Spirit Of Steam (+ Wcl) Patch Next Week

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by DTG JD, Apr 26, 2023.

1. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Hey folks - just wanted to jump in and talk updates to SoS. Our current plan is to - as part of the pre-release patch for Peak Forest - address some of the current feedback we've seen within Spirit of Steam. This will be released next week.

Some of the current list (subject to the thumbs-up by our QA team):
    • Physics updates to 8F and Jubilee
    • Jubilee introduction, and 'Really Reliable Rescue' and 'The Tables Have Turned' scenarios should now be completable
    • Derailments when coupling to wagons in Edge Hill should be fixed
    • Derailments when going up a steep bank near Edge Hill signal box should be fixed (added 27th April)
    • Gold medal now achievable on Bovine Blockage Scenario
    • Reduction in volume of safety valves
    • AI locos causing SPADs (added 27th April)
    • Fixed headlights not showing on AI Jubilees (taillights is something we'll investigate later) (added 27th April)
    • Fixed Scenario Planner formations so that loaded wagons don't face empty wagons (added 27th April)
    All of the physics improvements will be ported to both Spirit of Steam and West Cornwall Local Steam Railtour, and be there on day one for Peak Forest (for the Jubilee, 8F, and 4F).

Note: manual firing is still in the process of being scoped out, so will not be a part of this update. We're also investigating intermittent running sounds for AI locos, but it's unlikely these will come with this update.

We also hope to get the promised Loco Add-on Bundle improvements out in the patch too. Full patch notes will be available upon release.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 38
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Any fix for Time For Scouse Scenario where you derail every time at the points at the coaling stage?
    Hope this is just omitted from the patch notes

3. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

What platform are you on redrev1917 i'll take a look now. i'm sure i've finished that scenario loads in the past but maybe it got broken somehwere somehow?

• Like Like x 1
  4. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

Nice updates but it’s academic until the ai spad issue is sorted. I’ll start playing sos again and think about buying the new route when that’s done.

I don’t want to get frustrated by running a service and then having it crap out from an ai spad

• Like Like x 3
  5. JD is the fail out of the middle of no where on the timetable services going to be fixed for PC Steam on the Sos?? in this patch this is one of reasons why i have had Sos not downloaded because its unplayable

6. DTG Matt

Thats the AI spad issue. I think I have a fix for that, its part of whats being tested.

• Like Like x 8
  7. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

That’s good to hear. I didn’t buy sos when it came out for tsw2 then decided to buy the tsw3 deluxe edition for it. Had a blast doing the scenarios sans the impossible gold on bovine blockage. Then first passenger service terminated by ai spad then first freight service terminated by derailing when coupling in the yard. That’s when I stopped playing it.

so I’m glad the ai spad is on the road to fixed. I want to get back to sos and check out the new route.

8. redrev1917

Hi, Im on steam, I last attempted it 18/3 and derailed at the same point every time.

Theres a thread in the tech forum about the issues, with a work around although I havent attempted it myself

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/spirit-of-steam-time-for-scouse.62290/

9. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

Hopefully the SPAD testing goes well and it releases with the patch. Been looking forward to going in and 100% completing Spirit of Steam!

10. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Is it AI though as always seems to occur at the same place under the Independent Line tunnels, regardless of time in the scenario? Seems to me like a bad or misplaced signal link that’s tripping up the player train, though not knowing how these things work in the UE4 editor I’m probably talking dangly bits again.

The other concern is sound levels. I can tolerate the safety valve going off to some extent but tone it down so it doesn’t drown out the other sounds. EDIT: See that part is on the agenda. Though as I said elsewhere, the exhaust sound also needs looking at so there is still a quick but distinctive chuff rhythm above about 35 MPH, not just a wall of white sound.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

So, if I've understood this correctly neither Peak forest or spirit of steam are getting any kind of manual firing. Wasn't this promised months ago when SOS was first released?

• Like Like x 9
  12. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

On the freight services that I’ve had SPAD issues occur. I’ve noticed a locomotive on the Lime Street turntable always passes the red signal on the turntable exit, it just ignores it and tries to carry on.

13. redrev1917

I always thought that, as its like its the same place everytime, doesnt matter if your fast or slow. Plus when you look at the 2D map its directly beneath a signal on the lines over the tunnel.

• Like Like x 1
  14. schorni

schorni Well-Known Member

Still no Niddertalbahn patch, although it would be necessary...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Vector224

Vector224 Member

Hi any news on the empty loaded freight 8F in custom scenarios please

16. BeastyBill88

BeastyBill88 Well-Known Member

DTG JD DTG Matt will the 4F be layered into the SoS timetable when Peak forest is released? Also when can we expect the pre release patch to drop?

17. graham.haddon

graham.haddon Well-Known Member

I thought the ai sounds being intermittent was being investigated from when SoS came out more or less?

Is the HUD showing wheel slip and the speedometer fluctuating at high speeds being fixed in this update? Seems to be linked to the cut off percentage.

Cheers,
    Graham

• Like Like x 1
  18. OldVern

Sorry to ping DTG Matt but this would seem to bear looking at.

19. DTG Matt

The AI spad is, as noted above, AI trains coming off the turntable at Liverpool Lime Street, I think the proximity of the stop light so close to the turntable is what's causing the issues. Doesn't matter where you are or what you're doing - but the relative clockwork nature of some aspects of the timetable might mean you see it essentially at same or similar points as multiple trains do the same things during the day at similar times.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Vector224

Vector224 Member

Hi does anyone have empty loaded freight with the 8F in custom scenarios?

21. DTG Matt

Just tried Time For Scouse in development build and its fine - going to re-test in shipping build, perhaps it's been fixed by other changes that have gone on.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

This has been a problem since SOS launch,i noted that everytime i've place any steam with the loaded option in scenario planner every ones appeared empty.This has been mentioned many time before yet never address.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Vector224

Vector224 Member

I'm really hoping that it's fixed before or when peak forest is released as it'd be nice to drive a loaded 4F on spirit of steam

24. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update JD / Matt. Could you please let us know if there are any plans to fix the following:

- Blood & custard coaches not turning up in timetable mode
    - Lamps not showing in correct positions on almost any train
    - Fireman still not showing up properly on a number of trains, particularly when taking over a service on foot
    - Introduction of rush hour passengers

And in terms of bringing the route up to scratch more generally:

- Any timetable revision planned? (given AI timings are currently present and impossible to meet, not to mention significantly faster than the real-life timetable)
    - Are there any plans (firm or otherwise) to bring the 4F as a layer onto SoS timetable in the future given how empty it is?

• Like Like x 9
  25. SHINO BAZ

This also has affected passenger trains as well,but not as offen.The choosing loaded and getting a empty train.(The TGV suffered from this problem alot).

26. March Hare

March Hare Well-Known Member

This is reassuring. I bought TSW3 partly for the save game fix, partly for SoS – but I've completely avoided playing SoS until fixes arrive. Looking forward to it.

27. DTG Matt

Just re-played Time For Scouse in the shipping build (the same one you have) and it's letting me get to the coal loader no problem at all (and I was not driving that loco gently! ...).

Can someone re-test here and see if you're seeing the same as me? If you are seeing a problem - please send me a video :)

28. theBrummieTSWDriver

theBrummieTSWDriver Active Member

Thanks DTG JD and DTG Matt for this long awaited news that SoS is getting its well deserved patch.
    Now hopefully I will finally get to enjoy playing SoS? Which was the main reason why I purchased TSW3.

29. theBrummieTSWDriver

Yeh, I discovered to avoid derailing, is not to take it steady, but to drive at the line speed to the coal chute.

30. DTG Matt

Oh? ok i'll go try driving very carefully and slowly then :)

• Like Like x 6
  31. Matzo

Matzo Active Member

My issue with "Time for Scouse" isn't getting to the coal loader, it's on the decent into lime Street, always get hit with a "Scenario Failure" message half way down.

I'm assuming it's the loco on the turntable edging forward as mentioned above.

• Like Like x 1
  32. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, manual firing is still in the design stage nearly a year after SoS's release?

• Like Like x 4
  33. OldVern

I hear what you say Matt but given both myself and the Rev have observed this, really think it at least deserves someone to take a look in the editor. My experience of the SPAD termination is most definitely location based. In itself, there should surely be an inhibit anyway that an AI SPAD remote from the player train, unlikely to impact it should not terminate the scenario.

34. fabienlimp95

fabienlimp95 Well-Known Member

One Question regarding the HUD. In the menu you can see under 'HUD' that there is a special area for steam trains that displays how much Coal and water you have, yet i cannot activate it. Iirc, there is a possibility to run out of coal (in the fire box) so the fire will be extinguished, also i think this is the reason for the 'random' Scenario failed massages isn't it ?

Wouldn't it be helpful to have that display on the HUD working so we know before we run out of coal ?

35. SHINO BAZ

I hoping the 4F is getting us closer to the one steam loco the UK routes really need a true 0-6-0.Big steam loco are great but there not really the best shunters for smaller lines.

• Like Like x 1
  36. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Any chance of having a look at the wonky buildings? These are mainly the terraced housing asset that is used throughout the route that has a very bad LOD issue at least on PS5. Not a right angle in sight until very close to the building. Was reported at the release of SoS oh so many moons ago. Other buildings still have their parallel lines intact when going to lower LODs so there should be no reason for these auto generated LODs to appear so close to the action.

• Like Like x 1
  37. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

To the best of my knowledge:
    • B&C coaches - chatted to Matt, and it's a memory issue causing crashes. Will reassess with the new updates.
    • Lamps - I'm not sure I've seen that; are you able to tag me in a thread that mentions it, please, so I can get more details?
    • Fireman - I know this is being reviewed currently for PF, I don't know about improvements to SoS though. It's not on the current changelog as far as I'm aware.
    • Rush Hour passengers - have to be honest, wasn't aware those weren't already in there! We'll look at that after release.
    • Timetable revision - none planned at the moment.
    • 4F layer - an aspiration to have it, no firm plans though.

• Like Like x 2
  38. DTG Matt

Not sure what you're asking here Vern - i'm literally testing a fix for the AI spad problem at the moment and thought i'd said as much.

As far as I can see so far it's fixed - my usual test case of spawning on foot at 08:20 and waiting for the train to do its thing in Liverpool works fine, and starting an Edgehill southbound freight service around that time and heading south, I had no issues either, so far as I can see... it's all sorted, but that's not with extensive testing (not been that many hours since I got a build with the fix in...)

I've also fixed the derailment experienced on the 06:36 coach shunting service where the train jumps off the track next to the signalbox, along with any other services like it (there were two or three using the same path that have been fixed), and I fixed all the edge hill freight services that derail as soon as you couple to them. Along with a few other minor things.

Tested most of that myself so far briefly in test build and from that brief look, it seems much better. I've asked Beta team to give it a thrash.

Matt.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  39. theBrummieTSWDriver

No 4F layer? That's so disappointing!

• Like Like x 9
  40. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Firstly:

Every class of train should show a specific pattern of lamps. This is the same as headcode discs (apart from the southern region but that isn’t applicable here). This pattern will change depending on what the locomotive is pulling. I’m not sure how you would implement it in timetable mode as I’m not sure if the train is able to ‘know’ what it is pulling but it can surely be done in scenarios.

Secondly:

Ai trains do not show tail lamps. No train would be allowed to run without one. This is a rule that is still in force today.

Thirdly:

The mk1 coaches currently have two lamps on the rear of the train. Either lamp iron can be used but only one tail lamp should be fitted. It looks silly at the moment.

Fourthly:

The lamps on the brake van are often wrong and the side lamps cannot be removed and are always present.

The lamps on the brake van are a little more complex. If the train is ‘fitted’, where the train is fully braked, then there only needs to be a single lamp on the back.
    If the train is ‘unfitted’, where all or part of the train is not continuously braked then there needs to be three red lamps on the rear and two white lights showing forward. The extra two red lamps and two white lights are from the lamp irons on the side of the brake van. This way the locomotive crew can check that the rear of the train has not broken away.
    The lamps are rearranged when a train is stationary in a loop for example but that’s more complexity that isn’t really worth trying to implement.

Again as with the front locomotive headlamps, I’m not sure if the brakevan will be able to ‘know’ whether the train is fitted or unfitted in timetable mode.
    The least you could do is ensure that the side lamps are able to be removed and placed and the brake van always has the centre taillamp.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  41. redrev1917

IIRC these where deliberately left out as wouldnt be prototypical back in the 1950s',

DTG Matt just tried Time For Scouse, first attempt at about 5-8mph derailed, tried again at speed (over 15mph but below speed limit) and didnt derail.

Down to 13 trips attempted which cant be completed now :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. DTG Matt

ok will try low speed.

• Like Like x 1
  43. OldVern

Fair enough then Matt, fingers crossed. We all want to love SoS and hopefully this along with the steam fixes will make it so... And add incentive to buy Peak Forest.

(Just need my RMB buffet car and the Class 104 DMU for PF... :cool::cool::cool:).

• Like Like x 2
  44. theBrummieTSWDriver

DTG Matt
    Time for Scouse.
    This is a vid' that I did to show the issue.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  45. DTG Matt

Thanks for the vid - i've had lmited success at reproducing it - have done once so far - then every other time it worked, sods law. Will continue looking at it.

• Like Like x 3
  46. Jay1986

Jay1986 Well-Known Member

Would be great if wcl got the TSW3 lightening, since you’ve added dlc to the route.
    You put the Boston sprinter in the oven to cook, and that came out looking tasty.

• Like Like x 1
  47. germano.ciavone

germano.ciavone New Member

Hello!
    "*Reduction in volume of safety valves"

It means that the behavior of the boiler due to a poor Firing AI (manual firing absence) has not been fixed yet.. and to make it less painful you just turn the volume of the valve down?

Please, tell me that I'm wrong.
    Thanks.

• Like Like x 7
  48. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

Can't they just set the level of the fireman to below the safety valve? Unless they lost control of the fireman and he never stops?

49. redrev1917

The problem we have with the fireman is that they cant read the road ahead, they dont care if you're coasting up to a station or got a long donw hill section ahead, its max steam pressure at all times regardless.

• Like Like x 4
  50. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It strikes me that the patient needed a knee replacement and instead the doctors have given him a peg-leg. Until firing is fixed and the ridiculous timetable is reworked, SOS will remain unplayed on my machine.

• Like Like x 11