DLC (AP 4 CEP/BEP pack being the other), hopefully so it shows support for the product and in turn further DLC gets made for it because it is crying out for it.

What I hate : The choice of Mk1 coaches DTG have used. All you need is to create a BSK, SK & CK and probably a buffet and really, you're made for life as far as Mk1 coaches are concerned - every train formed of BSO, FK & TSO types and looks crap (I really want to use stronger expletives here as I find it really frustrating that DTG can't just research basic stuff). Others have already mentioned the lack of crimson/cream liveried coaches in timetable mode - is this a bug where the sim can't randomly generate different liveried coaches in a train formation.

What I dislike : There are definately area's of the route that feel incomplete - just patches of land that have just been left either (maybe) through lack of time, just didn't know what to place there or just forgotten about.

What I liked : The modelling of the locomotives, the movement of the con-rods (and wheel slip) and just the experience of driving a decent train rather than the endless plastic trains that DTG have favoured for this sim. I definately didn't drive the locomotive as intended, but I enjoyed it all the same.

What I loved : The movement/motion of the locomotive when you have your head out of the window - brilliant, the just huge variety of different types of signal used is fantastic and the freight stock is great.

What I hope for in the future : Defo more DLC needed to fill it up. I absolutely prefer the way DTG have done this to leave gaps in the timetable and hopefully we get prototypical DLC to add-in later. I'm not sure what locomotive types operated in this area (Jinty, 4F, black 5, Std's (where 9F around by then?). I also hope DTG go back and make the necessary changes to the 08 shunter and offer it it black and early green variants, and finally (more generally) if we get a steam route again in the future (or BR blue diesel era for that matter) that DTG look properly at the types of MK1 coaches used and don't just go for the quick/cheaper option of repainting existing coach types because it looks awful :mad::mad::mad:. A different class of DMU would be nice too just as variety - 108 would be good as they went all over the place and could be re-used in the future.

Overall : I liked it and I'm glad I purchased - no regrets here. I still think that the S & D would have been the better option for the first steam route - I think there are greater challenges there. 9/10 for me for everthing except the coaches which is 1/10.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Subway#2400

Subway#2400 Active Member

I notice the AI-generated timetables are often too tight on all the routes. As a consequence it's impossible to drive realistically. I always feel like I'm in a hurry, there is no room for a more relaxed driving style, even off-peak. In reality there often is a little padding, at least to cope with bad weather conditions (that forces you to drive more smoothly) or longer than usual passenger onboardings.

It wouldn't bother me having to wait one more minute at a each station because I arrived a little early, rather than rushing everywhere everytime.

• Like Like x 4
  7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Real timetables would also have recovery time at intervals to allow for temporary speed restrictions, possibly pathing time too if scheduled to catch up a slower train. If you happen to be running late at that point, then you have some potential to make up time. As regards timings generally, out of interest I set up a scenario on Port Road in TSC using a Bossman Black Five and 7 Mark Ones. Input timings for the run from from Stranraer to Dumfries per one of the sheets from Timetable World. Now I’m not the world’s best driver but half an hour into the scenario I was already behind schedule by 7 or 8 minutes.

• Like Like x 5
  8. theorganist

Why would every rake being BSK, SK and CK look any better?

I think it is nice to have a combination of open and compartment stock.

A buffet certainly should have been included and I do find that disappointing. With many DTG loco add-ons for TSC you get a much more comprehensive range of mark 1's. Personally I would have liked more varieties and each consist to be a little different.

I hope though that if/when we get some "local service" DLC we get some LMS Stanier carriages of some description not more mark 1's. You would think from many of the steam period offerings for TSC that mark 1 carriages reigned supreme in steam days, pre-nationalisation designs were still in regular use up to the end of steam and some continued after that.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  9. theorganist

I have many working timetables going back to the 50's and as you say there is often recovery time noted in between stations or timing points, certainly on fast services and some locals. I notice for a lot of times on the working timetable there is a note saying that the published time on the passenger timetables is different, usually earlier. Interestingly on making scenarios for TSC I find many routes do seem to match the working timetable times, some routes seem quite different and you often can't get close to that shown on the working timetable.

If they have used AI times again, then that is very disappointing!

• Like Like x 5
  10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I don’t believe it is possible to match the speed of the AI trains on parts of this route, especially the uphill sections. It feels similar to Clinchfield in that regard. It is possible to get the AI trains to match the speeds that players can actually achieve because the AI trains in Sherman Hill do a pretty good job of it. I always hitch a ride with some AI services to check this aspect of the simulation. It seems that the AI trains in SoS are getting better acceleration uphill than players can get going downhill.

• Like Like x 2
  11. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

Get rid of the female on the footplate, PC gone mental.

Also where is the LMS coaching stock that was still in use. Well into the 1960's, i hasten to add i will not buy this in a month of Sundays.

I watched a couple of vids on YT and it was terrible.

Thank goodness for TSC, still being in existence.

• Like Like x 8
  12. iggl3p1ggle

iggl3p1ggle New Member

I am really enjoying Spirit of Steam, most fun I have had in TSW since Northern Transpennine and Great Western Express
    The detail is amazing, even down to the period accurate concrete lamp posts. Keep up the good work!

9ea28b0a-9c97-4ffa-82f8-2b7b6be060b8.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  13. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

I don't believe it is a bug in the sim, just somrthing they forgot to add to the DLC. I say that because playing WSR you get random formations of blood and custard and cream and chocolate coaches from time to time.

14. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

How about driving the train for the enjoyment of driving the train? Seriously, in TSC I gravitate more to workshop and standard scenarios because they do not have the ridiculous career point system.

I know - different horses for different courses, but really—-lack of achievements now make a route unplayable? Obviously I look for different things in a simulation. Kudos to DTG for their labors and commitments in developing this route. Looking forward to the future additions to the steam era in both DLC and routes.

• Like Like x 7
  15. Silent Hunter

Silent Hunter New Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Not even that, as they're in the scenarios.

17. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

As far as I’m aware, only Joe does it properly. The normal DTG policy is still to use AI times.

Reminds me of what Joe said about DCZ. There, the real timetable was so tight for whatever reason that not even TSW’s AI trains could keep up. Apparently, it all balanced out with a large buffer at the terminus stations.

• Like Like x 1
  18. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Which if true is very disappointing; DTG need to STOP that practice.

• Like Like x 7
  19. solicitr

I have a suspicion that the in-game 612 doesn't match the real one's acceleration.

• Like Like x 2
  20. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Has anyone else noticed that Liverpool Lime Street is void of any ambient sound whatsoever?

Just outside the station you hear it but once entering the station it literally goes silent? Quite an immersion breaker as it’s supposed to be full of noise.

• Like Like x 5
  21. thomas#3640

thomas#3640 New Member

Happy platinum jubilee to my Brit friends. And really nice work. I'm very happy with my purchase.
    On the third rainy scenario, "Let off Some Steam", I have plenty of steam and power to wheels and use sand, but I can't pull stock. I've also tried compressing and pulling with no success. My guess is I can't get vacuum charge on the rolling stock (vacuum gauge inside rear caboose reads zero). Gauge reads 21+ with small injector open. Loco handbrake is released, and if I uncouple the loco rolls just fine. I must be missing a lever somewhere. A manual would be nice.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I picked up collectibles on SOS.
    Even footsteps while walking, we do not hear them.

• Like Like x 1
  23. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

This is a consist of unfitted and fitted stock -- unfortunately the fitted stock is isolated by the unfitted so not controllable from the locomotive - you can walk to each fitted wagon and manually release the brakes by pulling a cord on wither side of the wagon - hard to see but it is near the wheel and frame on the side. After you release the brakes -all works well

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. thomas#3640

thomas#3640 New Member

Excellent! Thank you. Despite the pain of not knowing those exist. It is a nice detail.

• Like Like x 1
  25. thomas#3640

thomas#3640 New Member

Brakes were released. I was able to get out by leaving the power just below slip and walking away for an hour. Once it was far enough away from the station I was able to increment.

26. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

I found the ambient sounds to be around the entrance/ticket hall and nothing at the ends of the platforms were the locos usually are.

I also found the engine and cargo sheds to have some nice ambient sounds, but got annoyed of keep falling down the pits that have no way to get back out

27. solicitr

They shouldn't have been set up that way; in real life, completely unfitted wagons went at the back, for obvious reasons; next to the engine came either fitted or "pass-through" wagons (these didn't have brakes but did have vacuum hoses)

• Like Like x 1
  28. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Has anyone else got trapped in the inspection pits at Edge Hill depot (the bit next to the station with some carriages inside)? For some reason it isn't letting me climb out via the stairs.

• Like Like x 1
  29. meridian#2659

You need to crouch (c) and just walk to the stairs. This way i could get out.

30. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

I did try that without luck, maybe it works on some of the inspection pits but not others?

31. solicitr

Yes, happened to me too.

32. solicitr

Nope, didn't work.

33. meridian#2659

Ill test it again, which pit exactly? My successful attempt was inside an engine shed

34. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

that is not showing in the steam on my computer

35. meridian#2659

Yes actually very few work. Looks like i got the one where i could glitch back on the east side engine shed.

36. Delta_Who

Delta_Who Well-Known Member

Loving the Jubilee so far, but the Stanier... I've consistently had 3 derailments with **Light** braking (known bug).

Like why DTG? Why why why would you look at that and go.... "Mmhhhmmm, that won't be a problem. Ship it!"

Absolutely rediculous.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. thomas#3640

thomas#3640 New Member

Not to put salt in the wound. I'm curious how many derailments they had per year on that route back then. From January to March this year, we've had 289 derailments in the US.

38. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

They took this one from Rivet's playbook. Arosa kept derailing too till the first patch.

• Like Like x 2
  39. Mitchellman151

Mitchellman151 Member

has anyone else noticed the miles walked on foot seems to be the same as the miles driven in the locos, ive walked 90 miles apparently so far! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  40. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Had a top speed (slip) run today. Check out this mph. Only downside was, I ran many miles on the route slipping like this even with the regulator off and braking. This was on the worst winter scenario. It appears that simugraph melted.

Slippy.png

• Like Like x 3
  41. breblimator

breblimator Guest

You spend a lot of time with a DLC that you advise against purchasing on Steam. Interesting or maybe even funy. BR

• Like Like x 1
  42. Clumsy Pacer

It's been like that since Rush Hour launched.

43. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

I've spent a while walking about collecting items, and the walking mileage has not changed from zero.. so there's a bug there...

• Like Like x 1
  44. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Just watching a YT review clip and the steam physics are laughable.

Guy was doing a run with the Jubilee on a stopper from Ditton into Lime Street. Now for some reason he left the reverser in 75% forward cut off and with 100% regulator was able to get up to 41 MPH. So many things wrong with that. Apart from the speed achieved, running with the controls in that position would put the fire through the stack. In fact one of the older text based sims (Simudrive) would terminate the run if you kept the reverser in full forward for anything other than the immediate start and didn't start winding it quickly back to less than 50%. In addition, looking at the HUD steam pressure dropped rapidly but the loco kept going. Leaving aside the fire issues, if steam pressure drops too far you will simply come to a stand both due to lack of momentum and the ejectors not being able to maintain the vacuum.

So this does seem to be steam simulation "lite" if not out and out arcade level. Even Trainz, as much as it grieves me to say, does steam better.

• Like Like x 4
  45. Clumsy Pacer

Well when I stopped accelerating in the Jubilee to build the pressure up I found it to accelerate quicker with a higher boiler pressure.

46. IsambardKingdomBrunel

Completely wrong then, as fitted stock was always marshalled behind the loco\tender. For the very reason you describe, the trainspotters at DTG strike again.

• Like Like x 1
  47. IsambardKingdomBrunel

Trainz physics even in DCC mode are better than TSW2 now. No longer do powered consists stop dead, when the DCC control is moved to stop position. They carry on rolling with forward momentum, as in the real world.

• Like Like x 1
  48. VictoryWorks

VictoryWorks Well-Known Member

They acknowledged this as a mistake as soon as it was pointed out and it will be fixed.
    The bigger question is, how on earth did a train not moving at the start of 1 of the 6 scenarios not get picked up by QA?! I can understand them not testing every one of the 100+ timetabled service but sheesh, the 6 you give to new players as scenarios should be flawless experiences and tested to death.

• Like Like x 6
  49. IsambardKingdomBrunel

All i know is it is unrealistic VW, which is all i am interested in sorry.

• Like Like x 2
  50. Subway#2400

Subway#2400 Active Member

I have an issue on the 07:27 from Chester to Liverpool. Departing Runcorn, all the signals are green. And then the semaphore just before Ditton Junction is red. There is no yellow light, no warning before. I tried two times. Did I miss something ?

• Like Like x 2