Spirit Of Steam Post Release Feedback. The Definitive Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, May 31, 2022.

1. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

That's not what's happening though. It's CL green followed by red.

And to the WCML fast line braking distance quandary: What's wrong here then, if we have 800 yds to 0.8 mile from distant to outer home at 90mph?

2. MRFS

MRFS Staff Member

You mentioned diversionary route.

Distants are correctly geolocated; and the speeds are as per the 1937 SA, IIRC.

3. Jonsutt1

Jonsutt1 Active Member

I am so enjoying Spirit of Steam. I think DTG has done a great job in their first steam route. However I find the immersion is somewhat broken by the clothing depicted in the game. In the 1950s, the UK was still suffering the aftermath of World War 2. Rationing still existed for many everyday things and there was a shortage of many so-called luxury items.

In my recollection (and I was around at that time), men's trousers were generally big and baggy and would often be part of an old suit. The skinny jeans observed in the game are 60 years too early and would not have existed in the UK in the 1950s. Indeed denim jeans only started appearing here at the very end of the 1950s and were big and baggy. More tailored (less baggy) jeans only started to become popular in the 1960s.

Men's jackets in the 1950s were often shapeless and baggy. Many men went out and about in what looked like a hand-me-down suit from their father. This was a hard, drab decade!

Women's fashions were somewhat formal and drab looking. No bright colours. Again, much use of hand-me-downs and making do.

It sounds somewhat austere and that's because it was. That's why the 1960s was such a great and important decade, because everything changed!

I would have thought that steam loco crews of the time would have worn a one piece cotton boiler suit, probably navy blue in colour.

Just my thoughts.

• Like Like x 5
  4. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

maybe there was a recent sale on blue suits, at one of the local clothing store:love::love::love::):love::)

• Like Like x 3
  5. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

Yes, green is given on the CL distant & 3 aspect CL down fast to Ditton when the 3 aspect should be yellow - either for the outer home to be stop or diversion (the diversion crossover is 15mph), but it's only showing green; as if its not talking to the outer home - so you're going from green to red.

If the DF distant braking distances are correct at Winsford that's quite amazing. At 75mph (let alone 90mph - which would be rare I'm guessing) with a braking distance of 800 yards from distant to outer home you cannot stop a set of Mk1s. Try dropping an AI train at Winsford down platform and approach from Crewe at linespeed. Set the AI to depart after your arrival time to ensure he doesn't move.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
  6. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering if MRFS is part of DTG's signalling team? If so it's nice to have a direct contact for signalling issues.

7. BlackSkyuk

BlackSkyuk Active Member

I've made 3 passenger scenarios for this route, but when stop at stations it does not let me load/unload passengers and just tell me to go to the next stop. I have the passenger option selected on the train.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  8. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I've noticed this. I tried a couple of user made scenarios and it was almost like stopping for nothing. I ended up token opening the doors each time.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ben G

Ben G New Member

Few things from me - only just managed to get hold of the game after a holiday!

Good stuff so far:
    - scenarios are great, lots to do
    - nice choice of route to start I think, lots of detail and static vehicles which are nice.

Bad stuff:
    - Engines forever blowing off at the safety valve, I think my headphones are giving me tinitus as a result (especially with both locos doing it on the rescue scenario...!) (I appreciate this is going to be patched/fixed with firing update)
    - tail lamps, great to see them but: Coaches should only run with one lamp on the back (Royal trains would have two) could this be similar in that we can choose which lamp bracket to use like the locos?
    - Freight brake lamps, default seems to be the two side lamps showing, the primary, middle/lower lamps doesn't default (fully fitted trains wouldn't have side lamps only single lower lamp).
    - MK1 coaches should run with buffers extended and Buckeyes down on the ends of formations, the default is the wrong way round (I know this was also an issue in WSR / NTP)
    - Vacuum brakes don't feel quite right on application, especially on passenger stock, I'd expect more drag around 12-15" vacuum, from experience in the real world.

Keep it up though, great first entry into steam! I'm looking forward to GWR locos featuring and us having to bleed the vacuum brakes every time we swap from the Western engine!

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

I know this question has been asked before (can't remember where and can't remember if there was an answer) but why are there no speed signs and whistle signs on the route? Surely they were around in 1958!?!

• Like Like x 4
  11. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Thats something i would be interested too. Not so sure, since without a speed indicator all is based on the drivers knowledge.
    But good question though.

12. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

Yes they were, whistle signs pre-date nationalisation. Speed signs were introduced in the early 1950's, cast signs painted white.

Repainted yellow after the severe winter of 1962-63. As it was realised white was hard to make out in fog and snow.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Scorpion71

Thanks.

Yes, I recall seeing white ones in many old photo's but never knew the period they were set in, also interesting why they changed to yellow, didn't know what was the reason.

Oh well DTG, over to you to get these in the route, please.......... Afterall, isn't it authenticity you are after

• Like Like x 3
  14. MRFS

MRFS Staff Member

No evidence of either whistle signs or speed signs pre-1960, autumn 1959 at a pinch.

There are pictures of Hartford Junction with speed signs, but that picture was taken in 1960.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. IsambardKingdomBrunel

Completely wrong. they were introduced piecemeal in the early to mid 1950's. Adopted wholesale in 1957, using the LNER style white cast signs.

• Like Like x 2
  16. IsambardKingdomBrunel

[​IMG] GWR

• Like Like x 1
  17. IsambardKingdomBrunel

[​IMG]LNER

• Like Like x 1
  18. MRFS

MRFS Staff Member

As I said: no evidence found. If authenticity is key, then imagination is not the mother of invention.

• Like Like x 2
  19. IsambardKingdomBrunel

You are wrong so just admit it. Another trainspotter who thinks he knows it all.

Ignore List

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  20. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

Woodside box between Ditton and Speke's Y-G-Y distant signal isn't 'reading through' to the starter signal - another colour light bug. I've put up a post in technical support, so hope the devs can look at the signals in that area too. https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...t-reading-through-to-the-next-signal-s.55658/

I'm not surprised people are spadding. After driving up from Crewe it's very annoying to get a red signal without any warning and not being able to stop at it. I have some scenarios in the works with AI interaction, but if some of the distants won't show yellow there's no point uploading.

• Like Like x 2
  21. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I do remember when Derek Siddle built his Weardale route for TSC, which was set in the steam period. He had put in speed limit signs and was rounded on by someone who said there shouldn't be speed limit signs on the route. He had put them in for playability and to be helpful. This explanation wasn't met in a very charitable way if I recall.

Maybe there weren't any speed limit signs on the SOS route in 1958. If there were then they should be there.

I am sure whistle boards were around though.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  22. IsambardKingdomBrunel

I don't say anything or make statements, unless i know i am 100% correct.

• Like Like x 1
  23. MRFS

MRFS Staff Member

As I said; there was no evidence found for either of them on this route in this time period; even around Edge Hill where scheme plans for the transition from signalboxes to the PSB have been consulted.

Nor is there any record of installations of either in what can be found of the WONs (or equivalent) for the line until later on in 1959; and even then only around the southern half of the line in scattered locations.

• Like Like x 2
  24. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Just because there is no evidence doesn't mean to say the route shouldn't have properly sequenced signals from a playability POV, if nothing else. Yet another reason not to invest £25 in this botched project.

• Like Like x 1
  25. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Not sure if there are any Whistle boards but I thought some would like to see this video.

• Like Like x 3
  26. MRFS

MRFS Staff Member

Hi bescot,

The important thing to note about the malfunctioning distants: these are very much isolated incidents and not system-wide bugs at all by any stretch. The vast, vast majority of distant signals are working as designed: and you can be confident that the system works well across the entire route, apart from this tiny number.

Any dodgy distant is a disappointment and anything that is bugged will be attended to ASAP, so I'd suggest that you do upload your scenarios soon - as there is so much that is good about this route.

• Like Like x 3
  27. hydraulicfan

hydraulicfan New Member

One definite improvement is a Jubilee now seems to max out at around 85 mph on the level with 10 coaches. When first released it was possible to get up to 104/105 heading north by Weaver Jn and 121/122 through Ditton. That’s now a much more realistic (if speeding) 85/86 and 102/103. On top of that, the loco no longer spends most of the journey blowing-off, sitting at 210 psi most of the time.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
  28. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

Oh absolutely, I've always been an advocate of protypical signalling and the team have done a great job here! The signal scripting must have been a huge feat.

Let us hope the couple of faulty distants can be fixed.

Btw, can you confirm that the DF distant at Woodside should be a Y-G-Y and capable of showing double yellow?

• Like Like x 1
  29. MRFS

MRFS Staff Member

I'm currently in a belfry, and unable to directly check, but if there are at least two stop arms in advance of the distant yes.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  30. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

Well I finally got round to uploading one of my busy scenarios. Took a while as you need a DT live screenshot, and this never works for me.

Could I suggest some scenario planner pathing additions or alterations for any further updates to this DLC? Could do with slow line paths on the WCML section. Also currently, goods traffic from Basford Hall is all routed through a single platform at Crewe, so if you get a passenger train there you get a blockage. The path from Basford could go via the avoiding lines and station through lines instead.

• Like Like x 2
  31. Scorpion71

Yeah, the pathing options are ridiculously low as per. I mean, if they're going to give us a very poor low number of services in timetable mode at least give us lots of pathing options to make scenario's very busy!

• Like Like x 3
  32. chieflongshin

I was just wondering who is actively still playing this route. I was proper on the fence initially, not liking, then it growing me and then now…..

Every time I turn the game on I just go back to Germany because it’s busy and alive .

I think I’ve realised I should have trusted my gut instinct until the route was busier.

How do you find it a month in?

• Like Like x 2
  33. OldVern

I have noticed discussion of it has declined rapidly. Was looking for a slight discount in the sale to maybe tempt me, but not happening. With all the steam stuff I’ve purchased for TSC including the excellent NZ route and Ja class loco plenty to keep me occupied there, along with a rekindling of interest in ATS and ETS2. In fact apart from a quick look at the refurbished GWE, TSW as a whole is pretty much stagnated for me at present.

I am beginning to wonder if SoS wasn’t a bit of a flop. If that is the case entirely down to DTG for choosing such a poor short route rather than something more iconic.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  34. VictoryWorks

VictoryWorks Well-Known Member

The argument about speed signs is hilarious and typical DTG...

DTG: There were no speed signs in reality so we're not placing them
    Players: But we don't have the route knowledge that drivers would have had
    DTG: Don't care, not historical
    Players: Why is my 1958 BR fireman a woman of colour?
    DTG: .....

• Like Like x 10
  35. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I am waiting for more DLC for it and the AI loco sounds to be fixed. It is just far too quiet, it certainly has potential, the driving experience was generally very good and seeing light engine movements around Lime Street shows that with desire from DTG it could be a very immersive route. It really needs, in my opinion at least two items of DLC including some different carriages to even start to get a real feel of the era at the time.

However it is likely, as with most TSW routes, not live up to its potential as we will only have what DTG give us and the very poor scenario planner does not make it easy to make the sort of scenarios you can in TSC, even if the way AI works in TSW is so much more advanced.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  36. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

I was excited for this DLC for a long time, but it's so quiet that I've found myself going back to the new GWE update, SEHS, BML and the busier German routes already. Badly needs at least a couple of new locos and more varied carriage stock - the whole route feels almost totally empty.

• Like Like x 7
  37. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I still can't fathom why they didn't bung in a Gronk with this route. They might have to tweak it a bit to fit in with the era but most of the work is already done although they didn't seem to care with other stuff that wasn't in 1958. Just adding that Gronk would just flush the route out a bit more but to me you are now left with another typical DTG route that feels 'empty'.

• Like Like x 2
  38. chieflongshin

I loved the enthusiast selling the route and the yards that can played in..... well unless you want to spend ages in scenario creator the yards most of the time look empty.

I jumped from Rhein Ruhr to SOS earlier and the difference in ambient trackside scenery was huge. It still boggles me there's loads of basic texture with nothing in it.

it's like creating the historic route they pulled off the town areas but in between had a massive aversion to dropping a bush in

39. Bristolian

Bristolian Member

Good evening. I know that it's been mentioned previously, but can the 16T Minerals be fixed so that the coal doesn't stick out of the lower bodysides?. Also, the number ranges of those wagons is incorrect, which grated when compared to that on the Conflats or 12T vans for example.

While the 8F and Jubilee are nicely modelled overall, the Black 5 is a great omission from the Stanier family for an LM route in steam days!. Will we see more steam locos down the line?. (Pun intended).

40. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

SoS is badly hampered by the absence of other locomotives.
    It just feels empty with only two.

Frankly it's a good demonstration but lacks immersion.
    Sadly it's not worth the money until there is more activity on the route.

• Like Like x 6
  41. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Thats the downside of a first release of a new time period. Was the same with the start of tsw at all. If you compare now & then, it was worth waiting.

Thats the same with sos, just needs the time for new routes with new locos to get to that point. A great variety can only be achieved by supporting that.

For a next dlc i wish something like a smaller coillery line. The maerdy branch would be a good example. But would be very surprised if DTG doesnt have anything in the pipeline.

42. chieflongshin

I think one challenge they may face is where so they put their next steam locos.
    • Do they do a standalone loco to pad this out
    • Do they do a new steam country to capture that user base
    I think it’s going to be a good few years to get a decent steam catalogue as they have three core player bases all wanting their country represented that they need to balance development against

43. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

That’s true. That’s why I was so suprised when they announced the jubilee. Why not a black 5? It’s a very similar locomotive but it could be put on any route around the country and pretty much be given any work, passenger or freight. So any future DLC would immediately have a locomotive ready for more layers etc.
    Instead they’ve got a locomotive that would only be used in certain regions and on certain trains.

Some more livery designer capabilities for the early diesels- class 20 & class 31 particularly would at least give scenario creators a bit more variety. Ideally DTG would make them green and layer them in themselves but it’s unlikely.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  44. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

I note that TSC has much more UK steam locos than US ones, and much more US steam locos than German ones...

45. OldVern

I still feel it was the wrong route and wrong choice of locos for a first attempt. A decent length of the Somerset and Dorset or Riviera Line would have been a far better choice of prototype. Still I will be interested to see how it runs in TSW3 come tomorrow evening.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  46. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I disagree. GWR were notably "quirky" about their locos all the way up to the Westerns, so an area like Crewe or York would likely give a greater range of locos that were used more widely

DTG have a history of this. They go for something flash or to give an impact rather than widest appeal. To my mind this is why we don't have pacers, sprinters, turbostars etc in TSW yet. Those trains are everywhere outside London but nope... we do have several iterations of Electrostars though

• Like Like x 2
  47. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

They have quite the back catalogue of BR diesels at the moment along with mk1’s and mk2’s and a whole host of wagons. Some of which are some of the best driving experiences in the game.

If they chose to do a new route set in BR blue they would immediately have quite a nice base layer timetable using this stock. Then they can include one or two new specific locomotives/dmu’s firmly planting the route in a specific location.

Most of these diesels were operating in the 1960’s and still operating today. Yet they don’t get used anywhere beyond their home route apart from a token railtour service on modern routes.

• Like Like x 1
  48. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Not sure which of the legacy diesels are still operating in revenue service other than maybe the 37s... certainly I've not seen a peak or a 47 hauling assets for several years

50. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Message empty sir

• Helpful Helpful x 1