Spirit Of Steam Post Release Feedback. The Definitive Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, May 31, 2022.

1. Old bug??
    Playing just 5 minutes and tunnel exit I get a Signal Passed at Danger, at exit of tunnel. It is a timetable at about 8:15am, happened twice now so its a problem.
    It told me SPAD for 1-2 seconds then went to the choice of return or replay etc.
    There is no signal in the tunnel........

Second time round I took these screenies and was looking for the signal...was going VERY slow too. 3Mph.....

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...l-tunnel-exit-northhampton.58667/#post-535335

2. Thanks I realised it a second after I pressed post reply......

3. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

There’s a pair of 20’s definitely, a number of 37’s, plenty of 47’s but most have been upgraded to 57’s mostly so I guess they might not count. Two 50’s still going. The last 31 went a few years ago sadly.
    Then most depots with loco hauled stock still have several 08 shunters.

If you go back 10 or even just 5 years there was quite a bit more in service. Even the deltic was pulling freight upto 2015, with the bauxite workings and deliveries of new Class 334 units in Scotland.

And then if you count rail tours then there’s a number more earning money. Particularly the likes of the ‘land cruise’ trains where the engine isn’t the focus, the journey and onboard service is.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
  4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Yeah there were a few up to the mid noughties but not many now on "normal service", all the ones you've listed are generally freight or specials (such as the Norfolk 37s which ran until the new trains came on stream)

5. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Yeh I think the only passenger services with ‘classic’ traction are the two sleepers now.
    GWR use several 57’s and Caledonian Sleeper have a 47 and 73.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MRFS

MRFS Staff Member

I don't. I'm minded to recall Robert Dell - who when tasked with automating the signalling on the London Underground went in and went hard. 24th September 1957 is the seminal date, a date that would also apply to most of Liverpool - Crewe. Dell arranged programme machine control of the southbound junction at Camden Town where the two Charing Cross branches converge. Nothing quite of its sort had been done before [1] and he proved his point - if it could cope with the Northern Line in both rush hours it could cope with anything that the entire LU network could throw at it.

So; how does this relate to Liverpool - Crewe? Well, for the choice of route it gave an almost unparalleled test bed for the signalling technology - something that would not present itself in quite such a way with the rather bland and anodyne GW signalling [2] of the Riviera Route, neither would there be as many technical obstacles with large swathes of the Somerset and Dorset, where the only thing beyond possibly picking up the correct tablet [3] is the famous "bowtie" backing signal. So, for the wrong route you have:

1. Colour Light Intermediate Block Homes and Distants.
    2. Semaphore IB signals in advance of and in rear of (Weaver Junction) the controlling signalbox.
    3. Routing Homes.
    4. A mix of Accelerating and Auxiliary Distants.
    5. Splitting Distants (and IIRC splitting Inner and Outer Distants.)
    6. Then the ordinary stuff like Inner, Outer and Intermediate Homes, Starters and Advanced Starters that can be precisely matched to the distant, or more particularly the distant unlike no other DTG route ever before has now got precisely controllable behaviour
    7. Multiple transitions between upper and lower quadrant and colour lights interposed between those.

Of those you might have gained IBs in rear and splitting distants from the Riviera Route, and simple distant functionality from the S&D.

So what does that mean in practice, if you can't be bothered to read the above (a tl, dr):
    thanks to the technical innovations of Liverpool Crewe:

DTG can now conceptually model any two-position semaphore system globally.
    DTG can now cover (with minor art alterations to the assets) Upper Quadrant British [4] signalling from the 1920s to the present day. That's a century of signalling practice.
    DTG can now cover (with slightly more significant art alterations to the assets) lower quadrant signalling from c.1874 to the present day that's a century and a half of signalling practice [5]
    DTG can now model (or give a spirited attempt at) most of the signalboxes on the WCML, out to Bedford and Potton, Portarddulais, Caergybi and as far north as Carlisle with the modular assets.

I put it to you that it was exactly the correct route. (if you read this far, excuse the tautology). Neither the Rivera Line or the S&D would contribute in such a significant manner to the technical capabilities of DTG's semaphore signal modelling.

[1] if anyone mentions the route setting by train description at Wood Green, you get a brownie point, but this was automatic.
    [2] yes, very formulaic and conservative at least within the mechanical era - signalling innovation within the GW era only really started up again with the use of turn-push panels and some very elegant freewired swinging overlaps.
    [3] one of the DTG signal devs is born as result of Abermule.
    [4] this covers Burma, and some parts of Thailand as well.
    [5] Most states of Australia, NZ, sizeable chunks of Argentina, Chile, India, Madagascar, Pakistan (in fact with similar alterations to the UQ side, most of South Africa would be doable

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  7. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

All of which are places that DTG will never do...

• Like Like x 1
  8. MRFS

MRFS Staff Member

Sat next to me is a hard drive with signalling diagrams for the entirety of New South Wales, most of Victoria, every single known NZGR Signalling and Interlocking circular, a few spots of India and Pakistan (albeit Pakistan is just the 2' 6") and lots of South Africa.

<shrug>

Geographical considerations aside: be that as it may for something that is the "wrong" route, it is far from that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. eldomtom2

And what does that have to do with DTG?

• Like Like x 1
  10. MRFS

MRFS Staff Member

Look at the TSW credits.

• Like Like x 1
  11. eldomtom2

Are you claiming to be a DTG employee?

• Like Like x 1
  12. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

IMO if I wanted to show off steam in all it's glory I would not have chosen this route as it didn't excite me. Crewe to Birmingham would have been better. But I would have chosen an iconic steam engine like the Mallard or even the Princess Elizabeth along with an industrial route, I would have been tempted although I should admit my interest in steam would have been in the 1820's to around the 1870's.

13. At first I thought that but after playing I'm hooked!
    Hope they do a few more steam routes like Western Lines of Scotland and maybe a route near or from London?
    Or West Coast Main line...

• Like Like x 1
  14. royalscot#3684

royalscot#3684 Well-Known Member

The legendary Somerset and Dorset across the Mendips in early 1960s would have been great - a busy, scenic route with varied power and rolling stock. They could still do it using these two locos, but perhaps adding a 7F, 4F or a 9F. The 101 would also be suitable as it was used on the S and D for excursions.

• Like Like x 1
  15. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Bit of a necrobump on this but just to keep things in one place. I took these TSW3 shots today on really reliable rescue. Something isn't ticking right with this route. Super blown out, awful FPS on a 2080ti and the textures around the tracks with all the weird shapes just dont look good.

Has anyone else any shots they are happy to share just to put this on the radar.

Does anyone know if this route is getting a good sweep up by special projects?
    Screenshot (421).png Screenshot (422).png Screenshot (423).jpg

16. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

The blown out bloom effect has been there since tsw3 released. It's the brightest compared to sehs and cjp. For the fps, that's just a normal thing. There's a lot of assets, there's a giant yard, new lighting and clouds might play a role. Even on the most powerful machine out there, you won't get a solid 60fps everywhere. I haven't touched this route since it's been released on tsw3 cuz of the lighting and other issues that are present

• Like Like x 2
  17. I think DTG really need to tone down the lighting on this route. It looks magnificent at certain times of the day, dusk/dawn. Those strange shapes in the ballast have been that way from release.

I think the only route this bright lighting really fits well is CJP.

• Like Like x 1
  18. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Agreed, It's nothing new as such since release but it would be good to understand if any of this is being reviewed moving forward. I don't really use this route a lot as it's not my fave however if they release future loco dlc would you want to keep looking at it?
    Agreed they're big old yards too.

19. Hopeful, I'm hopeful.